Duquette Run Is Over

FSUBobcat7

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We can try and rebuild it for him. I know he called me glib and a couple other things...and he used the cool emoticon.

If that helps.

I was not interested in a paraphrase and I erased it by accident.

Then no offense, but you're expectations are silly. Very, very few teams perform well (at/above 500) over periods longer than that. I suppose you can want to be the Yankees in the 20s or 90s or the Braves in the 2000s, but I just don't think that is very realistic. There is rarely more than 1 team in all of MLB performing better than the Orioles have over the last 4.3 seasons.

Beane is a good GM and Oakland hasn't done that.

Tampa had/has a good system and they haven't done that.

Boston hasn't done that.

The Yankees used to do it when their payroll advantage was even larger and they had 4 stud players develop in the minors at once (Bernie Williams, Derek Jeter, Mariano Rivera, and Jorge Posada), but they haven't done that in years.

The Braves did it for years, but they were awful before that run and they are awful again.

The Cards are probably the only current team that can point to a consistently good performance over more than 5 years that is still going on and there is least a decent chance of them falling below 500 this season.

I do think Theo is headed for that in Chicago and I certainly think he is better than DD along with a handful of other GMs, but I am perfectly happy with the results of the last 5 years and the understanding that it won't last.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That isn't the criteria I am using.

Do you think last year would have been substantially less successful if they had lost one more game and fell under .500?

Look what Dan's big extension does early game day.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Jordan taking fielding practice and throwing to <a href="https://twitter.com/SimplyAJ10">@SimplyAJ10</a> <a href="https://t.co/jH7JXdH0hj">pic.twitter.com/jH7JXdH0hj</a></p>— brian winebrenner (@bri7467) <a href="

">June 4, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I didn't realize putting together a poll asking about Duquette was a sure fire way of asking for his head on a platter.

That said, people are writing Gallardo off because our doctors didn't like his physical, he's lost 6 mph off his fastball, and he's getting hit around left and right.

Gonzo was cut for cost savings. He's still a better pitcher than Wright. And cutting him was irresponsible considering this club has no starting pitching depth when Wright stunk it up and Gallardo got injured.

As for not being able to pitch in the AL East, I think that's an unfounded statement. He was fantastic last year until his injury. And I think he will turn it around this year.

Then no offense, but you're expectations are silly. Very, very few teams perform well (at/above 500) over periods longer than that. I suppose you can want to be the Yankees in the 20s or 90s or the Braves in the 2000s, but I just don't think that is very realistic. There is rarely more than 1 team in all of MLB performing better than the Orioles have over the last 4.3 seasons.

Beane is a good GM and Oakland hasn't done that.

Tampa had/has a good system and they haven't done that.

Boston hasn't done that.

The Yankees used to do it when their payroll advantage was even larger and they had 4 stud players develop in the minors at once (Bernie Williams, Derek Jeter, Mariano Rivera, and Jorge Posada), but they haven't done that in years.

The Braves did it for years, but they were awful before that run and they are awful again.

The Cards are probably the only current team that can point to a consistently good performance over more than 5 years that is still going on and there is least a decent chance of them falling below 500 this season.

I do think Theo is headed for that in Chicago and I certainly think he is better than DD along with a handful of other GMs, but I am perfectly happy with the results of the last 5 years and the understanding that it won't last.

Tampa wins from 2008-2013

Don't ask me specious questions and this won't devolve into another BS argument.

I don't want to put words in your mouth so why don't you define whatever criteria meets your demands and tell me how many teams have performed to it over a period longer than 5 years in the last 20 years?

You are the one that mentioned .500 and above, not me.

We both know that a couple unfortunate injuries can turn a well built team into an also-ran and that some players can not be adequately replaced with depth. That is part of the reason that I don't like looking at arbitrary things like win totals.

To me you need to have a sustained (I like six years, but five could work) period of competitiveness without the need of a total rebuild at the end of it. (Yes you could have a "down" year within the run)

I'm not going to comb through my memories and available resources to make a list for you, sorry but this isn't important enough to me.

Duquette was not their GM. This thread is about Duquette being awful and being done.

FWIW, I don't think Duquette is awful. There are a lot of awful GMs in baseball. I just think Duquette is merely average (maybe a tad over) and had a lot of help from MacPhail and Showalter. I'd give Duquette a hell of a lot more credit if he could properly build a farm system and win. Think there's been a lot of missteps that prevented him from building the system, personally.

FWIW, I don't think Duquette is awful. There are a lot of awful GMs in baseball. I just think Duquette is merely average (maybe a tad over) and had a lot of help from MacPhail and Showalter. I'd give Duquette a hell of a lot more credit if he could properly build a farm system and win. Think there's been a lot of missteps that prevented him from building the system, personally.

I never made this thread. But the OP sure says Duquette is the worst GM that ever lived. That is the OP's claim to fame.

He specifically said that Tampa did not have run of five or more seasons at or above .500.

He stated it as a fact.

I was showing him that he was incorrect.

Yeah. That's not the point. This thread is about what Duquette has done. Or is credited for. Some voices I hear say that Dan might have been able to do more if he were completely in charge.

Archived