A Role for Kim

Filmstudy

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I guess you haven't watched Ubaldo, Wright or Gallardo pitch this year. He'd be an enormous upgrade over those losers. And that really speaks to how atrocious the bottom of our rotation is. Yeah, Shields costs a lot of money. But having an extra guy in the rotation who can at least keep you in the game and give your offense a chance would greatly increase our odds of getting in the playoffs. You can't put a price on that. Also, imagine having Ubaldo, Wright and Gallardo out there during the playoffs. Nauseous?

Duquette's job is to put a price on that.

He's started a lot of rallies' date=' enjoy his at bats. Reminds me a bit of Markakis and Ichiro with that swing.[/quote']

My wife said Ichiro as well. I see a little Hideki Matsui. A combo of both on some levels. He looks real good.

He is a pure hitter. He's perfect for this lineup too because he's not up there trying to mash everything over the fence the way most of our guys are.

Depending on the count he won't get cheated either. His approach is a real joy to watch even when he ends up making an out.

He is a pure hitter. He's perfect for this lineup too because he's not up there trying to mash everything over the fence the way most of our guys are.

Yep. And the much needed lefty at the top of the lineup. Just as advertised.

This experiment with Jones leading off seems to be working.

Kudos to Kim. He has been a game changer batting 2nd as team needed a contact hitter and on base machine badly.

He looks very confident now and he has noticeably slimmed down

Here was my projected lineup at the start of the season:

3B Machado ®

LF Kim (L)

CF Jones ®

1B Davis (L)

RF Trumbo ®

DH Alvarez (L)

2B Schoop ®

C Wieters (S)

SS Hardy ®

Here was the lineup last night:

CF Jones ®

LF Kim (L)

3B Machado ®

1B Davis (L)

RF Trumbo ®

C Wieters (S)

DH Alvarez (L)

2B Schoop ®

3B Flaherty (L)

...when Hardy comes back, you'll see an even more similar lineup.

Sorry if this has been posted; but a really encouraging article that highlights that this might not be a fluke/luck.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-five-orioles-stats-that-stand-out-what-makes-hyun-soo-kim-the-hitting-machine-20160609-story.html

He's really a perfect #2 hitter, and quickly becoming one of my favorites. I guess Dan and the scouts actually do know baseball #sarcasm.

Sorry if this has been posted; but a really encouraging article that highlights that this might not be a fluke/luck.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-five-orioles-stats-that-stand-out-what-makes-hyun-soo-kim-the-hitting-machine-20160609-story.html

He's really a perfect #2 hitter, and quickly becoming one of my favorites. I guess Dan and the scouts actually do know baseball #sarcasm.

Does the Sun know that Jon Meoli's piece looks like it was cribbed off of this Instagraphs piece from June 6th?

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/instagraphs/the-upside-of-hyun-soo-kims-downside/

Does the Sun know that Jon Meoli's piece looks like it was cribbed off of this Instagraphs piece from June 6th?

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/instagraphs/the-upside-of-hyun-soo-kims-downside/

Meh, that's a reach. The part that stood out to me in Meoli's article was the exit speed on Kim's contact. I'm floored, because I didn't think he hit the ball hard the first few times I saw him. I was afraid he was just a slightly better version of Urritia. I was definitely wrong on that.

95.6 – Not all ground balls are created equally, but Kim doesn’t get cheated on them. His 95.5 mph average exit velocity on ground balls is second only to Marlins slugger Giancarlo Stanton (96.3 mph on ground balls). Stanton hasn’t exactly been a bastion of batting average stability this season and is currently batting .202, but his batted ball profile isn’t an exact match for Kim’s. No one hit ground balls that hard last season, though the leader among position players was Mark Trumbo.

Archived