Julio Lugo

blueberryale77

A good example of how the Red Sox front office is overrated. They make plenty of mistakes, they just have the cash to overcome them.

Is it a mistake if they've taken a calculated risk, knowing full well that they won't be hurt if they have to eat salary they can afford? Or, if it is a mistake, is it a serious one?

Is it a mistake to take risk on buying a very unreliable Land Rover (that you obviously want for reasons besides reliability) if you make $50M a year? Obviously someone making $50k wouldn't buy the car, but the Red Sox aren't the guy making $50k managing the local Wal Mart. The Red Sox are the CEO of a Fortune 500 company. They light their cigars with cash the Royals use to pay the electric bill.

If the Orioles had signed Julio Lugo and he tanked it might have been a serious problem for them for years. It probably would have been a hit to any goals of being competitive. The Red Sox signed Julio Lugo and won the frickin' World Series.

I think anyone who assumes that Brian Cashman and Theo Epstein are overrated GMs because they have the freedom to burn more cash than some teams have on hand is misguided. We just don't know how they would handle a franchise with fewer resources.

Is it a mistake if they've taken a calculated risk, knowing full well that they won't be hurt if they have to eat salary they can afford? Or, if it is a mistake, is it a serious one?

I think anyone who assumes that Brian Cashman and Theo Epstein are overrated GMs because they have the freedom to burn more cash than some teams have on hand is misguided. We just don't know how they would handle a franchise with fewer resources.

OK, I take your point. However, I wasn't a fan of the money they spent on Lugo, I think that was a poor deal for any team.

The one thing I agree with Red Sox Nation about...

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2008/04/18/detractors_having_a_field_day_with_lugo/

Every time Luis Hernandez or Brandon Fahey messes up, just be glad we're not paying this guy $36 million over 4 years! :eek:

Isnt this the guy you LOVE?:eek:.I am being sarcastic! The wife beater?:mad:

Is it a mistake to take risk on buying a very unreliable Land Rover (that you obviously want for reasons besides reliability) if you make $50M a year? Obviously someone making $50k wouldn't buy the car, but the Red Sox aren't the guy making $50k managing the local Wal Mart. The Red Sox are the CEO of a Fortune 500 company. They light their cigars with cash the Royals use to pay the electric bill.

If the Orioles had signed Julio Lugo and he tanked it might have been a serious problem for them for years. It probably would have been a hit to any goals of being competitive. The Red Sox signed Julio Lugo and won the frickin' World Series.

No- that IS the point.

Because of their stack of blank checks- they are free to roll the dice early and often. That is a huge qualifier when debating the merits of GM's.

Most GM's could look good under those guidelines.

So, they could very well be overrated- especially Theo.

I say Theo is overrated because he was already heralded as some great GM before the Sox won their first title. But, is it really that *big* of an accomplishment to take over a 2nd place team with a stack of blank checks and finish in 2nd place again? He only got them to 1st place last year. It isn't like he came to Boston and pulled them out of the cellar.

We won't know how good he is until he goes to Pittsburgh (for ex) and turns them around. Same thing for some of the small town GMs- lets see what they can do on a NYY or BOS budget.

No- that IS the point.

Because of their stack of blank checks- they are free to roll the dice early and often. That is a huge qualifier when debating the merits of GM's.

Most GM's could look good under those guidelines.

So, they could very well be overrated- especially Theo.

I say Theo is overrated because he was already heralded as some great GM before the Sox won their first title. But, is it really that *big* of an accomplishment to take over a 2nd place team with a stack of blank checks and finish in 2nd place again? He only got them to 1st place last year. It isn't like he came to Boston and pulled them out of the cellar.

We won't know how good he is until he goes to Pittsburgh (for ex) and turns them around. Same thing for some of the small town GMs- lets see what they can do on a NYY or BOS budget.

So you agree with me: you can't judge Theo's or Cashman's ability to run a small-market team when they've only been asked to run a huge-market team.

So you agree with me: you can't judge Theo's or Cashman's ability to run a small-market team when they've only been asked to run a huge-market team.

And the opposite is also true- small market GM's can't be bashed for a few bad moves that would be erased or covered up if they had a NYY/BOS style bottomless piggy bank.

Archived