Updates on Hunter Harvey

Norfolk orioles

Just now, glenn__davis said:

Thank you.  I was starting to wonder if that foul ball in the dugout story was just something I had misread, because I hadn't seen it reported anywhere else.

A dislocated shoulder is not a great thing for a pitcher. 

32 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Any time a guy gives up 6 runs in one start and then goes on the DL you have think maybe he was pitching hurt. The question is, will he ever be healthy?

Good point, his performance/numbers may certainly have been adversely affected.  Is he back yet, or is there an ETA on when he will be?  I haven't heard.

5 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

So when and if he gets back he will have about a month to pitch.He has not pitched since June 1st so probably be brought along slowly. Might get about 50 innings in this year if he is lucky.

If he’s healthy I’d expect an AFL trip.

• Upvote 1

It seems like a lot of us are just writing him off. Unlike Bundy, Harvey still has his premium velo and hammer curve(Bundy lost both). At the least, I think he could become a shutdown reliever. Still, let him build some innings in Bowie. This wasn't an injury caused by pitching(from what has been posted), just a freak accident. He is close to rehabbing and might get some AA innings soon. It actually wouldn't surprise me if the O's called him up in september to get some more innings under his belt out of the bullpen. It is a lost season, lets use this opportunity for development and growth.

Edited by Thato'sfan

2 minutes ago, Thato'sfan said:

It seems like a lot of us are just writing him off. Unlike Bundy, Harvey still has his premium velo and hammer curve(Bundy lost both). At the least, I think he could become a shutdown reliever. Still, let him build some innings in Bowie. This wasn't an injury caused by pitching(from what has been posted), just a freak accident. He is close to rehabbing and might get some AA innings soon. It actually wouldn't surprise me if the O's called him up in september to get some more innings under his belt out of the bullpen. It is a lost season, lets use this opportunity for development and growth.

He did before the dislocation.

1 hour ago, weams said:

The dugout accident had nothing to do with his previous health concerns. 

No it didn't. And while I admittedly didn't see the mechanics of how exactly the injury occurred, it seemingly speaks to a level of laxity and fragility in his throwing shoulder that is concerning.