Why I would rather sign Alex Gordon than Chris Davis

mdbdotcom

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's essentially a home grown Ryan Flarehty

Five seconds on Google will lead you to scouting reports and descriptions of Jomar Reyes. He's a defensively-challenged infielder that will probably push him to first base, with big raw power, enthusiasm, big, tall, strong guy. Dominican. Reyes was in full-season ball at 18, Flaherty didn't make his pro debut until almost 22. Yes, he and Flaherty are professional baseball players who've played third base. Aside from that they don't seem to be all that similar.

Five seconds on Google will lead you to scouting reports and descriptions of Jomar Reyes. He's a defensively-challenged infielder that will probably push him to first base, with big raw power, enthusiasm, big, tall, strong guy. Dominican. Reyes was in full-season ball at 18, Flaherty didn't make his pro debut until almost 22. Yes, he and Flaherty are professional baseball players who've played third base. Aside from that they don't seem to be all that similar.

I thought you meant Walker. My bad :D

I don't see it happening

Why? Walker turns 25 in March. Flaherty turned 25 in July of 2011, when he was posting a .237/.277/.399 for the Cubs' AAA team in hitter-friendly Iowa. Walker posted a much better line at 24 in a far more difficult ballpark. The bar for Walker is higher as a first baseman, but he appears to be a better hitter than Flaherty.

Why? Walker turns 25 in March. Flaherty turned 25 in July of 2011, when he was posting a .237/.277/.399 for the Cubs' AAA team in hitter-friendly Iowa. Walker posted a much better line at 24 in a far more difficult ballpark. The bar for Walker is higher as a first baseman, but he appears to be a better hitter than Flaherty.

He's barely better than Flarethy. I've been to so many Tides games over the years, and he's good in AAA, you bring him to the bigs and he's garbo. He'll just be another AAAA player. Sell while his stock is high and get something better.

He's barely better than Flarethy. I've been to so many Tides games over the years, and he's good in AAA, you bring him to the bigs and he's garbo. He'll just be another AAAA player. Sell while his stock is high and get something better.

Walker has 31 MLB PAs. That's at least several hundred too few to begin to get any kind of read on his MLB ability beyond what you get from minor league translations.

Is Walker's stock high? I wouldn't think so. What exactly do you think we'd get for him? I agree he looks like AAAA to me, based on my limited observations of him, but I think other teams probably assess him much the way we do.

Is Walker's stock high? I wouldn't think so. What exactly do you think we'd get for him? I agree he looks like AAAA to me, based on my limited observations of him, but I think other teams probably assess him much the way we do.

Teams have been asking about him. Same thing we'd get for Flarethy, a nice MiLB player if we traded him alone. I would disagree and say that some teams don't have their hearts in the decision making like we do

I'm telling you, it just won't work out. Should sell high to get a pitcher or include him in a package.

I don't generally believe in "our guy who sucks for your guy who doesn't suck" trades. If Walker is, as you state, a first baseman with a bat barely ahead of Ryan Flaherty then he will return almost nothing in trade.

Teams have been asking about him. Same thing we'd get for Flarethy, a nice MiLB player if we traded him alone. I would disagree and say that some teams don't have their hearts in the decision making like we do

You truly believe that a team would give up an actual prospect for a first baseman with a .700 OPS and a middling glove? The other 29 teams know at least as much as we do.

I don't generally believe in "our guy who sucks for your guy who doesn't suck" trades. If Walker is, as you state, a first baseman with a bat barely ahead of Ryan Flaherty then he will return almost nothing in trade.

His defense is why he hasn't been traded. Just like Flarehty. I think Flarehty would do better in the NL anyway.

Archived