vs. BLUE JAYS, 6/10

Sessh

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chuck Thompson used to always remark on it when a player came up to bat right after he made a good defensive play. You could feel that he really thought there was something uncanny about it.

I'm old enough to remember that, and you are absolutely correct:)

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• This kind of supports my argument. Even though people say we were a good team, I think that a lot of us don’t really think we are. Yes, Seattle has splendid pitching, but… We do too. So, instead of saying “oh my God we’re facing a fantastic pitching staff”, why aren’t we saying, “oh my God, THEY are facing a fantastic pitching staff”? And regardless of flaws in our hitting approach, we are a top offense. Seattle is pretty dreadful at the plate. That’s the imposter complex; the idea that we’re really not that good and it’s all some kind of a charade. 
    • I am one of the bigger Urias fans here.  I think he was criminally underrated the last couple of years, and I’ve resisted the calls for his head based on a few cold weeks.  But he doesn’t get forever.  
    • Yes sir Mr. Firestone, it’s never easy but what experience these young bats are gaining. Incremental growth against the best will set us up well for the playoffs if we are so lucky. Until then, pitching and defense will hopefully carry us through and maybe we run into a couple early before their arms settle down in a groove. Can’t wait to see what happens either way though my mind and presence will be at the A&M/Arkansas game again tonight following an incredible walk off win by the Ags last night. The SEC West is still in play for my boys!
    • I agree individual posters have favorite players.  In regard to Cowser specifically, I think more...experienced posters on here realize that he's young and he needs some time to get out of his slump.  But to your point, people like him and want to see him do well, too.  He's a bit of a fan favorite already. I'm not sure what your points were on the rebuild but there were discussions about the right way/wrong way to go about doing it, when exactly people felt this team was ready to contend, what prospects to call up and when.  I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone here who thinks Elias has done an overall bad job, but there have always been disagreements on roster decisions, signings, etc that might cross the line into the negative territory. I do believe I see where you're coming from on unrealistic expectations, sort of.  Expectations are through the roof this year and no one wants to see a team like the San Diego Padres of recent years who, despite being loaded with talent, are not winners.  I think there's still a lot of apprehension about knowing that this team is good after it's been bad for so long.  Almost like a knee jerk reflex. But you are correct, we should be absolutely thrilled with being here right now.  This is as promising as I can ever remember this team being.
    • Nobody mentioned it because it’s an utterly false narrative.  The team has a Pythagorean record based on runs scored and allowed of 26-15, compared to their actual record of 27-14.  That’s a minimal amount of luck.  
    • I think individual posters will have favorite players where things like that will happen.  Cowser, for instance, has been getting some of that treatment during his recent struggles. I was very positive about the state of the rebuild as it was happening.  But that became an increasingly unpopular position as it continued, despite it looking better and better as it progressed. And I think a lot of it stems from unrealistic expectations.  And that's kind of the thing I don't get.  We're the Baltimore Orioles.  We're on pace to win 100 games for the second consecutive year.  This is as good as it gets.   What in the last 40 years suggest we shouldn't be absolutely thrilled with being in this position?
    • I still don't know. If he's DFA'd, he's the kind of guy that gets claimed like, within seconds. He's useful to both bad teams because he's under control for awhile, and good teams who need a decent UTIL IF replacement. 
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now