Don't know about you...but I want Cespedes

Todd-O

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I dont see him walking away from the ball??? He turned and started to go after it and the LF looked like he was going full out... I dunno

Yeah, it looks like both players are surprised and are avoiding collision. It's a sloppy, freaky play. A very well-publicized play that gets rehashed endlessly on MLB network and the like. I wouldn't want to make all judgments based on one bad play on the field. It would probably have been a triple, regardless.

I don't think that means much. They committed $66 mm to Markakis in 2009, and $85 mm to Jones in 2012. Prices have inflated since then. A player as valuable as Markakis or Jones (based on their age and historical performance at the time they were signed) would cost $100 mm at today's prices.

Yep $85MM (2012) ~ $100MM (2016). I understand they probably won't commit $200MM for six or seven years of a pitcher, but I would be in no way surprised to see $100ishMM for what they consider to be the "right player."

I'm surprised at the pro-optout comments I am reading. I have to agree with the Orioles and DD. Offering optouts like we are seeing seems incredibly stupid to me. A team takes on all the risk and gives up all of the upside potential of a contract. Only the richest of teams can afford to consider this, and they are the ones doing it. Missing badly on an expensive contact can irreparably hamstring a small- or mid-market team for years. Large market teams can take advantage of this and land players thru the use of optouts, since they can better absorb the pain of losing on the gamble.

I'm surprised at the pro-optout comments I am reading. I have to agree with the Orioles and DD. Offering optouts like we are seeing seems incredibly stupid to me. A team takes on all the risk and gives up all of the upside potential of a contract. Only the richest of teams can afford to consider this, and they are the ones doing it. Missing badly on an expensive contact can irreparably hamstring a small- or mid-market team for years. Large market teams can take advantage of this and land players thru the use of optouts, since they can better absorb the pain of losing on the gamble.

Use the Kazmir contract as an example. Do you think that would have been a bad contract for the Orioles to offer? For fun, let's assume he'd pick the Orioles over LA with all things being equal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Use the Kazmir contract as an example. Do you think that would have been a bad contract for the Orioles to offer? For fun, let's assume he'd pick the Orioles over LA with all things being equal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Teams were talking 3/$39 with Kazmir. The Dodgers blew that away. Prior to this signing, indications were that 4/$48 would likely get it done. Nobody seemed to want to go the 4th year. The Dodgers gave the 4-year money without the 4th year. Yes, I absolutely think that would have been a bad deal for the Orioles - opt out or not. Certainly not as horrific as other opt out deals we have seen, but bad nonetheless.

Yeah, the only ways I'd be OK with opt outs (from a FO perspective) would be if the cash for the post-out years was heavily incentivized and/or deferred. Otherwise, those deals can only end bad-ish for the teams handing them out.

There is potential upside for the team as I see it. Using Davis as an example maybe you are comfortable that he remains a very good player for the next 3 years but aren't very sure about the 4 years after that. You can sign him to a 7 year deal with an opt out after 3, he plays well for 3 years and opts out. Then signs elsewhere and declines on his next deal. That contract works out pretty great for the Orioles. You end up with a short term deal for a productive player, which is what every team really wants but cannot get.

There is potential upside for the team as I see it. Using Davis as an example maybe you are comfortable that he remains a very good player for the next 3 years but aren't very sure about the 4 years after that. You can sign him to a 7 year deal with an opt out after 3, he plays well for 3 years and opts out. Then signs elsewhere and declines on his next deal. That contract works out pretty great for the Orioles. You end up with a short term deal for a productive player, which is what every team really wants but cannot get.

The sole choice in voiding the contract belongs to Davis. The Orioles have no say in the matter.

Yeah, I assume that you can structure things so that the team gets value out of good years early in the contract and hope that an even bigger sucker comes along to bail you out of those Bobby Bonilla years. It just seems that opt outs inherently push the odds in the player's favor. Kazmir basically has a one year deal with an annuity.

Yes, but they all opt out if they play reasonably well. If the O's think Davis can play well enough to opt out, him opting out is a good thing if you ask me.

Why risk the hideous outcome of paying milions upon millions for a worthless player when the high-end possibility of receiving many years of positive value is not there? Man, I can't possibly disagree with you more on this. DD is clearly right, IMO. Now, if the Orioles had millions to burn like the Dodgers, Red Sox, or Yankees, maybe, but they don't.

Yes, but they all opt out if they play reasonably well. If the O's think Davis can play well enough to opt out, him opting out is a good thing if you ask me.
If you give him an incentive to opt out by front loading the contract before the opt out and have the years after have an AAV of less, it could work.

If you give him an incentive to opt out by front loading the contract before the opt out and have the years after have an AAV of less, it could work.

Why would we want to overpay in the early years? I'm sorry, but I agree with DD that opt-outs make zero sense for a team like the Orioles. The very few super-rich teams can afford such folly. No one else.

Why would we want to overpay in the early years? I'm sorry, but I agree with DD that opt-outs make zero sense for a team like the Orioles. The very few super-rich teams can afford such folly. No one else.
I didn't say over pay. I said pay more. If Davis is a good bet to be worth 8-12 WAR in the first 3 years of his contract then pay him 60-80 M. After that pay him a less for the net 4. He's more likely to opt out before he becomes an albatross.

Archived