Mike Wright

Bird Dog

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wright's antics on the field are really starting to grate on me. Palmer is constantly referencing him needing to not let bad pitches get to him. I had no idea he wasn't open to advice from him.

So if Wright is removed from the rotation, what is the move? Tolliver is gone to make room to TJ.

I would propose Worley to the rotation, TJ to the bullpen so we have a lefty matchup option. Wright goes down, leaving open a bullpen slot. Drake?

Ubaldo gets another shot today. I think regardless of how he does, Gallardo replaces him in the rotation, with Ubaldo going to the bullpen and Drake back to AAA.

So if Wright is removed from the rotation, what is the move? Tolliver is gone to make room to TJ.

I would propose Worley to the rotation, TJ to the bullpen so we have a lefty matchup option. Wright goes down, leaving open a bullpen slot. Drake?

Ubaldo gets another shot today. I think regardless of how he does, Gallardo replaces him in the rotation, with Ubaldo going to the bullpen and Drake back to AAA.

I believe this is correct, although if Ubaldo pitches effectively tonight, it's going to buy him some more time before they decide to go with McFarland/Worley.

I've heard JP say this and was telling my brother the same very thing last night. Brach has three good pitches (that's three more than both Jimenez or Wright), but Buck likes guys who are already successful in their current roles to stay put. We've seen the same speculation about Britton who at least has some experience as a starter. I don't believe Brach has any.

I don't think Brach has the stamina to start with that delivery. He does have three pitches but I shudder to think what would happen if he had to throw 100 pitches with that delivery.

Meanwhile, Miguel Gonzalez is imitating a decent ML starting pitcher for the Chicago White Sox while we have Mike Wright and Ubaldo Jimenez getting hammered. Looks like someone made a boo boo.

The same people who thought Zach Davies was worth Parra for the stretch last year.

Davies in his last six starts: 2.97, 28 K, 8 BB, 36.1 IP while batters hit a .208/.250/.392/.642 slash line.

Wright in his last six starts: 6.31, 18K, 10 BB, 25.2 IP while batters hit a .308/.368/.558/.925 slash line

Wilson in his last six starts: 4.21, 20K, 10 BB, 36.1 IP while batters hit a .241/.294/.426/.720 slash line

Wright is clearly the worse of the three, but because he's lights up the radar guns, some scouts believe he was the better pitching prospect so Davies was tossed away as a 5th starter depth guy.

Imagine had the Orioles kept Davies and not signed Gallardo? They'd only have to figure out an new option for Ubaldo in the rotation and would have two first round picks in the coming draft.

Worley is the long man and Wright sucked last night. What else did you expect?

He could have gone Bundy or TJ. Going with Worley lines him up to take Wright's next start, whereas using TJ later this week would eliminate him as a possibility.

This whole situation is eerily similar to Arietta. I hope this organization has learned enough to not give up on the young man

Wright and Arrieta are two totally different cases. Wright has never had the upside of an Arrieta.

This whole situation is eerily similar to Arietta. I hope this organization has learned enough to not give up on the young man

Their fastballs clock out similarly, but IMO their breaking stuff isn't close. Jake's breaking pitches were extremely sharp when they were on. I don't recall seeing that from Wright. I'm definitely not an expert though.

He could have gone Bundy or TJ. Going with Worley lines him up to take Wright's next start, whereas using TJ later this week would eliminate him as a possibility.

He wasn't going to pitch Bundy or Tolliver (who was sent down) last night according to either Roch or the broadcast team.

I'd send Wright down today. The O's need another bullpen arm for the next few games, and Wright has certainly earned a trip back to Norfolk. He might never be a TOR starter, but he could be a decent enough back end starter or power setup man if he could learn how to deal better with frustration.

Wright is a 5 inning guy right now he has pitched decen in all his starts up until yesterday until the 6th inning. There is potential is still there and if Buck can limit him to 5 innings each start and piggyback him we could be ok.

Archived