Manny on the basepath

Drifter

Yaz was also fined during 1969 for not running out ground balls. It's mentioned in Ball Four and Bouton refers to a conversation with one or more members of the Red Sox who made no attempt to defend him, but instead said he'd "always had some dog in him".

That is a good historical catch.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know right. He's just the best player in baseball. The best 3rd baseman. The best shortstop.

The possibly made the smartest baseball play I've ever seen a few years ago when he faked a throw to first and threw behind the runner at third. Beast. MVP.

He's really quite good.

A real star would have been practicing going the other way and lined a single to RF. That'll come in handy all those times where shortening up and going with the pitch is the right call, instead of a selfish extra base hit.

He could have taken the 3-0 pitch to work the pitch count a little more, TBH.

I'm perfectly fine with someone criticizing a player for being lackadaisical, no matter how well they are hitting or how well they field when their head in the game. I just don't happen to agree that Manny has a lot of mental lapses. I don't see it with him any more than any other player.

Agree completely.

Remember this? http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/6479266/v24727839

<iframe src='http://m.mlb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=24727839&topic_id=6479266&width=400&height=224&property=mlb' width='400' height='224' frameborder='0'></iframe>

I'm not a Manny detractor, just someone who loves the game, and likes seeing it played the way it should 'always' be played. Everyone makes mistakes.. which is why we are classified humans.

If I was going to sit down and teach a young ballplayer how to play the game, I'd show the things that are done correctly, and incorrectly. You either teach them right, or you do them a disservice.

Manny is still my favorite player.

Thanks for the replies

I'm not a Manny detractor, just someone who loves the game, and likes seeing it played the way it should 'always' be played. Everyone makes mistakes.. which is why we are classified humans.

If I was going to sit down and teach a young ballplayer how to play the game, I'd show the things that are done correctly, and incorrectly. You either teach them right, or you do them a disservice.

Manny is still my favorite player.

Thanks for the replies

We appreciate your contribution. At least Manny does not threaten and curse the umpires often.

Guy hits 2 HR has 6 RBI and you are carping because he isn't quite JJ Hardy ....yet?:rolleyestf:

Yeah this level of nit picking our best player is in the same level of that Wieters thread last week where his defensive gem bailed out Mike Wright yet he was ragged in for not going to the mound to baby sit Wright when he was having trouble.

Agree completely.

Remember this? http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/6479266/v24727839

<iframe src='http://m.mlb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=24727839&topic_id=6479266&width=400&height=224&property=mlb' width='400' height='224' frameborder='0'></iframe>

With some research, I was able to dig up the game thread from that contest.

The reactions to Machado's play begin on Pg. 47:

vs. Rays 9/12 Hangout Night at Camden Yards Orange-Out Section 8

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/125792-vs-Rays-9-12-Hangout-Night-at-Camden-Yards-Orange-Out-Section-8/page47

Perhaps this could be appropriated into the "Classic Threads" section, if it is not in there already ???

As great as Manny has been playing this year, he seems to have his head in the clouds on the base paths. That's three times he has taken the bat out of Davis' hands with runners in scoring position. Perhaps it has already happened but, at what point does Buck pull him aside and get this straightened out?

He had a stupid smirk on his face before he took off too. Wonder what that was about? He almost got picked off on the previous play and it seemed maybe he wanted to show the Twins up for taking a moment to review the play.

As great as Manny has been playing this year, he seems to have his head in the clouds on the base paths. That's three times he has taken the bat out of Davis' hands with runners in scoring position. Perhaps it has already happened but, at what point does Buck pull him aside and get this straightened out?

Or maybe Davis.

Manny rounding the base paths.

Archived