The Sting of Losing Winnable Games

OFFNY

20 minutes ago, Wavetrapper said:

Same exact question Ravens fans ask every season.  No killer instinct.  In the game’s biggest moments, they come up small.  Exactly what you saw today.  Pathetic 

This is not a Ravens board, but you know what the reason is for the constant choking. It starts at the top. You have a passive, aging HC that plays the game not to lose. This contaminates the players. Mike Tomlin knows it better than most. He even said publicly that the Ravens only plays for three quarters.

8 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

This is not a Ravens board, but you know what the reason is for the constant choking. It starts at the top. You have a passive, aging HC that plays the game not to lose. This contaminates the players. Mike Tomlin knows it better than most. He even said publicly that the Ravens only plays for three quarters.

I realize it’s not a Ravens board, but it’s hard not to notice the similarities between the teams DNA.   Watching both teams finding ways to lose games within their grasp is exasperating.  Maybe things will change at some point.  All we can do is hope I guess 

4 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Bump.

Tonight's game wasn't just "winnable" -- it would have been one of the top 2-3 wins of the season. Down 2 in the 9th and we come out single, single, walk, double to tie the game and have two of our fastest runners on 2nd and 3rd with no outs, with our 2-3-4 hitters coming up next. 

And our guys gagged. They wilted under pressure. They choked. 

Again. 

This has happened so many times this season that I believe we need to consider the real possibility that the Orioles as currently constructed lack the character, stamina, -- the heart, if you will -- to win games like this. I think these players fail so often because they expect to fail. I remember after we won it all in '83 reporters were interviewing Ken Singleton in the locker room and one of them asked if the Orioles had been lucky. "You make your own luck" he responded. Well, the 2024 Orioles are making their own bad luck over and over again.

How does that cycle of failure come to an end? I wish I knew.

As I said in the offseason, we needed one veteran, consistent hitter.  We all know the offense goes into slumps, but I think experience is what helps in these types of situations. We don't even have an experienced manager. Hopefully, the guys are learning from these experiences as last year was the first taste of the playoffs any have ever received. 

9 hours ago, Wavetrapper said:

Same exact question Ravens fans ask every season.  No killer instinct.  In the game’s biggest moments, they come up small.  Exactly what you saw today.  Pathetic 

For the O's they won game after game like this last year. For the Ravens go back to 2012 I guess. Im in South Florida at least you guys dont have to put up with the Dolphins. Now thats a team that will get on youre nerves.

So last night 2nd and third no outs, good speed on the basepaths and Mullins hits a chopper to second

Why wasn't the contact play on (or did Holliday freeze) ?

If he goes you force them to make a play (scoop, throw, and tag). If he is out at the plate you end up with 1st and 3rd with one out instead of second and third with one out. The runner at third is all that matters, so absolutely no downside to being aggressive

Don't suppose our crack media staff asked Hyde If anyone has an explanation, I'd love to hear it

2 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

So last night 2nd and third no outs, good speed on the basepaths and Mullins hits a chopper to second

Why wasn't the contact play on (or did Holliday freeze) ?

If he goes you force them to make a play (scoop, throw, and tag). If he is out at the plate you end up with 1st and 3rd with one out instead of second and third with one out. The runner at third is all that matters, so absolutely no downside to being aggressive

Don't suppose our crack media staff asked Hyde If anyone has an explanation, I'd love to hear it

It's a good point, He either froze or they were playing it like it was the 6th inning instead of bottom 9th