"Wow offer made to Davis!" (7 years - $150M Not one nickle more)

wildcard

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the O's were to sign Davis for 7/140 they would lock in the next decade of losing

Davis is

one year removed from hitting .198

in need of having his TUE renewed each season

in addition to his use of Adderall has a nicotine addiction. Anyone beside me think the chemical tight rope that he walks raises a red flag

has been prone to muscle (oblique) strains that wipe out entire months of seasons. I would expect his games played to drop thruout his seven year contract.

Let Davis walk use the 140 million on starting pitching and a Manny/Schoop extension

If the O's were to sign Davis for 7/140 they would lock in the next decade of losing

Davis is

in addition to his use of Adderall has a nicotine addiction. Anyone beside me think the chemical tight rope that he walks raises a red flag

has been prone to muscle (oblique) strains that wipe out entire months of seasons. I would expect his games played to drop thruout his seven year contract.

Let Davis walk use the 140 million on starting pitching and a Manny/Schoop extension

Just the fact that I was able to somehow sift through this post and infer what you are/were trying to say makes me feel proud of myself.

Just wondering - does anyone here know what the O's make from the MASN deal?

No one knows. Not here, not really anywhere. It's rumored to be about 20 million annually. Split between the owners. It is not a publicly held company subject to review.

Could a Chris Davis deal look something like this?

2016-17: 18 mill

2018-19: 20 mill

2020-21: 25 mill

That's 126 million over 6 years. There could be an opt-out after year three, and several million from each season deferred.

Does that seem like a Scott Boras deal to you? I heard he wants 180.

He quotes in his blog and I am not sure how accurate it is.

There is no way the O’s think they are offering a fair deal. They are engaging in hard nose negotiation. I am using some of the numbers I have read from various sources to come up with my assessment of these offers. Assuming that the Os are offering a 37 million rights fee and then 8 million equity at 14%. We can assume then that MASN expects to make 57 million profit. This means that Angelos’ plan is for the O’s to take 49 million in profit and share 8 million. That makes the total take: 87 million for the O’s and 45 million for the Nats. Or, a 1/3, 2/3 split. One of the advantages of this plan is equity is not included in profit sharing with MLB so by keeping most of the TV value in MASN and not in the rights then both teams share less money. I will break this down in much greater detail in the future.

The Nationals don’t think they should have to provide MASN any profit considering they will never have more than 33% of equity in the company and one of the items in the initial agreement is that the O’s assumed the risk of the venture. A starting point for a fair deal would have been closer to the numbers Houston completed just last year they are in the number 10 TV market is getting 80 million from their deal. The Cubs who also share a market are at 60 million on an older contract, heck Oakland gets 48 million. Any of those numbers on a comp bases would have been fair. Instead the O’s went with the low ball offer. This caused the Nationals to go high as their initial offer.

There is a ton of information on that in the 2012 RSDC decision and some of the documents used as exhibits in the court challenge to that decision. Of course, until the RSDC makes a new decision and any further challenges are resolved, there can be no definitive statement of what the O's make from MASN. We can only give a range.

Davis is

If you let all of your star players leave why would Machado and Schoop stay. Jones will be the next guy out the door.

Davis is

Mostly agree with this assessment. Schoop and Manny will get better. Manny incrementally, he's already playing at an elite level. Schoop will get better offensively but there will be an adjustment process. Teams have a years worth of tape to look at and they will adjust. Can he make the adjustments in a short time or will it take a season? Davis is a strikeout machine, but provides protection in the kineup, ultimately he's too expensive, injury and suspension pronce to give a long contract to.

The fans problem is that the O's generally don't save money on 1 player to spend it on another. They look for cheaper alternatives and spread it around a number of players hoping that 1 comes through for a year, 2 at best. THe minors will prove a solution at 1B Walker in the short term, Mancini in the long term.

They need a single professional corner outfielder to hit behind Jones and Manny.

And then Pitching Pitching Pitching

Davis is

Thanks for making me laugh. Brightens up my day.

Chris has averaged a little over 3.5 WAR each of the last four years (14.7 total over those four years.) If he's worth ~20 WAR over that 7/140 contract that'd be pretty good as FA contracts go (though FA contracts are generally an inefficient use of money.) So there's some room for regression and inconsistency from Davis. Also, he's more fun than the average player but we'd lose a draft pick by not letting him sign elsewhere. Overall I'd be cool with 7/140 but wouldn't go a whole lot higher than that. A grand extension for Manny should obviously be the #1 priority.

Archived