A Role for Kim

Filmstudy

Meh, that's a reach. The part that stood out to me in Meoli's article was the exit speed on Kim's contact. I'm floored, because I didn't think he hit the ball hard the first few times I saw him. I was afraid he was just a slightly better version of Urritia. I was definitely wrong on that.

The Instagraphs piece talks about that as well.

In fact if you go back and look at the earlier posts about Kim, myself and others cite his average exit velocity. I admit I was shocked when I looked his up and saw it was above average.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Instagraphs piece talks about that as well.

In fact if you go back and look at the earlier posts about Kim, myself and others cite his average exit velocity. I admit I was shocked when I looked his up and saw it was above average.

It especially surprised me because it seems like when he gets deep in counts, he becomes a bit of a defensive hitter - since he hates striking out. One would think that being defensive would reduce his exit velocity.

Kim is going through a slump and it's not fun. Last 14 days, .235/.333/.294/.627. The good thing is, even a slumping Kim gets on base 33% of the time.

Yes, we've needed a player like that. Very impressive sense of the strike zone--it seems like the umps haven't been hazing him *too* much about it either.

Kim is going through a slump and it's not fun. Last 14 days, .235/.333/.294/.627. The good thing is, even a slumping Kim gets on base 33% of the time.

The "slump" (for the record, I wouldn't call it a real slump if the OBP is .333) is over. OBP is up to .419 with an .846 OPS. Runs the bases well and Buck has enough confidence in his defense now to let him play whole games (unlike the case with Trumbo). His bat control and sense of the strike zone are so precise I really don't foresee him falling into prolonged slumps like some of our sluggers. I hope the scouts that talked him up didn't get demoted because of the embarrassing ST/early season loss of faith.

The "slump" (for the record, I wouldn't call it a real slump if the OBP is .333) is over. OBP is up to .419 with an .846 OPS. Runs the bases well and Buck has enough confidence in his defense now to let him play whole games (unlike the case with Trumbo). His bat control and sense of the strike zone are so precise I really don't foresee him falling into prolonged slumps like some of our sluggers. I hope the scouts that talked him up didn't get demoted because of the embarrassing ST/early season loss of faith.

I hope so too. Especially with the precedent set by Jung Ho Kang.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived