Let me see if I understand our strategy correctly....

DocJJ

Is the hyperbole really necessary?

OP laid out some valid critiques of this organization based off of a long standing track record. I don't understand why people get so bent out of shape over people identifying this teams shortcomings. This team needs quality pitching - and in this climate you have to spend to get said pitching. Either that or develop it. The Orioles do neither. Now go ahead and point to Ubaldo as an example....

You have a good sense of humor, I guess.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seems to me that if his post didn't bend you at least a bit out of shape then you wouldn't have interjected yourself into the discussion. ;)

Nope. Look at the statement made before getting bent out of shape. "I call things as I see them", which is what I was doing.

I also tend to agree with OP just a little.

In terms of fixing our poor starting rotation (which will soon be even worse with Chen's departure):

Our "plan" is to simply hope that the pitchers we have will magically become better.

We're too cheap to sign quality free agent starters.

Our farm system hasn't produced any quality starters.

(We traded away decent starting prospects Arrieta, Hader, Davies).

So we'll simply hope what we have will be better! Love it!

Actually, it seems pretty obvious (to me) that the plan is to bolster the bullpen and make it as strong as possible so we can stop trying to get 6 innings out of pitchers who can only go five. That worked for the Royals last year, as their starters threw less innings than any other rotation in the league and yet they reached the playoffs. Given the price of free agent starting pitching and the number of holes to be filled, this seems like a reasonable approach this year. If Gausman continues to develop and Tillman returns to 2014 form, it just might work.

In terms of fixing our poor starting rotation (which will soon be even worse with Chen's departure):

Our "plan" is to simply hope that the pitchers we have will magically become better.

We're too cheap to sign quality free agent starters.

Our farm system hasn't produced any quality starters.

(We traded away decent starting prospects Arrieta, Hader, Davies).

So we'll simply hope what we have will be better! Love it!

So what exactly do you want them to do this winter? I think they will acquire someone to replace Chen -- the quality of that replacement remains to be seen. It could be someone on roughly Chen's level, it could be someone with upside but who is much more risky than Chen, or it could be a dumpster dive. Beyond that, yes, I think they are going to have to hope that as a group, Tillman, Gonzalez, Jimenez and Gausman perform significantly better than last year. And while there's no guarantee that it will happen, it wouldn't be a huge shock if it did happen. Stuff like that happens every single year in baseball, in both directions, better or worse with the same basic group of guys.

So what exactly do you want them to do this winter? I think they will acquire someone to replace Chen -- the quality of that replacement remains to be seen. It could be someone on roughly Chen's level, it could be someone with upside but who is much more risky than Chen, or it could be a dumpster dive.

I can't speak for OP, but for me if the Orioles made the commitment necessary to acquire a comparable replacement to Chen that would quiet a lot of the "this team is cheap" crowd - including myself. If the O's can come away with a Kazmir or a Leake, or at least display a willingness to spend that kind of money, I think that would satisfy a lot of the detractors. If the Orioles come away with Vance Worley as the only potential addition to the rotation, I think a lot of people will be upset, and with good reason.

I can't speak for OP, but for me if the Orioles made the commitment necessary to acquire a comparable replacement to Chen that would quiet a lot of the "this team is cheap" crowd - including myself. If the O's can come away with a Kazmir or a Leake, or at least display a willingness to spend that kind of money, I think that would satisfy a lot of the detractors. If the Orioles come away with Vance Worley as the only potential addition to the rotation, I think a lot of people will be deservedly upset.

I disagree.

I'm not sure if a 200 million budget would be enough to quiet all the "this team is cheap" crowd. After-all the Dodgers spend more then that.

I can't speak for OP, but for me if the Orioles made the commitment necessary to acquire a comparable replacement to Chen that would quiet a lot of the "this team is cheap" crowd - including myself. If the O's can come away with a Kazmir or a Leake, or at least display a willingness to spend that kind of money, I think that would satisfy a lot of the detractors. If the Orioles come away with Vance Worley as the only potential addition to the rotation, I think a lot of people will be upset, and with good reason.

I don't think attempting to quiet those who complain about how little money the Orioles spend should be part of the O's strategy. Just win.

I disagree.

I'm not sure if a 200 million budget would be enough to quiet all the "this team is cheap" crowd. After-all the Dodgers spend more then that.

Well, I guess I am speaking with reasonable people in mind. I don't believe the Orioles need to spend like the Dodgers -or even the Nationals - to be successful. I do get a little tired of them getting cheap in the starting pitching market with their self imposed mandates on contract length and unwillingness to pay the big dollars for guys who are worth it. The Orioles are never going to be an organization that are consistent players for the guys getting huge contracts, but you can't tell me we can't splurge every once in a while. Zimmerman's deal with the Tigers is something this team could have done, and he would have filled a huge need, and got a seemingly reasonable contract - why are the Orioles never players for guys like this?

I don't think attempting to quiet those who complain about how little money the Orioles spend should be part of the O's strategy. Just win.

I agree with this statement.

If the Orioles would fix some of their organizational issues the complaints would cease, from rationale fans at least.

"That market's moving pretty quick," Duquette said. "The top end of the market, the prices are staggering, staggering. I don't know it sustains itself. We'll see. It tells me we need to develop Kevin Gausman and Mike Wright and Ty Wilson and do everything we can to help them become good major league pitchers."

And yes, to expect greatness from mediocrity is insanity. Case in point:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/n/norribu01.shtml

Archived