Kim's current predicament

isestrex

Most bench bats are kept around for at least one of three reasons:

1. They are speedy or are an exceptional baserunner that can pinch run in high pressure late game situations.

2. They can play the field very well (often at multiple positions) and can be used as a defensive replacement in late innings if the team has a negative fielder.

3. They hit at least one arm side very well and can provide a hitting boost over a weaker hitter in big situations.

As far as we know, Kim has none of these attributes. When we need a pinch runner, he's probably only an upgrade over Wieters or Pedro and even then he's not the 1st or 2nd pinch running option. There are doubts he'd even be an upgrade over Trumbo in RF (certainly not with the arm), and again he's 3rd on the bench depth chart as even Flaherty would be a better defensive replacement in the OF. And as for hitting, there are no holes in the lineup. The only player that might need a pinch hitter after a week of slumping would be Rickard. After the hot start, there's no reason to pinch hit for anyone. You could argue Alvarez has platoon issues, but Kim is LH and Reimold is the clear platoon partner to Alvarez's splits.

So that leaves Buck with absolutely no reason to use Kim other than to rest a player. In other words, he's like a 2nd Catcher. If he's not starting to give a player rest, he's not coming off the bench because he wouldn't be an upgrade anywhere.

This isn't a bashing on Kim for fighting to stay, or bashing the FO for their decision. But now that it's happened and we've seen how this team plays and this lineup is turning over, I'm really concerned that Kim won't get any experience. And when he does, he'll likely be rusty.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Buck said he plans to play Kim this weekend. If AJ keeps sitting or Alvarez can't get a hit he could be in LF or DH.

Yeah. If Kim does well, it could make it easier to let Jones fully recover. I have my doubts about Alvarez and Trumbo, though more the former. If Trumbo can't get the job done, Rickard would scoot over to right field or

if Jones is still injured, Reimold in right and Kim in left. I think Kim will get his playing time. I only hope he uses it wisely. Getting on base even once would be great.

Kim getting inserted into the starting OF and Trumbo getting demoted to (DH? the bench?)? Wake up. You're dreaming.

As one dimensional as he is, it's only a matter of time before his D starts costing us. If he was so good, he'd still be with any of the three teams he was formerly with. I may be wrong, but he is hardly the sure thing you

think he is.

Until I see otherwise, I think it's mostly a war of attrition. Buck will throw him an occasional bone, but the organization hopes he'll eventually accept going to the minors

Terrible brand strategy. Unless the Orioles are desperately searching for a third foot to shoot themselves in.

I am not a big Trumbo fan. He would have to have a stroke before Kim replaces him in the OF.

Or if his D starts costing us runs and wins and he hits like he did with Seattle slashing .263/.316/.419. Can't play D, can't get on base, can't run and slugging within 19 points of .400 is far less than a stroke and probably

enough for either Reimold OR Kim to threaten his job.

Kevin Gausman, LHP Brian Matusz and INF Jimmy Paredes are

on the DL. Does Parades get cut when he comes off?

Yes. He was doomed as soon as Pedro was signed. His only hope is that someone else is hurt by the time he comes off.

Until I see otherwise, I think it's mostly a war of attrition. Buck will throw him an occasional bone, but the organization hopes he'll eventually accept going to the minors

No bone so far.

As covered by RZNJ, he won't get in because his defense isn't good so he won't be a defensive replacement. He can't hit a good fast ball, so not a late inning PH. You aren't going to DH him because he is a singles hitter....

Guy is not a team player. He needs to go to the minors. I don't like players that aren't team players. Is that his fault completely? Maybe not, but he could have accepted the assignment so tired of hearing about "poor Kim" like he is some kind of martyr.

Screw Kim, he belongs in AA or back in Korea and shame on the Orioles for not cutting bait and setting a bad example.

No bone so far.

As covered by RZNJ, he won't get in because his defense isn't good so he won't be a defensive replacement. He can't hit a good fast ball, so not a late inning PH. You aren't going to DH him because he is a singles hitter....

Guy is not a team player. He needs to go to the minors. I don't like players that aren't team players. Is that his fault completely? Maybe not, but he could have accepted the assignment so tired of hearing about "poor Kim" like he is some kind of martyr.

Screw Kim, he belongs in AA or back in Korea and shame on the Orioles for not cutting bait and setting a bad example.

Kim signed a major league contract from an organization promising him a spot on the 25 man roster. He has every right to expect to be on a 25 man roster and getting major league playing time. It has nothing to do with being a team player.

If you believe he can't hit or field, then your "screw Kim" disappointment really should be directed at our front office.

Archived