Manny Machado Suspended for 4 Games

OFFNY

Yea, having to muddle through with only an 11-man pitching staff for three days is probably the difference between contender and disaster.

I mean, I know you're being facetious here, but any way you cut it, losing Ventura for a start +3 days isn't going to impact them much anyway because he's playing like butt. If it were Kershaw, and the Dodgers had to call up a replacement level starter, and option one of their bullpen guys, or play with a super short bench, it would have a pretty drastic effect.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I mean, I know you're being facetious here, but any way you cut it, losing Ventura for a start +3 days isn't going to impact them much anyway because he's playing like butt. If it were Kershaw, and the Dodgers had to call up a replacement level starter, and option one of their bullpen guys, or play with a super short bench, it would have a pretty drastic effect.

I hear you, which is why he should be suspended for a month.

That is absolutely stupid. He misses one start and that is IT. If MLB wants to cut down on the unwritten rules/fighting/machismo nonsense it has to come down on these pitchers who start the beanball wars. Otherwise they are just inviting it to continue and leaving it up to the players to charge the mound or retaliate.

He wasn't warned a head of time. They can't prove he threw at Machado on purpose. 9 games seems like they are sending him a message. Let's not forget he was also punched in the face.

Eight games for what's a 4th? 5th? 6th? offense of throwing a 100mph fastball at someone intentionally? Frankly that's a bad joke.

I think 8 and 4 is very reasonable. Ventura didn't throw at his head. This has been going on in baseball for 150 years.

Not the same at all.

I think Ventura should be suspended for like 20 games, but that's because I think he's a habitual offender and should be punished as such, not because of the impact that the suspension has due to his role on the team. The lack of impact that his suspension has is directly related to his ineffectiveness as a player, but shouldn't really have an effect on his suspension. As I pointed out, if it were a better starter, the impact of a 9 game suspension is still pretty high.

I think that, after you get past 4 games, the suspension has roughly equivalent effects for both pitchers and position players. For starting pitchers, I think it leans a little more toward "requires roster moves" while for position players, the biggest impact is having your backup play a few games.

So Ventura misses 2 games and Machado misses 4. Stupidity. One of these times a player is going to throw a fit and take them to court ala Brady.

The fact that Machado is more penalized than Ventura is a total joke

Actually, two games is a bigger punishment for Ventura than 4 is for Machado. 4/162 is 2.4 percent of the season. 2 starts out of, what, 32? is 6.25 percent of Ventura's season. So actually the punishment is about three times as worse for Ventura than it is for Machado.

So Ventura misses 2 games and Machado misses 4. Stupidity. One of these times a player is going to throw a fit and take them to court ala Brady.

The fact that Machado is more penalized than Ventura is a total joke

How does he miss two? He starts, drops his appeal. He misses one start.

Actually, two games is a bigger punishment for Ventura than 4 is for Machado. 4/162 is 2.4 percent of the season. 2 starts out of, what, 32? is 6.25 percent of Ventura's season. So actually the punishment is about three times as worse for Ventura than it is for Machado.
How does he miss two starts on 9 days. He pitches every 5. He only misses one start.

I don't see how. No matter how you cut it, Machado misses more games than Ventura.

Archived