RHP Odrisamer Despaigne

xian4

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What's his option status looking like? Just the one for this season left? He might prevent us from making a dumb trade for a back end SP type this year. At worst he's a candidate to fill the Worley role next year. Good depth pickup so far.

Not sure on his options, but the guy we dealt for him (Jean Cosme) is having a nice year in low-A: 6-2, 2.60 ERA, 1.08 WHIP, with 44 K in 52 IP. 12 games, 8 starts.

What's his option status looking like? Just the one for this season left? He might prevent us from making a dumb trade for a back end SP type this year. At worst he's a candidate to fill the Worley role next year. Good depth pickup so far.

They used his first option this year. He will be around for a while, if wanted.

He has at least one option left after this year. He was signed in 2014 and began the year in the minors -- not sure if he was on the 40-man roster and was optioned, or whether he was merely assigned to the minors. He got called up in July and spend the rest of the year and all of 2015 in the majors, so no options used sending him back down until this spring.

As to this year, he has a 2.27 ERA over his last 8 starts, so he's headed in the right direction. I could see him getting called up at some point this year if he continues to pitch like that.

Or is Despaigne the next man up (rather than Gunkel) if Wright, Wilson, Jiminez, fall off the merry go round?

Despaigne is on the 40-man roster, and Gunkel is not.

Also, Gunkel is only 24 years-old, and he's just starting to throw effectively on a consistent basis at the AAA-level. Despaigne is 29 years-old, and has already pitched almost 2 full seasons in the Majors in 2014 and 2015.

Based on all of that, I think that it is highly likely that Despaigne would get called up to the Orioles before Gunkel. He (Despaigne) may not necessarily be inserted into the starting rotation (he'll more than likely be used in long relief if he is promoted), but he appears to be a lot closer to being called up than Gunkel.

Or is Despaigne the next man up (rather than Gunkel) if Wright, Wilson, Jiminez, fall off the merry go round?

Despaigne is on the 40-man roster, and Gunkel is not.

Also, Gunkel is only 24 years-old, and he's just starting to throw effectively on a consistent basis at the AAA-level. Despaigne is 29 years-old, and has already pitched almost 2 full seasons in the Majors in 2014 and 2015.

Based on all of that, I think that it is highly likely that Despaigne would get called up to the Orioles before Gunkel. He (Despaigne) may not necessarily be inserted into the starting rotation (he'll more than likely be used in long relief if he is promoted), but he appears to be a lot closer to being called up than Gunkel.

P.S. I just want to clarify my point about the age. I'm not inferring that Gunkel is not old enough for the Major Leagues at 24. Rather that Gunkel is probably viewed by the organization as more of a long-term possibility for the rotation in the future, while Despaigne probably is not. Hence, I suspect that Duquette and Showalter would be less willing to throw Gunkel to the proverbial wolves than they would be with Despaigne.

o

A toot of my own horn:

Well hell. Well, bring up Gunkel then.

He's not on the 40-man roster.

More significantly, I don't think that Gunkel is ready for the Majors yet.

Unlike the 29 year-old Odrisamer Despaigne, the 24 year-old Gunkel is probably seen by the organization as a possible long-term contributor to the club, hence they would be less likely to throw him to the wolves than someone like Despaigne because of the desperate situation that the Orioles currently find themselves in.

Archived