What if it is the Number 13 Pick?

weams

13 v 14? Does it matter? A little while ago there was a thread about the Orioles possibly taking the pitching prospect from UMD. Intrigued I decided to look him up. Couldn't find a publication that had him rated higher than mid 30's. I know the MLB draft is a little different and they could always take him with a later pick, but I think that tells you everything you need to know about the difference of one spot.

13 v 14? Does it matter? A little while ago there was a thread about the Orioles possibly taking the pitching prospect from UMD. Intrigued I decided to look him up. Couldn't find a publication that had him rated higher than mid 30's. I know the MLB draft is a little different and they could always take him with a later pick, but I think that tells you everything you need to know about the difference of one spot.

I do not follow the logic here. Just because there was a thread about the UMD guy doesn't mean that's who the Orioles would pick in the no. 13 spot. In any event, I don't care much about 13 vs. 14. 14 vs. 30, I care about a lot.

By the way, last year when the O's picked DJ Stewart, the next thing MLB Network showed was the Angels' draft team high fiving each other because they were next in line and the O's didn't take the guy they wanted, catcher Taylor Ward. Ward put up a .948 OPS in rookie ball and got promoted to full-time low A Burlington, where he put up an .825 OPS. So, he has a leg up on DJ Stewart so far.

Did the Rays sign somebody? There's no movement on the Kendrick sign. We keep our 69, huh-huh, pick at 69 no matter what.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So it's just that our two seconds did not get pushed back with a Dodger supplemental.

So it's just that our two seconds did not get pushed back with a Dodger supplemental.

Nothing changed today. Our second second--if we don't sign two or more QO'd guys, won't move. It'll be #69 no matter what happens to Fowler, Gallardo, and Desmond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In other news... anyone starting to get real nervous about the Rays?

Their rotation could be absolutely filthy. Snell is an absolute stud and if Cobb comes back as Cobb, they've got a top 5 if not higher rotation. Archer,Cobb,Snell,Odorizzi,Moore with guys like Smyly,Guerreri,Honeywell etc in the mix.

Their rotation could be absolutely filthy. Snell is an absolute stud and if Cobb comes back as Cobb, they've got a top 5 if not higher rotation. Archer,Cobb,Snell,Odorizzi,Moore with guys like Smyly,Guerreri,Honeywell etc in the mix.

Their number 6 starter might be better than our number one starter. :(

In other news... anyone starting to get real nervous about the Rays?

No not really. Though Dickerson was a good get, the offense still lacks punch. And they're down their best reliever. Maybe Xavier Cedeno can fill the role.

Projected lineup (projected OPS from BBR)

1) LF Dickerson (.858)

2) RF Souza (.728)

3) 3B Longoria (.763)

4) DH Morrison (.715)

5) 2B Forsythe (.728)

6) 1B Loney (.718)

7) CF Kiermaier (.747)

8) SS Beckham (.733)

9) C Conger (.717)

Bench) two of Guyer/Pearce/Jennings, Franklin, Rivera or Casali

Desmond doesn't even really help that lineup but he is a defensive upgrade over Beckham.

Do we want to play the "just missed out" game?

1993 - Jay Powell (19), Torii Hunter (20)

1997 - Jayson Werth (22) --> traded for John Bale

1999 - Rich Stahl (18), Alex Rios (19)

2000 - Beau Hale (14), Chase Utley (15)

2002 - Adam Loewen (4), Zach Greinke (6)

2006 - Billy Rowell (9), Tim Lincecum (10)

2008 - Brian Matusz (4), Buster Posey (5)

Picking one better wouldn't have helped in those situations.

Archived