I want to know more about Lucas Long

Frobby

15 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

The way things go in baseball, prospects also generally don't get rushed in the Majors, particularly prospects that are not even on the 40-man roster whom are 2 steps below the Major Leagues.

The Orioles also have Jayson Aquino, a promising pitcher who has experience at AAA and the Majors (neither of which Long has) who is on the 40-man roster that could take Jimenez' place in the rotation.

Long is 24 years old.  It's a stretch to say the O's would be rushing him, imo.  

Aquino, also 24, would be a good choice, except for a thing called performance.  He's put up poor stats in a pitcher's league - not to mention doing poorly in his few opportunities in Baltimore this year.  And last year at Bowie, Aquino was 5-10 with a 4.29 ERA - giving up 130 hits in 115 innings.  Long is 6-3, a 2.17 ERA, and we've already gone over his other stats.  Again, if performance matters, I'm not sure how you'd prefer Aquino over Long.  

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

Long is 24 years old.  It's a stretch to say the O's would be rushing him, imo.  

Aquino, also 24, would be a good choice, except for a thing called performance.  He's put up poor stats in a pitcher's league - not to mention doing poorly in his few opportunities in Baltimore this year.  And last year at Bowie, Aquino was 5-10 with a 4.29 ERA - giving up 130 hits in 115 innings.  Long is 6-3, a 2.17 ERA, and we've already gone over his other stats.  Again, if performance matters, I'm not sure how you'd prefer Aquino over Long.  

o

In 2 Major League starts this season, Aquino pitched very well against the Red Sox, and he pitched fairly well (better than his final line of 5.33 innings and 3 earned runs) more recently against the Brewers.

He has also pitched well in 2 out of his last 3 starts at AAA-Norfolk, including a 6-inning, 1-run game on the road against Pawtucket.

There are reasons why he is on the 40-man roster and Long isn't, and I believe that they are good ones. I would take either of them over Jimenez.

o

Lucas Long has started all of 6 AA games this year.    That tells me the O's didn't even think he'd be a better starter than John Means, Matthew Grimes, David Hess or Brandon Barker, much less that he could be thrown into a big league rotation.   And I find it interesting that it's only this week that he's made two consecutive starts for the first time.   That tells me the O's don't really think he's a starter, even though he's done well when called upon to start.    Don't ask me why, but I expect they have their reasons for thinking that.    I'm sure they can read the stat page as well as we can.   I'd rather see him promoted to AAA than to the majors.   

He stunk before this season and was a very low round pick - that's why he wasn't highly regarded.  But, ya gotta get yer head out of your arse sometimes.  He did, and he's performed really well this season.  So, it's up to people evaluating to catch up and do the same.   

20 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

He stunk before this season and was a very low round pick - that's why he wasn't highly regarded.  But, ya gotta get yer head out of your arse sometimes.  He did, and he's performed really well this season.  So, it's up to people evaluating to catch up and do the same.   

I wouldn't say Long stunk last year.  He started in Delmarva, got promoted after posting a 0.50 ERA in three starts, and pitched to a 4.27 ERA the rest of the year in Frederick.   That said, Means and Grimes did much better and deservedly got promoted to Bowie mid-season last year. It's not surprising that they were above Long in the pecking order to start the year, and I suppose it's not surprising that AA holdovers Hess and Barker were pegged above him, either.    It's just interesting that until now, he never got a second straight start, considering his spot starts were:

5.2 IP, 1 ER

7.0 IP, 2 ER

7.0 IP, 1 ER

6.0 IP, 3 ER

He finally got a second straight start after posting a 7 IP, 0 ER outing on July 16.

8 hours ago, Ruzious said:

His xFIP (expected fielding independent pitching) has been in the low 3s ever since being drafted. xFIP tends to be a better indicator of true talent in most pitchers than FIP or ERA.  I'd argue Long has pitched quite well ever since he was drafted, but the low draft slot, and lack of big strikeout numbers have kept him out of the spotlight. 

This year his performance has taken another step to the point it's hard to deny his prospect status.

Racked today for 6 runs and 9 hits, plus 3 walks in 2.1 innings.   Perhaps we are finding out why Long has been used primarily in relief this year even though his occasional spot starts were highly successful.    And I guess the suggestion that he should skip AAA and be inserted in the Orioles' rotation can be tabled for a while.   

On 7/25/2017 at 9:45 AM, OFFNY said:

o

The way things go in baseball, prospects also generally don't get rushed in the Majors, particularly prospects that are not even on the 40-man roster whom are 2 steps below the Major Leagues.

