Mike Wright

Bird Dog

?No, I was strong,? he said. ?I made good pitches. It was a ground ball that could have been called foul. Chris (Davis) didn?t handle it extremely well. He outran it. The double that (Drew) Butera hit, that?s a good pitch. I don?t want to take that back. It crept a little over the plate, but you can?t be perfect. I still felt strong.?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
?No, I was strong,? he said. ?I made good pitches. It was a ground ball that could have been called foul. Chris (Davis) didn?t handle it extremely well. He outran it. The double that (Drew) Butera hit, that?s a good pitch. I don?t want to take that back. It crept a little over the plate, but you can?t be perfect. I still felt strong.?

Yikes, not a good comment.

I always thought he was a reliever as I have stated numerous times BUT it's not like our track record on pitching development is a good one. He's the guy that has success elsewhere. Hope that doesn't happen. Give him more time. Ubaldo and Gallardo, the great DD signings, give me much more concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He kind of reminds me of Daniel Cabrera. Great stuff, but can't execute. I don't think Cabrera wasn't open to advice, though.

You think Wright has great stuff? He has no change up to speak of and the FB and slider are the only pitches he commands even occasionally. But even with command I'd call those pitches average offerings, not great.

I think we just need to accept the fact that he's a 4-5 inning SP. The third around the lineup is killer. But right now he's the best we have and we do have some roster flexibility to manage that and not burn out the pen. Worley, Tolliver and Givens are going to have to be used to bridge the gap in close games with Bundy doing a little, but primarily in a mop up role. And all that is fine. Just win baby.

Maybe Wright will find some time in his schedule this week to listen to Mr. Palmer...

If what has been said in this thread about him is true, it almost makes me not want to root for him. Unfortunately we don't have many more alternatives....

Maybe Wright will find some time in his schedule this week to listen to Mr. Palmer...

If what has been said in this thread about him is true, it almost makes me not want to root for him. Unfortunately we don't have many more alternatives....

Maybe. Some players being brought through their playing career, are led to believe they can do no wrong, or are egomaniacs. They get to the majors, and it's all because of their skillset. It's happened many times, and will happen many more.

The guys with the natural abilities (like Wright), who finally start to listen to good coaching, are the ones who will survive in the majors. Wright is on the cusp of having his MLB career cut short... if it's not too late.

I don't know how long we can keep trotting Wright and Ubaldo out there. Gallardo is making a rehab start tomorrow. He's probably going to make at least 2 of those, I would think. Wright has no business being in the rotation.

TJ Macfarland maybe? There really isn't an option in the minors. We could swap him and Worley until Gallardo gets back. Something has go to give.

I don't know how long we can keep trotting Wright and Ubaldo out there. Gallardo is making a rehab start tomorrow. He's probably going to make at least 2 of those, I would think. Wright has no business being in the rotation.

TJ Macfarland maybe? There really isn't an option in the minors. We could swap him and Worley until Gallardo gets back. Something has go to give.

Worley threw 60 pitches today. Got stretched out pretty good. He could pitch in Wright's spot on normal rest, with TJ now serving as long man/lefty. Then you could bring up Drake for the bullpen.

Gallardo takes the place of Wright. Ubaldo I have no idea. Despaigne? Miranda? Gunkel? None of those guys are pitching all that well. But I have to imagine ABU is better than Ubaldo.

*ABU = Anybody But Ubaldo

McFarland/Worley tag team? I don't know what happens if Ubaldo is a hot mess tomorrow.

Archived