Chris Tillman

weams

I don't know that I've ever seen better stuff from Tillman than I've seen this season. Lively fastball, snapping curve ball, diving change up, well-located slider/cutter. I know he walked 4 guys, but I'm seeing an awful lot of well-located pitches. The K's are coming, too. I'm impressed. To me, he's showing ace stuff.

I think he has always flashed this stuff.

He's not always carrying the 95 MPH fastball though or the command. I think Tillman is a good no. 2 when he is on. I'm just happy to have the no. 2 Tillman back. When his command and velocity are not there he quickly becomes a # 5.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fastball velocity increase as well.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

It's not actually up that much. Before tonight he was averaging 92.1 mph. He was at 91.5 mph last year. That certainly helps but I think the bigger factor is doubling his slider usage (from 7.5% to 14.6%, again before tonight). He certainly used the slider alot tonight and his fastball didn't look any faster than it's been all year.

This is the Tillman that was so highly regarded when he was sent over here along with AJ in the Bedard trade.

I think it's also the Tillman that we mostly saw from 2012-2014.

I think Tillman's 2015 is making many of us forget how good he was from 2012-2014. ERA's were 2.93 (half season), 3.71, 3.34. If he can give us a 3.50 over the full season I will be extremely happy.

The thing I like about Chris Tillman is his resiliency. He has shown it throughout his career. I'm of the belief that things have never just come easy for him. He was the sought after pitcher in the Bedard trade but it took him years to earn his spot in the rotation. So many times he came up only to go back down to Triple A and start over. I think a lot of people wrote him off and didn't thing he'd amount too a whole lot. But he's the one guy out of all the Oriole pitchers from that 'cavalry' period who has kept a spot in the rotation. He may never be the ace anybody here wants him to be, but I'm happy to have him on our pitching staff. More than anyone else I have confidence that when he pitches there's a chance he could go 7 or 8 for us.

Great comment. Agree completely. And seems tough and stoic. All business. I hope Gausman is as good or better.

If Tillman and Gausman pitch like 1's and 2's, then we are in pretty good shape in the rotation this year and next! So far, so good.

He pitched great last night, but he won't become an ace until he can figure out how to stop wasting so many pitches. An ace has a consistent put-away pitch. Last night, Tillman was slamming the door, where he normally struggles to do that. It was fun to watch though, and I hope it happens a bunch more this season.

Archived