The Orioles also have Jayson Aquino, a promising pitcher who has experience at AAA and the Majors (neither of which Long has) who is on the 40-man roster that could take Jimenez' place in the rotation.

I watched Aquino last night. If his release point is on, he can throw strikes. It can get inconsistant at points, but is overall consistant enough to get him through 5-6 innings without a whole lot of runs given up. 

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

Racked today for 6 runs and 9 hits, plus 3 walks in 2.1 innings.   Perhaps we are finding out why Long has been used primarily in relief this year even though his occasional spot starts were highly successful.    And I guess the suggestion that he should skip AAA and be inserted in the Orioles' rotation can be tabled for a while.   

I'd use him as another BP piece on the shuffle or be a full time starter in Norfolk. 

o

7 OUTS: l  3 Strikeouts, 3 Groundouts (Including 1 Double Play)

LUCAS LONG )))))))))) (vs. AA-Erie, 7/26)

IP:llll 2.33

H:lllll 9 ll (1 Home Run, 8 Singles)

R:lllll 6

BB:lll 3 ) *

SO:lll 3

Pitches: )l 75 )(45 )Strikes)30 )Balls)

2017 ERA: )l 2.72 )l (AA-Bowie)

2017 WHIP: l) 1.142 )l (AA-Bowie) )  89.33 IP  (90 H/BB)

2017 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: )l .245 )l (AA-Bowie) )  83 for 339

* ) 1 of the Walks was Intentional

PITCHES BY INNING

24 ll(13 llllStrikes, ll 11  llBalls) 

26 ll(15 lllStrikes, ll 11  llBalls)

25 lll(17 lllStrikes, lll 81 llBalls) ) **

** ) Long recorded 1 out before departing in the 3rd inning.

o

o

6 Shutout Innings, on 90 Pitches. 

0 Walks, 6 Strikeouts.

18 OUTS: )  6 Strikeouts, 6 Groundouts (Including 1 Double Play), 2 Flyouts, 1 Lineout, 1 Caught Stealing, 1 Thrown Out at Home

LUCAS LONG )))))))))) (vs. AA-New Hampshire, 8/01)

IP:llll 6

H:lllll 6 ll (6 Singles)

R:lllll 0

BB:ll 0

SO:ll 6

Pitches: )l 90 )(63 )Strikes)27 )Balls)

2017 ERA: )l 2.55 )l (AA-Bowie)

2017 WHIP: l) 1.133 )l (AA-Bowie) )  95.33 IP  (108 H/BB)

2017 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: )l .247 )l (AA-Bowie) )  89 for 361

PITCHES BY INNING

16 l(12 llllStrikes, lll 4  llBalls) 

10 ll(71 lllStrikes, lll 3  llBalls)

12 lll(71 llllStrikes, lll 5 lllBalls)

22 lll(15 llllStrikes, ll 7  llBalls) 

16 lll(12 lllStrikes, lll 4  llBalls)

14 lll(10 llllStrikes, ll 4  llBalls) 

o

• 2 weeks later...

o

0 Walks and 7 Strikeouts (although Long did have 1 Hit Batsman) over 5.67 Innings Pitched.

Excellent Strikes-to-Balls ratio (63 Strikes, 23 Balls.)

17 OUTS: l  7 Strikeouts, 4 Groundouts (Including 1 Double Play), 2 Lineouts (Including 1 Double Play), 1 Popout, 1 Flyout

LUCAS LONG  )))))))))) (vs. AA-Portland, 8/13)

IP:llll 5.67

H:lllll 9 ll (2 Doubles, 7 Singles)

R:lllll 2

BB:lll 0 ) *

SO:lll 7

Pitches: )l 86 )(63 )Strikes)23 )Balls)

2017 ERA: )l 2.90 )l (AA-Bowie)

2017 WHIP: l) 1.202 )l (AA-Bowie)  )  105.67 IP  (127 H/BB)

2017 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: )l .260 )l (AA-Bowie)  )  106 for 407

* ) Long had 1 Hit Batsman

PITCHES BY INNING

10 ll(71 llllStrikes, ll 3  lBalls) 

10 ll(81 llllStrikes, ll 2  llBalls) 

19 ll(15 llllStrikes, ll 4  llBalls) 

18 ll(14 llllStrikes, lll 4  llBalls) 

14 ll(91 llllStrikes, lll 5  llBalls) 

15 lll(10 llllStrikes, lll 5  llBalls) ) **

** ) Long recorded 2 outs before departing in the 6th inning.

o

Archived