MLB-Draft.com's latest mock: 5-6-08

Moustakas will not play SS in the majors, but likely 3B or possibly 2B.

More likely 2B if they have Gordon at 3B right? I know its still 2 years away before it is a problem, but I thought Gordo was supposed to be pretty decent at 3rd. Makings of a good INF there if they took a Beckham or Smoak or Hosmer huh?

Not at all and please don't think I meant anything negative by it.

However, there must be something about the kid for you to think of him twice - is he really good? Maybe we should hope / pray for him in R2!

I knew you were just pointing out a mistake, so it's cool, thanks. :)

Casey Kelly has a strong commitment to Tennessee as a QB AND SS, and is a major talent, but a bit of a project as a hitter. He could go late R1 to a team that thinks they can buy him away from college. High risk/high reward type.

More likely 2B if they have Gordon at 3B right? I know its still 2 years away before it is a problem, but I thought Gordo was supposed to be pretty decent at 3rd. Makings of a good INF there if they took a Beckham or Smoak or Hosmer huh?

Gordon is more than adequate at 3B, but if the Royals feel MM is better served at third, rather than 2B, Gordon is skilled enough to move to 1B.

Not a single pitcher in the top 5? Really. I wonder if this could be a reaction to statistics at this time of year that tend to favor hot hitting position prospects.

I would be floored if the Pirates took a Boras client. I see them taking a pitcher.

I think that with the tremendous helium of collegians Gordon Beckham, Justin Smoak and Buster Posey into top 5 consideration, it has forced teams at the top of the draft to feel more secure in their respective talents, whereas earlier in the season there were doubts. I understand why you would feel that way, but I truly believe that GBeck has moved into the top 5, and Smoak has shown scouts the talent they felt he has had within him all along. These are major talents that have forced their way up, and are challenging Crow and Matusz's perceived positions in the first five.

While the Pirates have been cheap, there are rumblings that the new management will make a splash and grab the best player available and show the fans that the Pirates ae a viable organization again and there will no longer be a fiasco such as Moskos over Wieters. I believe this draft will go a long way towards showing Pittsburgh fans a new direction OR a same ol'-same ol' poorly run once-proud franchise.

I think that with the tremendous helium of collegians Gordon Beckham, Justin Smoak and Buster Posey into top 5 consideration, it has forced teams at the top of the draft to feel more secure in their respective talents, whereas earlier in the season there were doubts. I understand why you would feel that way, but I truly believe that GBeck has moved into the top 5, and Smoak has shown scouts the talent they felt he has had within him all along. These are major talents that have forced their way up, and are challenging Crow and Matusz's perceived positions in the first five.

While the Pirates have been cheap, there are rumblings that the new management will make a splash and grab the best player available and show the fans that the Pirates ae a viable organization again and there will no longer be a fiasco such as Moskos over Wieters. I believe this draft will go a long way towards showing Pittsburgh fans a new direction OR a same ol'-same ol' poorly run once-proud franchise.

I agree too, but I could just as easily see them taking Smoak, or G Beckham, I think they need to make a big "sexy" pick to appease the fans (like Wieters last year) but I'm starting to think that top 5 has become even closer together talent wise over the past month.

I really think the O's need to grab a position player. Smoak is about as close to a sure middle of the order bat as it gets in the draft, and I'd much rather they take him then a pitcher. I'd rather them have Beckham, Alvarez or Posey also.

Why does the stupid draft have to a month away still?

The best part about Smoak is he's not represented by Boras. At least, not yet. ;)

I just wanted to say you have an impressive site Greg.:clap3: (and I wanted to use the clapping emoticon)

My first chance to see the new emoticon. :)

Thanks for the kind words. It's not easy trying to run it virtually alone. Rhall has a blog and chats with me to discuss ideas, but the site is difficult to handle by myself. I do need assistance, mainly providing updated stats and such. :)

I'd take Alvarez or T. Beckham over either of the pitchers, but I don't think Smoak or Hosmer would be off my board before them. I really won't complain about any of the guys available at #4 though. If we end up with any of Alvarez, T. Beckham, Crow, Matusz, Smoak, or Hosmer I'll be thrilled.

I really think the O's need to grab a position player. Smoak is about as close to a sure middle of the order bat as it gets in the draft, and I'd much rather they take him then a pitcher. I'd rather them have Beckham, Alvarez or Posey also.

Why does the stupid draft have to a month away still?

AGREE! nO PITCHERS, (please) Add Hosmer to this list also.

Archived