Who on the 25-man roster can be packaged in a trade for a SP?

Snutchy

Not sure what you are saying. It is fairly clear that Trumbo is penciled in as the starting DH and provides a solid backup at first base, and backs up in the outfield, as well. Your first post said that the trade was a backup plan to signing Davis, which I questioned, since the timing made it evident that that was not the case.

Just now seeing this. My guess would be they acquired Trumbo as a "in case Davis doesn't sign" plan. Of course the main goal was to get Davis back but outside of that you have guys like Morneau and Napoli on the market and I just don't think they were interested in players like that. At least Trumbo is still fairly young so it's not crazy to think his best are not behind him. If the worst case scenario regarding Trumbo is that he is a pure DH then that's not bad so it was worth the risk trading for him and tendering a contract. That's what I mean by backup plan and it's just a guess. Trumbo doesn't really fit the high OBP mold that was sorely needed this offseason so I doubt he was targeted. He just sort of fell in their laps and now with Davis on board I hope they're looking to trade.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now seeing this. My guess would be they acquired Trumbo as a "in case Davis doesn't sign" plan. Of course the main goal was to get Davis back but outside of that you have guys like Morneau and Napoli on the market and I just don't think they were interested in players like that. At least Trumbo is still fairly young so it's not crazy to think his best are not behind him. If the worst case scenario regarding Trumbo is that he is a pure DH then that's not bad so it was worth the risk trading for him and tendering a contract. That's what I mean by backup plan and it's just a guess. Trumbo doesn't really fit the high OBP mold that was sorely needed this offseason so I doubt he was targeted. He just sort of fell in their laps and now with Davis on board I hope they're looking to trade.

I would say that this is a pretty fair assessment. Wieters accepting the QO was a bit of a surprise, and Clev was no longer in the cards for the ML club. Finding that Trumbo was available for Clev straight up was probably a pleasant surprise.

Archived