Stark on DD

Rene88

For the money we're paying Jimenez and Gallardo we could have just signed a top starter. Those two cost $22M this year ($24M next), two 1st round picks, for 31 starts, of which most were awful. We have enough budget to win but you have to spend it the right way. DD gets his value here and there but has made some very costly, and obvious, mistakes.

Not only does a top free agent pitcher cost 20 plus million a year, the contract is going to have to be for at least six years. Big difference from the two years that Gallardo got.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not only does a top free agent pitcher cost 20 plus million a year, the contract is going to have to be for at least six years. Big difference from the two years that Gallardo got.

Jimenez got four. And I'd go six years on a good starter. We gave 7 years to Davis and that already looks terrible.

For the money we're paying Jimenez and Gallardo we could have just signed a top starter. Those two cost $22M this year ($24M next), two 1st round picks, for 31 starts, of which most were awful. We have enough budget to win but you have to spend it the right way. DD gets his value here and there but has made some very costly, and obvious, mistakes.

Yes he has. The owner giving Davis 161 million. Just think if he had used that on

improving the team instead of wasting it on Chris. So yes DD gets most of the

blame and some of it deserved. Main problem is the owner. IMO

Jimenez got four. And I'd go six years on a good starter. We gave 7 years to Davis and that already looks terrible.

Orioles will never go more then 4 years on a pitcher with PA being owner. Might do it for Tilly and that's a long shot.

Yes he has. The owner giving Davis 161 million. Just think if he had used that on

Davis doesn't improve the team? What SP should we have spent that money on?

That's 17m a year. A top end starter is over 20m a year. Doesn't matter how you cut it.. Orioles could not afford a TOR guy in the off season.

That's 17m a year. A top end starter is over 20m a year. Doesn't matter how you cut it.. Orioles could not afford a TOR guy in the off season.

Price is 30 million a year for 7 years plus an opt out after 3. I wouldn't have signed Davis but that Price deal is a very bad contract. Most deals for top end free agents end up being very bad deals for the team.

Great post as usual. Thanks for your keen insights.
I thought you might get it without elaboration. As usual I overestimated you. The Owner has often expressed the opinion that SP shouldn't be paid as much as position players because they don't play everyday. He will never give a SP more than 4 years or anything close to 20 M.

People also said Angelos would never do 4 years for a starter and they signed Ubaldo...

Regardless, more of a reason to grow the arms and not put restrictions on cutters or crap like that. Or get rid of depth (Gonzo). All signs point to a terrible development program for starters. That's how you improve the team the most going forward. Improve the damn system. I'm not convinced it's changed much in the last 4-5 years.

Archived