Just go trade for Jay Bruce or Markakis

oriolesacox

This should be cut and paste and posted every time a fan brings up Markakis as a possibility!

I guess I am just a hard head about this but I think Snider can't carry Nick's jock no matter what the metrics say. Snider couldn't even get a major league job after we let him go.

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This should be cut and paste and posted every time a fan brings up Markakis as a possibility!

So you would be just as comfortable with those 3 leading off and giving you what Markakis would as far as doing the job of a leadoff man....getting on base? I think not.

But let's use OPS and ridiculous player comparisons to defend our argument. I could care less what his OPS is these days, he would be at the top of lineup to get on base not hit for power.

Will the defense be 2006 Markakis great defense? Of course not but he won't kill you.

Find me another guy out there who has PROVEN they can do the job, and then we can start talking about why Nick is clearly not the best option. And no, none of the names mentioned are options in the 1 hole/RF and could be counted on t produce (hits, consistently) like Markakis could.

Tongue planted firmly in my cheek. I have no idea what he was thinking.

Actually, not true. I remember hearing his explanation. I still can't believe it though. You don't plant a guy on a team going through a rebuild with the idea that he'll be a stabilizing force for your younger players. I mean, you can, but not as the driving force behind behind paying him $44 million and call yourself a serious baseball mind.

And I like Nick, but business is business. He took very good care of his. The Braves, not so much.

This club can ill afford to trade any more pitchers. Duquette done goofed with ERod, Arrieta for f'ing Feldman, Davies, Hader, Tarpley for Travis Snider...Duquette needs to have his prospect trading hands tied.

Thank you! Amen.

People not only want Nick and his contract back today, but they also want to trade actual prospects to do it. People have lost their minds today.

I'm game for Markakis, if we give up nothing and the Braves eat about half the contract. Significant money for sub-2 win players in the other side of 30 is poor business. Of course we already completed a laughable "negotiation" with Davis and now are paying Mark Trumbo 9 million to be a mediocre DH. Might as well keep the crazy going.

People not only want Nick and his contract back today, but they also want to trade actual prospects to do it. People have lost their minds today.

I'm game for Markakis, if we give up nothing and the Braves eat about half the contract. Significant money for sub-2 win players in the other side of 30 is poor business. Of course we already completed a laughable "negotiation" with Davis and now are paying Mark Trumbo 9 million to be a mediocre DH. Might as well keep the crazy going.

Could be worse, Buck might play Trumbo in RF.

This club can ill afford to trade any more pitchers. Duquette done goofed with ERod, Arrieta for f'ing Feldman, Davies, Hader, Tarpley for Travis Snider...Duquette needs to have his prospect trading hands tied.

Arrieta was not a prospect. He was a failed prospect. How many times does this need to be repeated. He exceeded his rookie limits in 2010 and was traded in 2013 during his age-27 season. During that season he had an ERA of 7.23 (albeit in 5 starts). In the previous season, his age-26 season in 2012, he had 18 starts (pitched in 24 total) with a 6.20 ERA. Here are his ERA+ numbers for the Orioles:

2010 - 89 (Again, this is where he exhausted his rookie status)

2011 - 83

2012 - 68

2013 - 57

I'm happy for Jake that he was able to harness his talent and it would be great if he could have done it with us. That said, anyone who faults DD for trading him risks not being taken seriously regarding baseball discussions.

Archived