Just go trade for Jay Bruce or Markakis

oriolesacox

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Arrieta was not a prospect. He was a failed prospect. How many times does this need to be repeated. He exceeded his rookie limits in 2010 and was traded in 2013 during his age-27 season. During that season he had an ERA of 7.23 (albeit in 5 starts). In the previous season, his age-26 season in 2012, he had 18 starts (pitched in 24 total) with a 6.20 ERA. Here are his ERA+ numbers for the Orioles:

2010 - 89 (Again, this is where he exhausted his rookie status)

2011 - 83

2012 - 68

2013 - 57

I'm happy for Jake that he was able to harness his talent and it would be great if he could have done it with us. That said, anyone who faults DD for trading him risks not being taken seriously regarding baseball discussions.

Johan Santana and Jose Bautista were failed prospects.

I expect Nick will be more than worth his salary in 2016. I'm not sure that he won't be worth his salary in 2017-18, either. But I'm admittedly biased on the topic and don't want to argue about something that isn't going to happen in any event.

Why does his power matter on a team that has plenty?

First off there are concerns that OBP without power isn't sustainable long term. If pitchers don't fear you why not just feed you fastballs?

Secondly if all you do is get to first base, then even if you do that comparatively often, there isn't a huge amount of value if you are not able to advance runners multiple bases or advance multiple bases yourself.

First off there are concerns that OBP without power isn't sustainable long term. If pitchers don't fear you why not just feed you fastballs?

Secondly if all you do is get to first base, then even if you do that comparatively often, there isn't a huge amount of value if you are not able to advance runners multiple bases or advance multiple bases yourself.

Agreed, though Nick did hit quite a few doubles (38) last season. I'll be interested to see if he can get back to double-digit homers now that he's a year removed from neck surgery.

38 doubles last year.

Seems that is a little more than "just getting to first base".

Why does his power matter on a team that has plenty?

Because it always matters. If you're a .700 OPS player you're a .700 OPS player. Yes, the OBP is a bit more valuable than the slugging, and maybe a team deficient in OBP could leverage the OBP-only player a bit more. But it's not like Nick's .700 OPS would effectively be an .800 or something because the O's don't have a lot of walks in the lineup.

Because it always matters. If you're a .700 OPS player you're a .700 OPS player. Yes, the OBP is a bit more valuable than the slugging, and maybe a team deficient in OBP could leverage the OBP-only player a bit more. But it's not like Nick's .700 OPS would effectively be an .800 or something because the O's don't have a lot of walks in the lineup.

Well, I've been told that Chris Davis's .900+ OPS last season was effectively a .700 OPS because he strikes out so much ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. Hole in RF and leadoff

2. Proved he's healthy last year despite the absence of power

3. Braves are terrible and might like to rebuild

4. 3/$33 is cheap as balls

5. Get a PA favorite back

Doubt they'll do it, and maybe the Braves value his veteranosity. But as long as we're getting the band back together and keeping the clubhouse guys like Davis and O'Day, shoot... might as well.

No thank you. Don't want to hurt anyone's feelings about Nick

but his ship has sailed. IMO

Archived