anyone else not sold on Sherrill as closer?

DocJJ

It'll happen, but not very often. He's a pretty good reliever, and almost any pretty good reliever can convert 80% of their save chances. Most of them are 2- or 3-run leads, starting the ninth with no one on base.

Remember, you can have a 9.00 ERA and convert most chances handed to a closer today.

Didn't see you making the point I made above. But I agree completely. Excellent post. ;)

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's knowing when there's a bubble, knowing the risk inherent in that bubble (bursting) and taking advantage of other teams' lack of awareness of that bubble.

Feel free to reduce other people's arguments if you like, Shack. But this is the point being made by those advocating shopping Sherrill. And it's a valid one.

It might be the point that you're making, but when people start talking about "flipping him for prospects", I don't believe that's the point at all.

I bet they don't work hard at "shopping him". Do you think they're gonna work hard at "shopping him"? Really?

If anybody believes it's not mindless drivel, how about this: I'll bet anybody $100 they don't "flip him for prospects at the deadline". Anybody wanna bet?

I didn't think so...

I like Sherrill. I don't think he's "hittable." I think he's "sluggable" though, if that makes any sense.

I think I understand what you mean.

Looking at isolated power (SLG - AVG), Sherril's at .149 so far in 2008, versus .140 by the Orioles staff overall.

Keep in mind we're talking about three extra base hits off the guy so far this year.

In his MLB career, Sherrill's at .113.

Right. I'm sure that's exactly why AM got him: so he could "flip him for some prospects at the deadline".

Where do people get this stuff? From trading baseball cards? If not that, where?

Are you seriously asking why a GM of a rebuilding team would obtain a middle-aged player, boost his trade value and trade him for younger players (hopefully a SS and another prospect)?

With Sherrill, it seems some people aren't happy with the fact that he's proving to be a very good closer.....they demand perfection. Not very realistic IMO.

Do you really think this is the issue people are having?

Are you not paying attention to the arguments? Do you understand that we are talking long term?

For once, I would like to see people actually dispute the arguments instead of throwing out posts like this one.

I think I understand what you mean.

Looking at isolated power (SLG - AVG), Sherril's at .149 so far in 2008, versus .140 by the Orioles staff overall.

Keep in mind we're talking about three extra base hits off the guy so far this year.

In his MLB career, Sherrill's at .113.

No - that's not really what I mean. I just don't like the declining GB:FB ratio. It hasn't come back to bite him, yet, much, but it may, increasingly.

It's not dispositive - I don't trade him because of that alone. Just another factor.

It might be the point that you're making, but when people start talking about "flipping him for prospects", I don't believe that's the point at all.

I bet they don't work hard at "shopping him". Do you think they're gonna work hard at "shopping him"? Really?

I'd be surprised if his availability for the right package is not well-communicated around the league. Yes.

I'd be surprised if his availability for the right package is not well-communicated around the league. Yes.

Right...Why wouldn't they?

If he has 20 saves or so and is having a very good year, they would be foolish not to see what they can get for him.

Now, maybe the orioles value him too high and don't move him...Maybe teams aren't willing to give up enough to justify dealing him but the fact remains that not seeing what you can get would be irresponsible of AM and I am sure he will see what is out there.

I didn't think so...

So, do you have a problem with trying to trade Sherrill or with other posters? You seem to ignore the well-thought-out for the simplistic, and ignore the argument altogether.

So, do you have a problem with trying to trade Sherrill or with other posters? You seem to ignore the well-thought-out for the simplistic, and ignore the argument altogether.

This is how he posts...He sees the words "flip him" and just assumes people have no thought behind it.

What he never gets is "flip him" is just a quick way of saying it, much like "blow it up"...You know, the phrase he used to cry about and play the semantics game with. Now, "flip him" is rshack's new obsession based on only his assumption of people mean by it and then running with it post after post.

I remember a discussion betwen him and Drungo about blowing it up and Drungo trying to make him understand what people meant and that they didn't just want to type it out everytime....Eventually it turned into the phrase being renamed..."dfhwrfeloqw4re[fgqre'gj"(or some variation of that)

Do you really think this is the issue people are having?

Are you not paying attention to the arguments? Do you understand that we are talking long term?

For once, I would like to see people actually dispute the arguments instead of throwing out posts like this one.

SG....perhaps you should pay attention to all the arguments. I was addressing the posts questioning Sherrill's ability as a closer.

You choose to recognize only the posts that discussed trading Sherrill. How suprising. :rolleyes:

SG....perhaps you should pay attention to all the arguments. I was addressing the posts questioning Sherrill's ability as a closer.

You choose to recognize only the posts that discussed trading Sherrill. How suprising. :rolleyes:

No, this is exactly what i am talking about.

There are plenty of reasons to be concerned about Sherrill being the closer on a long term basis.

And because of that, if he has a big first half, trading him when he has optimal value is a smart thing to do.

I wonder if something may be wrong physically. Last night he seemed to top out on the radar gun at 85mph. Earlier this year he was 88 to 91.

The gun last night seemed pretty accurate based off of Guthries fastball. He strikes me as the type that, if hurt, he would not tell anyone.

I have a problem with the oft-repeated blather about how "Oh, good! One of our guys who's older than 27 is doing well! This is great because it means we can flip him at the deadline". Which is what most of this comes from. And whenever anybody says anything about how it's moronic, the stock reply is "Hey, we should trade anybody for a great haul!" Which has nothing to do with why there's *always* claims that what's good about our players doing well is so we can "flip them for prospects".

I do not believe for one second that the reason AM got Sherrill is so he could "flip him at the deadline for prospects". That's silly.

ps: Somebody just called Sherrill "middle aged" ;-)

Archived