Who on the 25-man roster can be packaged in a trade for a SP?

Snutchy

I have seen this comment often. Trumbo was acquired before the winter meetings. I think that it is pretty clear that the Orioles fully intended to sign Davis at that time and frankly anticipated that Davis would agree to terms during the winter meetings so they could have a big happy announcement at Fanfest. While Trumbo did end up providing a decent alternative possibility if Davis didn't sign and we got a top outfielder instead, it seems apparent that this was, in fact, not the primary reason behind the trade for Trumbo. I think that the fact that Trumbo was viewed as a superior DH to Clevenger, and his usefulness as a 1B/OF provided more depth to the team than carrying a third catcher did were the primary motivations for the Orioles in that trade.

It's just my opinion but if Trumbo was acquired for any other reason than a solid backup then it was a poor move. We don't need more home runs. We need on base abilities and defense. I hope he is traded.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brach appears to be our best trade chip. He's expendable because of Givens. And even more expendable if we trade him for a SP and don't have to use the BP so much. He's coming off a 2 WAR season. Just now entering arbitration. Seems like a lot of relievers were already traded this year. A team with an excess of SP and a need in the pen would be a good fit. The dodgers for Wood seemed like a good fit but they just signed Blanton. The other LA team seems like a good fit as well. Brach for Hector Santiago would make a lot of sense. We'd probably have to kick in a little more. Remember they're so desperate for first baseman that they drafted the Asian dude we signed to a milb deal, in the the rule 5 draft.

Maybe C.Walker and Brach for Santiago is a trade that works.

It's just my opinion but if Trumbo was acquired for any other reason than a solid backup then it was a poor move. We don't need more home runs. We need on base abilities and defense. I hope he is traded.

You can hope. But that is not the direction this club chooses. It choose to play to it's field. I'm excited to see a year of Trumbo in Baltimore myself.

I'm just curious...what makes you so sure? He was a Davis backup plan and now Davis is signed and there's no real need for him. I'd much prefer sign Alvarez to DH for half of what Trumbo is being paid. I understand if he won't be traded because nobody wants him but if someone does want him, I think you gotta make it happen.

My opinion after listening to Brady, Buck and Dan speak on it. I do not think Trumbo was ever just "a backup plan" even if his skill set does not fit a certain direction for changing the offensive nature of the club. I think that Alvarez was the Davis backup plan. And who knows what he will sign for. It may not be 4.5 for one season as you have stated.

Not sure what you are saying. It is fairly clear that Trumbo is penciled in as the starting DH and provides a solid backup at first base, and backs up in the outfield, as well. Your first post said that the trade was a backup plan to signing Davis, which I questioned, since the timing made it evident that that was not the case.

Brach appears to be our best trade chip. He's expendable because of Givens. And even more expendable if we trade him for a SP and don't have to use the BP so much. He's coming off a 2 WAR season. Just now entering arbitration. Seems like a lot of relievers were already traded this year. A team with an excess of SP and a need in the pen would be a good fit. The dodgers for Wood seemed like a good fit but they just signed Blanton. The other LA team seems like a good fit as well. Brach for Hector Santiago would make a lot of sense. We'd probably have to kick in a little more. Remember they're so desperate for first baseman that they drafted the Asian dude we signed to a milb deal, in the the rule 5 draft.

Maybe C.Walker and Brach for Santiago is a trade that works.

You really do not want Santiago. We're talking a guy with a 4.77FIP,5.00xFIP,4.50SIERA and .6fWAR in over 180IP. His ERA has monster regression written all over it. Now there is value in a guy who throw 180IP, but not when that guy comes with the 2nd worst FIP and worst xFIP among all qualified pitchers.

You can hope. But that is not the direction this club chooses. It choose to play to it's field. I'm excited to see a year of Trumbo in Baltimore myself.

I am too. I think Buck is going to put him in situations to succeed. He's going to get a lot of RBI opportunities and will have every chance to put up a big year in his contract year. Buck isn't going to expose him by playing him in the OF too much, if ever. I would not be surprised at the least for Trumbo to pop off in our lineup/stadium and end up receiving a Q.O. next year.

You really do not want Santiago. We're talking a guy with a 4.77FIP,5.00xFIP,4.50SIERA and .6fWAR in over 180IP. His ERA has monster regression written all over it. Now there is value in a guy who throw 180IP, but not when that guy comes with the 2nd worst FIP and worst xFIP among all qualified pitchers.

:agree: Not interested in Santiago.

I am too. I think Buck is going to put him in situations to succeed. He's going to get a lot of RBI opportunities and will have every chance to put up a big year in his contract year. Buck isn't going to expose him by playing him in the OF too much, if ever. I would not be surprised at the least for Trumbo to pop off in our lineup/stadium and end up receiving a Q.O. next year.

I think Trumbo is this year's Nelson Cruz myself.

Ever see Jim Palmer's FIP? Almost every pitcher on our team out pitches their FIP. Santiago is a sinkerballer. Put him with our IF defense and watch his FIP and ERA drop.

Santiago has out pitched his FIP every year of his career. FIP punishes you for not getting enough strikeouts and doesn't reward you for double plays. It's a flawed stat. Left handed, GB, SP, seems to be just what we need.

Definitely was thinking of Jose quintana

Ever see Jim Palmer's FIP? Almost every pitcher on our team out pitches their FIP. Santiago is a sinkerballer. Put him with our IF defense and watch his FIP and ERA drop.

Santiago has out pitched his FIP every year of his career. FIP punishes you for not getting enough strikeouts and doesn't reward you for double plays. It's a flawed stat. Left handed, GB, SP, seems to be just what we need.

Definitely was thinking of Jose quintana

How would our defense cause his FIP to drop? That really doesn't make sense to me.

My guess is that Trumbo, assuming health starts ~145 games. 100 at DH, 35 at 1B and 10 at RF.

No concern that he has a career .735 OPS at DH and hasn't hit RHP well the last 3 years in a row? Also, Nelson Cruz took a walk occasionally before he got here.

I have no concern about his splits across 298 plate appearances spread over 6 years. I don't find that predictive at all.

As for his numbers against righties, over the last three years relative to other right-handed batters vs. right-handed pitchers his OPS+ has been 97, 97 and 102. So right around league average. Against left-handed pitchers relative to other right-handed batters vs. left-handed pitchers, his OPS+ has been 145, 116, and 129. So he is solidly above average against lefties and average against righties. Obviously you hope that a COF/1B/DH is better than an average hitter against both sides of the plate but it isn't like he is hitting like a middle infielder against righties.

Archived