Why didn't O'Day get a QO

Catch 8

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was reported that O'Day will give the Orioles the opportunity to beat the best offer he receives. If that was true, there is, of course, no need to report anything else concerning his negotiations with the Orioles until he is ready to make a decision.

Funny, I don't see him signing to that 3/21 deal that we all were hoping for. He gone. Oday might get something crazy like 3/30 or 4/36.

Maybe we should have QO'd him? But I don't think there'd be this much interest in him if we had.

This is going to be a common theme for our guys. Oday, Davis and Chen are all going to get deals that we couldn't imagine around the trade deadline. Wieters too, but I don't think we want him back. Hopefully not Pearce, but it's his one time hitting FA. DD better pull off some trades and we better nail this draft.

Funny, I don't see him signing to that 3/21 deal that we all were hoping for. He gone. Oday might get something crazy like 3/30 or 4/36.

Maybe we should have QO'd him? But I don't think there'd be this much interest in him if we had.

He will sign for 3/25 or 4/30. And the Orioles would never have been interested beyond the Gregerson level. That's why he has no QO. The Orioles treat Qualifying offers like they are a real thing.

It was reported that O'Day will give the Orioles the opportunity to beat the best offer he receives. If that was true, there is, of course, no need to report anything else concerning his negotiations with the Orioles until he is ready to make a decision.

I think O'Day extending the courtesy or allowing the O's a chance to match doesn't mean that the O's can not be proactive in their pursuit.

I'm still in favor of not retaining him at his likely cost.

I think O'Day extending the courtesy or allowing the O's a chance to match doesn't mean that the O's can not be proactive in their pursuit.

So DD should work hard to drive the price up and then consider matching the high bid that he has helped to push upward? BTW, I think you and I are on the same page in not having a keen interest in paying the kind of money people are talking about on a relief arm - even a very good one like O'Day.

So DD should work hard to drive the price up and then consider matching the high bid that he has helped to push upward? BTW, I think you and I are on the same page in not having a keen interest in paying the kind of money people are talking about on a relief arm - even a very good one like O'Day.

Three.

Besides the obvious reasons for keeping Oday, one is that we can then potentially dangle Britton. It's looking like we're in a bad spot this offseason. We have several important FA's. No spare MLB, depth, assets, to trade to fill any of the holes. The talent in the upper minors can't be counted on and really isn't going to fetch us anything in trades.

Right now this team needs 2 SP's, LF, RF, 1B, DH. That's alot.

We will all be laughing all the way to the bank as we save millions of dollars on O'Day. By the ASB 2017 he'll have proven that 2 years is too long for a reliever.

Oh yeah, my bad, it's not our money and the there has never been evidence that money saved on one player us spent on another. Whatever happened to all that money we saved on Mussina and Tex?

We will all be laughing all the way to the bank as we save millions of dollars on O'Day. By the ASB 2017 he'll have proven that 2 years is too long for a reliever.

Oh yeah, my bad, it's not our money and the there has never been evidence that money saved on one player us spent on another. Whatever happened to all that money we saved on Mussina and Tex?

I have no desire to pay O'Day big bucks' date=' but I still think he needed the QO, just like Nick did last year.[/quote']

Nick got 44 million. We underestimated that. O"Day's total value will be close enough to the 16 million that he will attack and we don't want that (I've got the power).

O'day is interesting because he is a dominating non power arm reliever. That is more rare and less risky than a hard thrower who gets injured more. It is a shame the Orioles did not extend him last season, or during the season. I think he would have taken a Hardyish, fair for everyone contract because he likes it here. Now however he is having stupid money waived at him that he would look stupid to ignore.

I

Nick got 44 million. We underestimated that. O"Day's total value will be close enough to the 16 million that he will attack and we don't want that (I've got the power).

I'm not sure that I understand what you are saying here Weams. Darren's pitching style is very easy on the arm and unique enough that he is hard to pick up even when players have seen him multiple tines due to arm slot, pitch movement etc,

I think he can pitch effectively a lot longer than the very arm throwers.

Archived