Wade Miley... and Miranda to start on Thursday

webbrick2010

The Orioles don't have the best record regarding pitching development.

Miranda was nowhere close to getting a start with the Orioles, despite the Orioles having a weak rotation.

The Mariners - who are still in the race despite other comments - are giving Miranda a start. Did they see something in Miranda that the Orioles didn't? If Miranda pitches similarly to Miley down the stretch, then this turned out to be a pretty terrible trade.

You don't find that to be interesting, that's fine. I think it's worth following, which is also fine.

You think the Mariners can develop a pitcher in 3 days? And Bundy and Gausman seem to be developing fine. And the Orioles have the best record in the American League. Why don't you just enjoy that instead of worrying if some borderline prospect suceeds pitching for another team. If Miranda pitches as well as Miley and they both pitch well how is it a terrible trade?

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not sure what numbers you are using

Miley has an 81 ERA+.... I think that's pretty bad righ

Tyler Wilson has an 89 ERA+

Miley will go deeper into games

I hope Miranda sucks and worst case the trade is a just a waste of money

Best case Miley actually gets his ERA+ back near 100 next year and helps out the staff

I am looking at Baseball Reference WAR. Why do you want Miranda to suck? How does that effect you one way or another. If Miley pitches better than Jiminez or Wright were pitching you have a win. As these are guys who a lot of time couldn't make it to the fourth inning if Miley pitches through 6th inning on most starts and doesn't give up 6 runs that is better than those guys were doing.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">O's Insider blog: Five stats that stand out for new Orioles pitcher Wade Miley: Orioles left-hander ... <a href="https://t.co/zzDgPdbdGQ">https://t.co/zzDgPdbdGQ</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a></p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="

">August 4, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I'm looking forward to his start and how he handles the Texas lineup, which is formidable.

You think the Mariners can develop a pitcher in 3 days? And Bundy and Gausman seem to be developing fine. And the Orioles have the best record in the American League. Why don't you just enjoy that instead of worrying if some borderline prospect suceeds pitching for another team. If Miranda pitches as well as Miley and they both pitch well how is it a terrible trade?

No I don't think they can develop him in 3 days. But perhaps they spotted something in him that the Orioles missed.

I am not at all worried about Miranda being good. In fact I hope he does well as long as he's not against us.

If Miranda and Miley both pitch well, it's a terrible trade for the Orioles because Miranda is much cheaper and under team control for longer, which is very valuable. If Miley pitches well I won't very much care because the Orioles will be winning.

Ultimately you are misinterpreting what I am saying in your rush to make your own points. In just about any trade situation I think it's interesting to follow both sides. I'm not "worried" about it. It is of interest to me. It isn't to you. Both opinions are valid.

I find this interesting

If Miranda is really ready to start at the ML level, like Seattle thinks

then why didn't the O's just start him?

Buck/Dan really like their veterans with track records. It'll be interesting to see what we get out of Miley

Hopefully the O's win.

Miley's at 5.8 IP per start this season - let's not pretend he's Old Hoss Radbourn tossing a a string of complete games. I'm not at all persuaded that I can't piece together 33 starts of roughly 5.8IP per star from multiple starters over a season and pay a lot less than 9 million we're sinking into Wade Miley next year and be a decent bet to outperform what he's likely to give you in terms of quality.

Old Hoss Radbourn was my user name on a baseball forum i used to visit some years ago.

Miley has a 3.80 ERA over his last 8 starts. He went 7 innings twice, 6 or more 5 times (including the 7 inning outings) and only failed to go 5 once. If he just pitches to about his career 4.07 ERA, he'll be well worth the investment. If he can regain the form he had a few years ago in Arizona, he'll be a steal. He had a really good start against Toronto recently too. So I'm willing to wait and see how it works out before passing judgement.

Reading some comments in this thread and also in the Pearce thread have confirmed my belief that there will always be a percentage of fans that are unhappy with any move that is made. Both trades made sense to DD and he pulled the trigger on them. I happen to think he used good judgment, but clearly there is not going to be 100% agreement among all fans. I suspect these two trades come closer to that mythical 100% approval rating than most trades, though.

Well if people on the board say it it must be true, right? ;)

This is the same Brilliant GM that thought that Mark Trumbo was expendable.

Also, I was the Miranda fan here. And he is not better than what Miley has been.

Reading some comments in this thread and also in the Pearce thread have confirmed my belief that there will always be a percentage of fans that are unhappy with any move that is made. Both trades made sense to DD and he pulled the trigger on them. I happen to think he used good judgment, but clearly there is not going to be 100% agreement among all fans. I suspect these two trades come closer to that mythical 100% approval rating than most trades, though.

I can't prove it, but I SUSPECT that the people who are saying we shouldn't have traded Miranda, that he could do just the well as Miley for a fraction of the cost, would be saying the same thing about David Hess if we had traded HIM for Miley instead of MIranda.

And they wouldn't be suggesting we put Miranda in the rotation if we still had him.

We went into the trade deadline hoping to keep a handful of prospects in the system and DD did just that. He traded some marginal talent to essentially take on some unwanted salaries from other teams...this was really the only option the O's had from what I can see. Hopefully Miley will pitch better than the 3 other starters he is replacing this year, and hopefully he helps bolster the rotation next year as well.

No I don't think they can develop him in 3 days. But perhaps they spotted something in him that the Orioles missed.

I am not at all worried about Miranda being good. In fact I hope he does well as long as he's not against us.

If Miranda and Miley both pitch well, it's a terrible trade for the Orioles because Miranda is much cheaper and under team control for longer, which is very valuable. If Miley pitches well I won't very much care because the Orioles will be winning.

Ultimately you are misinterpreting what I am saying in your rush to make your own points. In just about any trade situation I think it's interesting to follow both sides. I'm not "worried" about it. It is of interest to me. It isn't to you. Both opinions are valid.

Yeah, I'm surprised the O's were willing to pick up Miley's contract. Hopefully, he'll show why I shouldn't be skeptical about their interest in him. Right now, I'm skeptical that he'll be significantly better than Miranda.

Yeah, I'm surprised the O's were willing to pick up Miley's contract. Hopefully, he'll show why I shouldn't be skeptical about their interest in him. Right now, I'm skeptical that he'll be significantly better than Miranda.

The Mariners and their opponents are averaging 4.51 runs/game. The Tides and theirs 3.70, so Miranda was allowing more runs than an average AAA Tides pitcher or their opponent. So before even taking into account the difference between the AL and the IL you'd have to increase Miranda's ERA to about 4.80 just to account for the difference in run context. Miley's ERA in that higher run context, against actual major leaguers, is 4.98 with a career mark of 4.07.

The Mariners and their opponents are averaging 4.51 runs/game. The Tides and theirs 3.70, so Miranda was allowing more runs than an average AAA Tides pitcher or their opponent. So before even taking into account the difference between the AL and the IL you'd have to increase Miranda's ERA to about 4.80 just to account for the difference in run context. Miley's ERA in that higher run context, against actual major leaguers, is 4.98 with a career mark of 4.07.

Miley is going from a pitcher's park over to a hitter's park with a hitter's league also.

I'm not saying in any way that Miranda's good. I'm saying I need to see why Miley and his contract were worth acquiring.

Archived