Os Sign O'Day for 4 Years - It's official

Nevermore

Hard to see how that gets him work after 2018 if he is widely seen as jeopardizing the team's future. Maybe he plans on retiring. Or he could win a WS between now and 2018. If that happens, I, for one, will deal with the bad after 2018.

Winning covers a multitude of sins.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Look at his moves.

The Parra move for instance was desperation to save the 2015 season. There is no way he was thinking long term when he did it. Same when he painted himself into a corner and had to sell a draft pick.

Not good, I agree. But standing pat in 2015 at that juncture would have drawn critics as well. Parra certainly didn't contribute, but that really can't all be put on DD. I wish we had Arrieta too, but I agreed with the move at the time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No; I think they may be out of the SP sweepstakes in kind. Expect a Doug Fister/Chris Young type while the team focuses on a significant LH bat.

1. Britton

2. O'Day

3. Givens

4. Brach

5. Matusz

6. Bundy

7. LHP (Riefenhauser?)

A bullpen that has no room for Mike Wright is a heckuva bullpen. Garcia and probably McFarland also put on minor-league reserve.

Rule 5.

:leaving:

The other possibility is that the 2016 payroll could see a one-year boost, and then a retraction after that point, as guys like Wieters and Trumbo come off the books.

I think most teams would be willing to take on a higher recurring annual payroll if they could ensure that substantial money was coming off the books in the subsequent year, think a series of one-year deals. A lot of risk is in something like a $15M per year deal that could be worthless for half of its duration.

H

My thoughts:

1) Love everything about O'Day. He is my favorite type of player.

2) Not surprised we signed him.

3) Despite my admiration, I don't like this signing UNLESS

3a) the payroll is increasing to 140M plus or

3b) Britton is traded

4) I don't think 3a or 3b is likely or that this move indicates either.

5) I do think that trading Britton is the right move this offseason.

6) While I don't like this contract much, I do think it is a better contract than the Miller contract because of his injury history and lack of serious innings in his past.

Based off this move I bet the payroll is going to be between 130-150.

I like the move and yes I'd trade Britton if I can get 3-4 good prospects for him.

I think Davis stays and plays RF and we get one other piece for the OF or DH and a SP.

My thoughts:

3b) Britton is traded

6) While I don't like this contract much, I do think it is a better contract than the Miller contract because of his injury history and lack of serious innings in his past.

I'm sure you know O'Day has his own history of injuries which is largely in part how the Orioles were able to obtain him. His limited duty in 2011 due to an acetabular labrum tear in his left hip and then a shoulder problem pinned him as a waiver candidate.

My thoughts:

3b) Britton is traded

I think the payroll is increasing. Maybe beyond 140M. I think they are looking in to trading Britton. I heard they are interested in Sipp which would indicate a trade of either Matusz or Britton.

Agreed. Attendance was down, no playoffs equals lost revenue. Payroll even at $130M would represent about an increase of 18% over 2015 opening payroll. My guess is $125, maximum.
BBR has us at 109 M now. So an OF bat and a SP would take us to 130M

I think the payroll is increasing. Maybe beyond 140M. I think they are looking in to trading Britton. I heard they are interested in Sipp which would indicate a trade of either Matusz or Britton.

I don't understand this offseason so far except in the context of a significant increase in payroll. Roughly 80% of the presumed discretionary budget would be taken up by Wieters, Trumbo and O'Day if he signs. The only real need that's been addressed so far is 1B in the (likely) event that Davis doesn't return.

I hope they're looking to trade Britton, but I'm beginning to have some doubts. It would be a huge missed opportunity IMO.

Archived