Imagine if DD had never made a waiver deadline trade?

webbrick2010

If the Teams you root for win a Championship that's nice. I remember the O's, Ravens, and Maryland. But none of that changed my life. It's a diversion more than anything else. I worry much more about how my kids are doing in school and if they are making good decisions. And how my Wife is doing in her life. I guess it's a different set of priorities.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe I'm not a real fan but I have a lot more great memories that will stick with me forever about the '89 and '12 Orioles and the '99 Tech football team than I do about the '83 World Series or any of the Redskins titles. No team I've rooted for has won a national-level championship since the '91 Redskins, and I sleep quite well.

I have a lot of fond memories about the '82 Orioles also.

If the Teams you root for win a Championship that's nice. I remember the O's, Ravens, and Maryland. But none of that changed my life. It's a diversion more than anything else. I worry much more about how my kids are doing in school and if they are making good decisions. And how my Wife is doing in her life. I guess it's a different set of priorities.

I have a lot of fond memories about the '82 Orioles, also.

The 1977 Orioles also, who unexpectedly went 97-64 with one rain-out.

Then you should realize that every loss takes us further and further away from seeing them win one.

Then it's a good thing we have so few losses. Tied for fewest in the division, second fewest in the AL, just two more losses than the fewest that any team in baseball has.

I'm 26, single, no kids. You're applying your personal sensibilities to it as if it's wrong to think otherwise. We're free to emotionally invest ourselves in whatever we deem worthy provided it doesn't negatively impact other people.

That's fine with me. Just realize it's hard to win Championships. Many great players have retired without one.

I'm 26, single, no kids. You're applying your personal sensibilities to it as if it's wrong to think otherwise. We're free to emotionally invest ourselves in whatever we deem worthy provided it doesn't negatively impact other people.

Yeah, but that doesn't mean that others have to be overly sympathetic to your "plight." Hopefully, you will have some meaningful events in your life that will bring you way more happiness that an Orioles world championship will. And hopefully you will avoid tragedies that are worse than the Orioles not winning the championship.

I'm just saying you have no concept or understanding of the internal struggle that we go through every time we watch a game and the other team takes a lead. You take everything for granted. We could be the next Cubs for all you know and we have no memories to get us through a lifetime of that like people who remember 66/70/83 do. So relatively speaking, you don't care.

You keep.substituting "we" when you are only talking about yourself.

Arrieta was a failed pitcher in Baltimore. He was a 27 year old, who was not pitching well enough to even be part of the big league rotation. He had limited trade value. I don't see how any of that is DD's fault? Arrieta got numerous chances to succeed here and couldn't do it.

If you want to blame DD because he failed to hire better coaches at the major league and minor league level to properly develop Arrieta, fine. But I think that's a little petty.

Petty? DD made a judgement on Arrieta that he couldn't be developed further, i.e., he gave up on him. It was a terrible mistake. No pass from me. Jake had an option and could be sent down, DD chose to ship him off

Petty? DD made a judgement on Arrieta that he couldn't be developed further, i.e., he gave up on him. It was a terrible mistake. No pass from me. Jake had an option and could be sent down, DD chose to ship him off

So does Buck get a pass on this? To me he doesn't. He's the one who picked the major league pitching coaches, and I'm sure he had input into the decision to trade Arrieta.

Josh Hader? The guy walking almost 6 batters per nine innings in AAA? Eduardo Rodriguez of the Ubaldo-level ERA fame?

I'm not against the concept (and I was against every single one of these trades) but this rotation doesn't look much better than the one we have, with the obvious exception of Jake.

Add in the fact that DD obviously felt that Davies was on the same level as Wright and Wilson talent wise. Can't prove him wrong at this point. NL is a joke.

Plus we don't make the ALCS in 2014. Norris killed that year.

These threads are a joke. It's basically an Arrieta thread again just with a little difference. Should be just stuck with the rest of the "Arrieta" threads in the MLB section.

I think Buck, Jones, Hardy, Manny, Davis, Tillman, O'Day, Wieters, Schoop and Britton would have been capable of putting up an 82 win season.

That is... assuming none of those players were traded by some other GM in DD's place. :noidea:

I think he is a B- overall during his tenure. His deadline deals minus the Miller deal have been awful. His free agent pitching signings of Ubaldo & Gallardo? Awful. Beyond that's he's been good adding depth and turning things around. Most overestimate or underestimate him. He's blah.

I have stated, I would replace him before he does more damage to what's left of the farm system. Just my opinion.

Archived