Top needs for O's this year

bluedog

What do you see as unsustainable about his INFH, out of curiosity?

It's a fair question and I don't have anything more than a feeling and characteristics, but his INFH rate (as well as the number of bloop hits) seems very high. I don't have the actual total (please post if you do), but of his 26 singles, I'd estimate 9 have been on the infield. This is not a case like Rob Wilfong of a superb bunter and fast LHB whose skill set is very specific to generate INFH. If my estimates are correct and he were to lose 1/3 of his INFH, his BA would be .250 and his OBP would drop to approximately .300.

I'm surprised at the hate Rickard receives on this board.

No one hates Rickard. They just wonder why, between his just okay performance (and the strong performance of Kim and Reimold), he is getting so much playing time. Keep playing him, definitely, but there's no good reason he should be getting so much more playing time than Reimold/Kim, especially with his dramatic platoon splits. He's an ideal platoon player being treated like an everyday one.

As for OP's question: I'm in favor of not pissing away assets in order to improve our odds by a percentage point or two.

No one hates Rickard. They just wonder why, between his just okay performance (and the strong performance of Kim and Reimold), he is getting so much playing time. Keep playing him, definitely, but there's no good reason he should be getting so much more playing time than Reimold/Kim, especially with his dramatic platoon splits. He's an ideal platoon player being treated like an everyday one.

As for OP's question: I'm in favor of not pissing away assets in order to improve our odds by a percentage point or two.

Ok, fair enough. Kim should definitely be getting more playing time, but I don't think Buck likes putting him in the field.

We are having trouble finding at bats for our current group of outfielders as it is because everyone is playing so well. We don't need to add another OFer this season unless the circumstances completely change.

Another quality starter is the only clear need I see right now. And I don't want to give up any of our top 5 prospects for it (Mancini, Sisco, Reyes, Harvey, or Hess). The minor league system is depleted as it is and can't afford to part with anymore cost controlled talent. I'm sure others would disagree.

We have excellent bullpen depth. Givens, as good as he is, may be a guy to consider moving to bring in a good starter. No more two month rentals either, please. Give me someone with at least a year left on their contract so we aren't putting all our eggs into 2016.

It's a fair question and I don't have anything more than a feeling and characteristics, but his INFH rate (as well as the number of bloop hits) seems very high. I don't have the actual total (please post if you do), but of his 26 singles, I'd estimate 9 have been on the infield. This is not a case like Rob Wilfong of a superb bunter and fast LHB whose skill set is very specific to generate INFH. If my estimates are correct and he were to lose 1/3 of his INFH, his BA would be .250 and his OBP would drop to approximately .300.

Interesting info.

Ok, fair enough. Kim should definitely be getting more playing time, but I don't think Buck likes putting him in the field.

That's ironic. Rickard is dead last in UZR among left fielders and only Gerardo Parra has cost his team more runs defensively in LF than Rickard has.

That's ironic. Rickard is dead last in UZR among left fielders and only Gerardo Parra has cost his team more runs defensively in LF than Rickard has.

I trust one month of any defensive stat.

:rolleyestf:

So we're 20% of the way through the season and the O's are 10 games above .500 and playing well in every area of the game. The bullpen has been dominant, defense is great, starting pitching is better than expected so far and the hitting has been strong.

Unless something changes, we're clearly a team with a good chance of contending all year long.

With the Cubs seemingly invincible in the NL and 9 teams already 8 or more games out of first place in their divisions, it seems like there will be opportunities for the O's to improve themselves through trades to teams that see themselves as already being out of the race in June / July.

My question is where do we have the best opportunity to improve and (more importantly) the willingness on the part of the front office to do something about it?

Best opportunities to improve:

Catcher (Wieters / Joseph are pretty weak offensively)

SS or 3b (wherever Manny isn't)

LF (Rickard has been fairly productive, but there's room for improvement)

RF / DH (Trumbo to DH, Alvarez to LF PH off the bench would open up a spot to improve the RF defense and to replace Alvarez's poor offensive showing with a better bat)

#3 & 5 Starter (Jiminez & Wright could be improved upon significantly)

Bench (Flaherty)

I don't see many other opportunities to make a difference.

Willingness to make a move:

Catcher - I don't see DD making any moves here.

SS or 3b - unless Hardy is hurt long term, I don't see any move here.

LF - could get a star and move Rickard to the bench as a PR / defensive replacement

RF - could get a star and move Trumbo to DH and Alvarez to bench

#3 Starter - I don't see Jiminez being moved, benched or cut

#5 Starter - Wright could be replaced, but that would force Gallardo out when he returns, which I don't see happening

Bench - I could see the O's looking to improve on Flaherty, especially if Hardy is out for a while, but this is low impact

I think the most likely move for the O's would be trying to grab a major upgrade at a corner outfield position. Someone who can provide superior hitting and outfield defense and let Trumbo slide to DH. I'm not sure what other moves are feasible for the O's this year.

So the most intriguing fit I've been able to find that might be available and move the needle for the O's would be Ryan Braun. He's not a stellar defender, but he's an upgrade over Trumbo and if he continues to perform as he did last year and over the start of this year, he's a 3.5 to 5.0 WAR player offensively.

Anyone got any other ideas about impact moves the O's could (and would) potentially make this year to improve the team?

Well I don't know but they are winning. As long as they are winning then don't fix

what ain't broke. Sorry but I don't know how to really answer your post. Sorry

maybe I just don't understand the point your trying to make.

Jeter made a career out of INFH's & Bloops . . . . . . .

Archived