Stark on DD

Rene88

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Duquette has done his best work on pitching when he wasn't aiming high, but instead looking for value somewhere. So acquisitions like Chen (who was a massive bargain), Miguel Gonzalez, Vance Worley, Brad Brach, etc. Duquette does have his strengths and I'm hoping he can find a decent starting pitcher in the next week.

Don't forget Bud Norris and Scott Feldman. Value!

I agree with you, but I don't think "Duquette" type guys are going to put us over the top.

I don't think these are DD type guys. See Martinez Pedro. He does what he can within the budget.

Yeah, people keep blaming Duquette but ultimately hes pretty restrictef right now with Angelos. You saw that Upton deal but we passed because we couldnt take on the extra 3.5m. DD can only do so much here guys...

I think your going to see the Orioles interested in alot of pitchers. Alot of smoke in the end imo.

I think it is possible we end up with two pitchers like a Miley and Hellickson. Just depends if teams bend at the last minute.

Looking for value is fine if you need a 4th or 5th starter or a little bullpen help. But when you have no trustworthy 2, 3, 4, or 5 you just may need to aim a bit higher.

Then again, the offseason- the last several offseasons- was the time to address this, and DD failed to do so.

Rumor around town is that Angelos himself shot the deal down himself

Yeah, very possible...hard to grade a gm when hes restricted on what hes allowed to do. Has to take options that make sense budget wise.

The waiver deadline starts Monday, August 1St. If the Orioles happen to be in third place they can block/pick up waived players before Toronto or Boston just by making a claim. Some of the waived players will be salary dumps by their parent clubs hoping that some one claims them.

Looking for value is fine if you need a 4th or 5th starter or a little bullpen help. But when you have no trustworthy 2, 3, 4, or 5 you just may need to aim a bit higher.

Then again, the offseason- the last several offseasons- was the time to address this, and DD failed to do so.

How do you propose we get that if we cant go and pay for a high priced guy because your restricted on cap and you have no farm to acquire onr?

Its easier said then done. Gotta pay 20-30m a year for a high end atarter. We arent doing that.

Archived