Yeah Hernandez!!!!!!

GotNitro

And some people elevate him to a status far superior than what he really was. He was an excellent bat and that was about it. Nothing else he did was impressive.

He was an average defensive player in his time here...Some years he was better, others he wasn't.

That is what he was...That is what 90% of what people saw and that is what stats say.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He was an average defensive player in his time here...Some years he was better, others he wasn't.

That is what he was...That is what 90% of what people saw and that is what stats say.

Well, he disappointed me big time defensively but offensively he did not. I expect an all-star to play like it on both offense and defense.

Well, he disappointed me big time defensively but offensively he did not. I expect an all-star to play like it on both offense and defense.

Understand something....I wanted better defense from him and I want better defense out of SS in general.

I am not saying he is some dynamo out there...He clearly had his issues out there but i do think they were blown out of proportion.

I want a better all around SS...Guys like Lillibridge and Hu...Good hitters and very good defensively.

I think everyone here wanted better defense from SS but Tejada is so good offensively, that his average defense is more than made up.

Understand something....I wanted better defense from him and I want better defense out of SS in general.

I am not saying he is some dynamo out there...He clearly had his issues out there but i do think they were blown out of proportion.

I want a better all around SS...Guys like Lillibridge and Hu...Good hitters and very good defensively.

I think everyone here wanted better defense from SS but Tejada is so good offensively, that his average defense is more than made up.

I disagree with the bolded part of your last sentence. Shortstop is such a key position you don't want any lack there defensively that has to be made up offensively. I would rather it be the other way around like it is now. Shortstop is just a much more position as far as fielding goes. Next to catcher it is the most important.

I disagree with the bolded part of your last sentence. Shortstop is such a key position you don't want any lack there defensively that has to be made up offensively. I would rather it be the other way around like it is now. Shortstop is just a much more position as far as fielding goes. Next to catcher it is the most important.

You can definitely get by with average at best defense.

The Indians SS, Peralta, isn't as good defensively as Tejada...The Indians had one of the top team ERAs in baseball and, of course, went to the playoffs.

So, bad defense at SS didn't hurt them.

I havent read the 14 pages worth of posts in this thread, but who wouldve thought that a thread that extended 14 pages on the Orioles Hangout wouldve ever been started from PRAISE for Luis Hernandez. I just kinda chuckle to myself about it Good job going 2-2 and laying down a nasty sac-bunt today LH, keep it for as long as you're around.

You can definitely get by with average at best defense.

The Indians SS, Peralta, isn't as good defensively as Tejada...The Indians had one of the top team ERAs in baseball and, of course, went to the playoffs.

So, bad defense at SS didn't hurt them.

Maybe they were lucky and maybe had they had a great defensive shortstop they might have gone further to win it all? Ergo, you don't truly know how much it might have hurt them period.

If you gave weight to defensive positions properly you would realize that as I have already pointed out, next to catcher the shortstop postion is the most vital on the field defensively. They have to cover more ground and make more plays than any other spot. It is also the toughest position to play and requires the most skill (other than catcher).

In the 4 years Miggy was here, his OPS with RISP was in the 850 range...His BA was over 300.

He drove in 150 runs in his first season.

Of course, none of that was clutch! :rolleyes:

Some people on this board have alzhemiers when it comes to Miggy...It is absolutely amazing to me.

150 RBI his first year. What about the later years? You don't bring those numbers up. An OPS of .850 with RISP and BA over .300 doesn't really give you any insight as to whether all of those situations were "clutch." I'd imagine that many of those hits came when we were either way ahead or way behind.

You still haven't provided me with the information I asked for: how many walkoffs he had during his days here. Do you remember any walkoff homeruns or hits? I recall two over many years.

Some people sure have amnesia when it comes to Tejada's days here.

150 RBI his first year. What about the later years? You don't bring those numbers up. An OPS of .850 with RISP and BA over .300 doesn't really give you any insight as to whether all of those situations were "clutch." I'd imagine that many of those hits came when we were either way ahead or way behind.

You still haven't provided me with the information I asked for: how many walkoffs he had during his days here. Do you remember any walkoff homeruns or hits? I recall two over many years.

Because I don't care..That is meaningless.

Can you provide me with the botched DPs or errors that cost us wins?

And Tejada had 100 RBIs one year, 98 the other(on bad teams) and last year, he was in the 70s because he missed time.

First of all, a walk-off HR or hit is hardly the only measure of a clutch player (if there is such a thing). Those opportunities come up very rarely. Not many players can claim more than a handful in a career.

As for Tejada, I googled his name and "walk-off" and came up with these two as an Oriole:

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/news/gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20060827&content_id=1631790&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=bal

http://www.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20040926&content_id=871691&vkey=news_det&fext=.jsp&c_id=det

He had three walk-offs (two of them HRs) in September 2002 in his MVP campaign.

First of all, a walk-off HR or hit is hardly the only measure of a clutch player (if there is such a thing). Those opportunities come up very rarely. Not many players can claim more than a handful in a career.

As for Tejada, I googled his name and "walk-off" and came up with these two as an Oriole:

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/news/gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20060827&content_id=1631790&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=bal

http://www.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20040926&content_id=871691&vkey=news_det&fext=.jsp&c_id=det

He had three walk-offs (two of them HRs) in September 2002 in his MVP campaign.

Thanks for finding some information. I'm not sure I agree with the idea that players get only a few opportunities to hit a walkoff in their career. (By walkoff I mean any hit not just a home run.) I'll look for some stats later if I have time.

Thanks for finding some information. I'm not sure I agree with the idea that players get only a few opportunities to hit a walkoff in their career. (By walkoff I mean any hit not just a home run.) I'll look for some stats later if I have time.

I personally believe the ability to hit multiple walkoff homers in a season is indictative of a very good clutch hitter. Gary Matthews Jr did it several times when he was an Oriole and he is an all-star caliber player that many failed to recognize (other than myself) while he was an Oriole. In fact, you may recall when I posted as "old19fan" on the Sun forums I was subjected to much ridicule for liking Matthews a lot. Another player who is noted for hitting walkoff homers is Ryan Zimmerman of the Nats who in my view is one of the best young players in the game. Unlike some of these statistical experts I don't think hitting a walkoff has anything to do with the "law of averages" but has more to do with certain individuals just being more clutch in game winning situations, although I am sure I will get lamblasted for that view, I don't care.

How many walk offs does anybody not named David Ortiz have? Is it just me, or is that the most ridiculous reason to hate on a player? The guy was our best hitter every year he was with us.

I personally believe the ability to hit multiple walkoff homers in a season is indictative of a very good clutch hitter. Gary Matthews Jr did it several times when he was an Oriole and he is an all-star caliber player that many failed to recognize (other than myself) while he was an Oriole. In fact, you may recall when I posted as "old19fan" on the Sun forums I was subjected to much ridicule for liking Matthews a lot. Another player who is noted for hitting walkoff homers is Ryan Zimmerman of the Nats who in my view is one of the best young players in the game. Unlike some of these statistical experts I don't think hitting a walkoff has anything to do with the "law of averages" but has more to do with certain individuals just being more clutch in game winning situations, although I am sure I will get lamblasted for that view, I don't care.

Click here for the only Gary Matthews walk-off homer of his Orioles career.

Just one. Matthews hit one walk-off homer for the Orioles, in a meaningless August game against the Devil Rays, matching two teams that were a combined 55 games out of first place. I'm not sure how that proves anything about him at all.

Outside of 2006 Gary Matthews hasn't resembled an All Star for more than a few weeks at a time.

Archived