Chaz Roe, Zach Phillips assigned to Norfolk. Clear Waivers

Crazysilver03

My first response is yes. However, that is a bit unfair because I haven't seen much of Worley. What I would really have done is tried to keep Roe for now - knowing that an injury could pop up at any time. A lot could change before a roster crunch might force me to release Roe.

I can see that. I think their plan is to have four starters and eight relievers including Wilson. Wilson will be the 4/10 starter unless the starters get shelled or they go into extras. If they burn Wilson, the can send him down and bring up Odie.

Worley can go multiple innings easier than Roe, IMO. I think that's why he gets the edge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Valid points sir. Depth is important though.

I agree. They were smart to keep him around all spring in case any reliever other than Matusz got hurt, but Matusz was the only one to get hurt. With everybody healthy, we have a pen of:

Britton

O'Day

Givens

Brach

Matusz/LHP

Bundy

Worley

The choice was between Roe and Worley. Neither could be sent to the minors without DFA. Worley can work multiple innings and is depth as a SP. We still have Drake and Beato as RHP relief depth in AAA for the middle innings, like Roe is. Roe's not one of the 7 best relievers on the roster so he gets sent out, simple as that.

I agree. They were smart to keep him around all spring in case any reliever other than Matusz got hurt, but Matusz was the only one to get hurt. With everybody healthy, we have a pen of:

Britton

O'Day

Givens

Brach

Matusz/LHP

Bundy

Worley

The choice was between Roe and Worley. Neither could be sent to the minors without DFA. Worley can work multiple innings and is depth as a SP. We still have Drake and Beato as RHP relief depth in AAA for the middle innings, like Roe is. Roe's not one of the 7 best relievers on the roster so he gets sent out, simple as that.

Yup. I'm not concerned about losing Roe when RH relief pitching is the deepest part of the organization, perhaps by far.

I can see that. I think their plan is to have four starters and eight relievers including Wilson. Wilson will be the 4/10 starter unless the starters get shelled or they go into extras. If they burn Wilson, the can send him down and bring up Odie.

Worley can go multiple innings easier than Roe, IMO. I think that's why he gets the edge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think your analysis is spot on. Hope he clears, doubtful.

Britton

O'Day

Givens

Brach

Matusz/LHP

Bundy

Worley

The pitching depth to start the season is Drake, Beato, and Despaigne. McFarland probably shuttles back to AAA on the 10th when Matusz is ready. And Wilson back to AAA on the 19th when Gausman is ready.

The pitching depth to start the season is Drake, Beato, and Despaigne. McFarland probably shuttles back to AAA on the 10th when Matusz is ready. And Wilson back to AAA on the 19th when Gausman is ready.

Is McFarland making the team? I would think he is going to AAA, especially if Phillips is still on this team.

Roe is a dime a dozen reliever who lives and dies by his slider. Once hitters started laying off the pitch he was exposed a bit. The Orioles have plenty of right-handed relief options including those already in minor league camp. I for one will not miss lickapotamus. No offense to the guy, but the constant licking of his hand with like 3/4 of his tongue was just gross to watch.

Is McFarland making the team? I would think he is going to AAA, especially if Phillips is still on this team.

Just my guess. I think Phillips is DFA'd. He would only be with the team until the 10th when Matusz is scheduled to return. McFarland has an option and pitched well his last time out.

Archived