Question for Greg Pappas and others

I was just wondering if you had any information on these players from Coastal Carolina University on what rounds they may be drafted in and if the Orioles would have any interest in any of them. Thanks.

C - Dock Doyle -2008- .375, 11 HR, 40 RBI, .719 SLG, .450 OBP

He was drafted last year by Atlanta in the 44th round but did not sign

OF - David Sappelt - 2008- .320, 8 HR, 36 RBI, .567, .390

2007- .359, 10 HR, 50 RBI, .580, .410

OF - Tommy Baldridge - 2008- .280, 5 HR, 21 RBI, .440, .377

2007- .383, 13 HR, 58 RBI, .633, .465

Baldrige tore his ACL in the offseason and could be why his numbers have dropped off so much this season.

P - Joey Haug - 5-0, 1.74, 49 SO, Opp Avg .153, 46.2 IP

P - Bobby Gagg - 5-1, 2.32, 29 SO,Opp AVG .264 ,50.1 IP

2007 - 12-2, 2.57, 84 SO, Opp AVG .245, 112.0 IP

The 2008 stats are through 36 games.

Coastal plays a pretty tough schedule and is 8-1 vs the ACC so far this year so its not like these numbers are coming against bad competition. Theres a couple other guys too I might post their numbers later if I have time.

I'd have to take a longer look to try and figure out where I'd place these guys on an overall draft board. Doyle is a top 5 college catcher whose stock has risen this year. Anywhere from round 2-4, depending on how the rest of the season goes.

Both Haug and Gagg will depend on the rest of their season. I'd imagine Haug goes pretty late, considering his slight build. Post round 15? Gagg could go in the top 10 rounds?

Baldridge will likely go late and has little negotiating room (he didn't get a medical redshirt, did he?). I'd say he goes 10-15 with decent upside for whoever takes him.

Sappelt has a smallish frame, and I question how much his stick holds up in pro-ball and outside of the world of metal bats. I don't remember him from any wooden bat leagues -- where did he summer? I'd say post round 15.

These are all incredible approximations. I'm not intimately familiar with any of them from a scouting perspective and haven't seen ECU this season. I feel the best about Doyle's projection, but I think I'm at least in the ballpark for the rest. Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

I'd have to take a longer look to try and figure out where I'd place these guys on an overall draft board. Doyle is a top 5 college catcher whose stock has risen this year. Anywhere from round 2-4, depending on how the rest of the season goes.

Both Haug and Gagg will depend on the rest of their season. I'd imagine Haug goes pretty late, considering his slight build. Post round 15? Gagg could go in the top 10 rounds?

Baldridge will likely go late and has little negotiating room (he didn't get a medical redshirt, did he?). I'd say he goes 10-15 with decent upside for whoever takes him.

Sappelt has a smallish frame, and I question how much his stick holds up in pro-ball and outside of the world of metal bats. I don't remember him from any wooden bat leagues -- where did he summer? I'd say post round 15.

These are all incredible approximations. I'm not intimately familiar with any of them from a scouting perspective and haven't seen ECU this season. I feel the best about Doyle's projection, but I think I'm at least in the ballpark for the rest. Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

Thanks for the info!

Haug has been incredible this year, almost unhittable he does have a small build so I'm sure that will affect his draft status. Gagg is a junior this year so I'm hoping he'll come back for his senior season but he's been our ace the past 2 years and if he gets drafted early enough I'm sure he's gone.

Baldridge is a senior this year so he's definitaly going to whoever drafts him, he didnt get a medical redshirt and hasn't missed any games due to his injury. He started the year off at DH and just moved back to the outfield in the last few weeks.

Sappelt is one of the best college hitters I've seen but he's only about 5'9 so Im not sure it will translate to the pros. He's also only a junior but if he gets drafted its doubtfull he'll be back. He did play in a wooden bat league this summer for the Battle Creek Bombers of the Northwoods Leauge Here's a few of his numbers: 173 AB, .329, 0 HR, 18 RBI, 13 2B, .416 SLG, .362 OBP

Thanks for the info, and if anyone else has any info on these guys it would be appreciated!

Stotle, had you heard of any of these guys before or did you just look up info on them? I'm just curious to see what kind of exposure their getting outside of the area. Thanks

Doyle is well known. ECU is a solid program, so I had a passing familiarity with some of the rest -- Haug and Gagg are familiar names though I had no idea how solid their '08 numbers were until you posted them. Baldridge I read a little about last year but haven't followed. Sappelt I did not know at all.

Haha, not a problem. I'm just hoping the Orioles take a look at some of these guys since they all seem to be solid players who should be available in later rounds. We drafted 2 guys out of Coastal last year, Marriotti and Andrelyzck. Andrelyzck came back to school though. I'd just like to see some of the players I've watched in college work their way up the Orioles farm system.

Obviously, I meant Coastal, not ECU -- long couple of days :(

Archived