Lack of patience

evenparthrough9

You don't set the home run record in a month taking pitches. Do they swing at balls and drive all of us nuts? Yes. But, they are who we thought they are, which is pretty entertaining to watch and successful so far

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are you trying to say that Jones isn't an impatient hitter?

I doubt anyone would make that argument. However, he has walked 22 times this year compared to 24 in all of 2016. Of 85 qualified hitters, he ranks 60th in BB%. That may not sound good, but it beats 2015, when he was 66th of 69. So, he's moved from the bottom 5% to the bottom 30%.

I doubt anyone would make that argument. However, he has walked 22 times this year compared to 24 in all of 2016. Of 85 qualified hitters, he ranks 60th in BB%. That may not sound good, but it beats 2015, when he was 66th of 69. So, he's moved from the bottom 5% to the bottom 30%.

I think the term that should be applied is aggressive, rather than impatient. He is a great hitter. And has been an excellent Oriole.

I think the term that should be applied is aggressive, rather than impatient. He is a great hitter. And has been an excellent Oriole.

Adam is a good hitter, not a great hitter imo. I believe the reason is that he has never learned to stay off the slider in the dirt

Adam is a good hitter, not a great hitter imo. I believe the reason is that he has never learned to stay off the slider in the dirt

That's a pretty fair assessment. It all depends where you draw the line between "good" and "great," what measurements you think are important to determine that, and whether you are factoring in what position they play.

Over the last five seasons (2012-16), among CF Adam is 2nd in homers, 3rd in runs, 2nd in RBI. By those measures you could make an argument for "great." By sabermetric measures, he is 6th in fangraphs cumulative offense, 8th in wOBA, 8th in wRC+ (2000 PA minimum in that time). I'd call that "very good," but not "great."

In any event, he's been a very productive player for us, and I'm glad he busted out in June and has reverted to his usual form.

I have no dispute with that. It just seemed weird for Rick to bring up walk rate as a counter to Adam being a maddening hitter to watch.

That's a pretty fair assessment. It all depends where you draw the line between "good" and "great," what measurements you think are important to determine that, and whether you are factoring in what position they play.

Over the last five seasons (2012-16), among CF Adam is 2nd in homers, 3rd in runs, 2nd in RBI. By those measures you could make an argument for "great." By sabermetric measures, he is 6th in fangraphs cumulative offense, 8th in wOBA, 8th in wRC+ (2000 PA minimum in that time). I'd call that "very good," but not "great."

In any event, he's been a very productive player for us, and I'm glad he busted out in June and has reverted to his usual form.

I'll make my case for good old fashion great.

I'm sure a lot of players hit almost .400 on balls in the strike zone.

Adam gets himself out too often to be called great. Also, he gets too amped up in pressure situations. His post season slash line in 58 appearences is 151, 207, 208. That's the opposite of great and to ignore that is, well, inaccurate.

Adam gets himself out too often to be called great. Also, he gets too amped up in pressure situations. His post season slash line in 58 appearences is 151, 207, 208. That's the opposite of great and to ignore that is, well, inaccurate.

Uh, I have no idea what this has to do with my post.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived