2016 7th Round Pick - Preston Palmeiro - 1B - North Carolina State

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't see this posted, so some updates here.

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2016/07/orioles-working-to-sign-preston-palmeiro-as-deadline-approaches.html

Looks like we're getting close with Palmeiro, but not done yet and not a certainty. Apparently we are offering him slot value, can't go more. Also updates on Bonilla (we have longer to try to sign him) and Blohm (the high schooler from Spalding that looks like he is headed to UMD).

These are the top three of the nine total we have unsigned. Deadline for most is 5 pm today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didn't see this posted, so some updates here.

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2016/07/orioles-working-to-sign-preston-palmeiro-as-deadline-approaches.html

Looks like we're getting close with Palmeiro, but not done yet and not a certainty. Apparently we are offering him slot value, can't go more. Also updates on Bonilla (we have longer to try to sign him) and Blohm (the high schooler from Spalding that looks like he is headed to UMD).

These are the top three of the nine total we have unsigned. Deadline for most is 5 pm today.

He took his physical.

He took his physical.

Right, definitely seems to indicate it should get done. Though Steve still seemed to imply that that was a measure to grease the skids in the event they are able to come to terms at the eleventh hour.

Seems to me that the other six unsigned are:

Will Toffey, 3B (25th)

Daniel Bakst 3B (27th)

Will Dalton CF (29th)

Ryan Mauch P (32nd)

Ben Brecht P (36th)

Seth Shuman P (39th)

Each is a high schooler with the exception of Toffey, who if I recall correctly said shortly after being drafted that he was flattered but was going to return to Vandy.

Right, definitely seems to indicate it should get done. Though Steve still seemed to imply that that was a measure to grease the skids in the event they are able to come to terms at the eleventh hour.

Seems to me that the other six unsigned are:

Will Toffey, 3B (25th)

Daniel Bakst 3B (27th)

Will Dalton CF (29th)

Ryan Mauch P (32nd)

Ben Brecht P (36th)

Seth Shuman P (39th)

Each is a high schooler with the exception of Toffey, who if I recall correctly said shortly after being drafted that he was flattered but was going to return to Vandy.

$100K isn't going to get anyone with HS credentials. I can't believe any would sign for only $5K or even $10K unless it's just "fulfilling a dream" or last resort. Like this 2015 recruit from St. Bonnie's!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Klimek strikes out the side again in the ninth and the IronBirds win 8-2! Back at it at 7:05 p.m. tomorrow!</p>— Aberdeen IronBirds (@IronBirds) <a href="

">July 15, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

$100K isn't going to get anyone with HS credentials. I can't believe any would sign for only $5K or even $10K unless it's just "fulfilling a dream" or last resort. Like this 2015 recruit from St. Bonnie's!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Klimek strikes out the side again in the ninth and the IronBirds win 8-2! Back at it at 7:05 p.m. tomorrow!</p>? Aberdeen IronBirds (@IronBirds) <a href="

">July 15, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sure. Interestingly enough, we have signed only two high schoolers (Hanifee in the fourth and Myers in the sixth) from the continental U.S., in addition to the two Puerto Rican high schoolers (Torres in the fifth and Rodriguez in the twentieth). Obviously we drafted a large majority of college players, so that skews the numbers, but still interesting to see.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Now confirmed - Preston Palmeiro has agreed to terms with the Orioles. O's get their 7th round pick and Raffy's son.</p>— Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="

">July 15, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Now confirmed - Preston Palmeiro has agreed to terms with the Orioles. O's get their 7th round pick and Raffy's son.</p>— Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="
">July 15, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

http://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2016/06/10/rafael-palmeiro-orioles-drafting-son/

He signed for slot.

Archived