Kim's current predicament

isestrex

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What I get to determine is how I personally feel about individual players and when a guy sucks in preseason and puts himself above the team because of one line in his contract, I get to decide I no longer want to cheer for him. I'd rather the guy that earned the spot get it so I hope he goes sooner rather than later so whoever the team feels deserves it can live out his dream.

There Is Orioles the team and Orioles the business. I always root for the team. I sometimes root for the business. The business side can be very callous and does what is best for the business. Understandably so, but it's still ugly at times. The business side seems to have made a big mistake with Kim. It is their fault if the team suffers a consequence, not Kim (in my opinion). Obviously at this point in the season the team is not suffering by having Kim on the roster. Once it matters I think the Orioles will eventually do something. The situation will eventually be resolved.

There Is Orioles the team and Orioles the business. I always root for the team. I sometimes root for the business. The business side can be very callous and does what is best for the business. Understandably so, but it's still ugly at times. The business side seems to have made a big mistake with Kim. It is their fault if the team suffers a consequence, not Kim (in my opinion). Obviously at this point in the season the team is not suffering by having Kim on the roster. Once it matters I think the Orioles will eventually do something. The situation will eventually be resolved.

This exactly. Kim either proves his ability under fire, or he doesn't. If he does, then he helps the team. If he does not, they will at some point cut bait and move on. This will resolve itself, and Kim is in control of that.

Kim signed a major league contract from an organization promising him a spot on the 25 man roster. He has every right to expect to be on a 25 man roster and getting major league playing time. It has nothing to do with being a team player.

If you believe he can't hit or field, then your "screw Kim" disappointment really should be directed at our front office.

There was no promise of a roster spot!!! I wish people would stop saying that.

How do you know that Kim did not have other suitors trying to get him on their major league team? How do you know the Os are not treating him worse than most other organizations would have? You are making preposterous conclusions and judgements on a guy without knowledge of what he was promised by the Os relative to other organizations. Your expectations of any perceived loyalty that Kim should have for the Orioles is also misguided in my opinion.

Separately, I think the conclusions reached on Kim after a limited number of spring training at-bats have been hasty. The guy deserved more ST at-bats and he deserves them now IMO. Kim may not work out, but I don't believe he's been given a fair shake.

Well life just isn't fair. Has it been '''FAIR"" to the Orioles who signed a guy who can't field as well as advertised and cannot

hit the fastball, and then refuses a minor league assignment.

Is that "FAIR" ?

Ridiculous.

He is? Geeze, I thought Henry was a weak OF, havent seen Kim play yet, so how can you judge? LOL

I have seen enough of Kim for a lifetime defensively and my thoughts are Buck has too. In one game I watched, he broke forward on the ball and it sailed way over his head. He looked like me playing OF after a few months in softball, it was painful to watch. In another game there was a play at the plate and he barely got the ball into the infield. The opposing team's announcers called it "noodle-esque" and chuckled.

Yeah, he is awesome.

He watched two plays of Kim's and that was all he needed.

Damn straight. I saw others, but those defined it for me. Good ball players can get the ball in from the OFer. I guess that isn't important. Silly me, overreacting.

Damn straight. I saw others, but those defined it for me. Good ball players can get the ball in from the OFer. I guess that isn't important. Silly me, overreacting.

Buck cautioned us about gauging OF, based on ST play on substandard fields, which can even give Gold Glovers headaches.

This situation reminds me of one the Redskins had back in the 90's with Heath Schuler and Gus Ferrotte. Heath was the #3 overall draft pick and was offered more money than any rookie in the history of the NFL, yet he chose to hold out for more. In the meantime, Gus, an unheralded 7th round pick out of Tulsa chose to come to camp early and learn the offense. By the time Schuler signed, Gus had already learned the offense and endeared himself to the coaching staff and fan base.

While what Kim is doing is not as egregious as Schuler's hold out, he seems more concerned with personal status over self improvement. In the meantime Joey Rickard is a long-shot who has already become a cult hero and fan favorite. Let's just hope Joey never head butts a wall.

Archived