Wade Miley... and Miranda to start on Thursday

webbrick2010

Well if people on the board say it it must be true, right? ;)

Sure - that's why I think it's interesting that Seattle is starting him so quickly. I think clearly they seem to think he's better than the Orioles did. Or, maybe they're just in a bind for a starter and need innings. But I think the fact that he was really nowhere close to getting a start with the Orioles - despite our obvious rotation issues - is what makes it interesting. Especially with what seems to be a troubling trend of pitchers getting better once they leave here.

I'm not saying Seattle is right. Just that it bears watching.

Why does it bear watching? He is gone and isn't coming back. Miley is here. He is the one who bears watching.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's not really about Miranda - it's because Miley is bad and costs money - about a 9m commitment next year. Miley's 4.98 and 1.35 WHIP are almost identical to what we got so far this year from Tyler Wilson. Except Tyler Wilson costs 500k. Miley is going to be a 4.75ish ERA, 1.35ish WHIP starter in the AL East - maybe slightly better, maybe slightly worse - and you'd don't have to pay 9m for that. You can get it for 500k out of your minor league system in a lot of cases. You can get for a couple million in the offseason if you choose wisely off the scrap heap. Maybe the first guy or two out of the minors, or the KBO, or the Mexican league don't quite match that performance - great you have the money to try 16 more before you spend what you will on Miley.

In Miley, Ubaldo, and Gallardo we've got 33ish million tied up next year in guys we could replace for 5 million today easy if we were even half sensible about it.

Beyond next year - what specifically agitates is we have a chance to get to the World Series. We could use a rotation upgrade and we got the greenlight obviously to add salary. What we settled for is a guy who is a coin flip to be any better than what we could pull out of the minors or sign off the waiver wire - heck he's a coin flip to be any better than Miranda himself.

I hope for our sake Miley does well - I'll be rooting for him - but we have a chance to do something here and it angers me that this is the move we made.

Thank you for so eloquently stating my feelings. We continue to spend a large amount of money on replacement level starters, who may be just a smidge better than what we've already got in system. I too hope Miley has a good couple months

It bears watching because he is pitching against the Red Sox and the M's are going for the sweep

Watching the highlights it doesn't appear to me that the Mariners have given up on making the playoffs

That's why I find it interesting that they are turning to Miranda for a start, they asked for him in the trade and must like something about him

It bears watching because he is pitching against the Red Sox and the M's are going for the sweep

Watching the highlights it doesn't appear to me that the Mariners have given up on making the playoffs

That's why I find it interesting that they are turning to Miranda for a start, they asked for him in the trade and must like something about him

Oh good in that case I hope he pitches a shut-out. Well of course they liked something about the guy the asked about in a trade. I am sure they asked for a bunch of other players first as that is why it took a while for the trade to go through.

You aren't even a little curious to see how Miranda fares? I certainly am.

Why would I care? He isn't on the team and I never heard of him before the trade. If he pitches well does that make you feel better about the Orioles? That they acquired a good player or does it make you feel bad because they traded him away?

Good lord...are qe seriously worried we gave up too much in Ariel freaking Miranda, the 27 year old minor leaguer?

We got a proven solid back end innings eater with control on a good deal compared to market that is left handed. Just stop. We gave up a non prospect with very little upside.

Absolutely agree. Wiley has more 6+ innings starts this year than any pitcher on our staff, including Chris Tillman. Starting Miranda for a noncontender is for them to see what they have and they will find he is not a major league starter.

Thank you for so eloquently stating my feelings. We continue to spend a large amount of money on replacement level starters, who may be just a smidge better than what we've already got in system. I too hope Miley has a good couple months

Miley has 8.7 career WAR , I don't see how that is replacement level. He is above replacement level this year too. Jiminez, Wright, and Wilson are all below replacement level this season. So even if Miley is just replacement level that is improvement over the internal alternatives.

We would all love it if the Mariners were going for the sweep. They are not. Hope the M's win.

I would have started Miranda in NY after the break. The trade was a good one.

Miley's at 5.8 IP per start this season - let's not pretend he's Old Hoss Radbourn tossing a a string of complete games. I'm not at all persuaded that I can't piece together 33 starts of roughly 5.8IP per star from multiple starters over a season and pay a lot less than 9 million we're sinking into Wade Miley next year and be a decent bet to outperform what he's likely to give you in terms of quality.

I think these are legit concerns. I like the allusion to Old Hoss Radbourn, too! I was pretty much "meh" on this trade, and was mildly in favor because at a minimum this gives us more flexibility, but it could turn out to be a significant waste of money if Miley can't cut it at OPACY. So we'll see. I'm rooting for Miley to succeed.

Miley has 8.7 career WAR , I don't see how that is replacement level. He is above replacement level this year too. Jiminez, Wright, and Wilson are all below replacement level this season. So even if Miley is just replacement level that is improvement over the internal alternatives.

Not sure what numbers you are using

Miley has an 81 ERA+.... I think that's pretty bad righ

Tyler Wilson has an 89 ERA+

Miley will go deeper into games

I hope Miranda sucks and worst case the trade is a just a waste of money

Best case Miley actually gets his ERA+ back near 100 next year and helps out the staff

Why does it bear watching? He is gone and isn't coming back. Miley is here. He is the one who bears watching.

The Orioles don't have the best record regarding pitching development.

Miranda was nowhere close to getting a start with the Orioles, despite the Orioles having a weak rotation.

The Mariners - who are still in the race despite other comments - are giving Miranda a start. Did they see something in Miranda that the Orioles didn't? If Miranda pitches similarly to Miley down the stretch, then this turned out to be a pretty terrible trade.

You don't find that to be interesting, that's fine. I think it's worth following, which is also fine.

I think these are legit concerns. I like the allusion to Old Hoss Radbourn, too! I was pretty much "meh" on this trade, and was mildly in favor because at a minimum this gives us more flexibility, but it could turn out to be a significant waste of money if Miley can't cut it at OPACY. So we'll see. I'm rooting for Miley to succeed.

Probably not as big a waste as say re-signing Chen would have been. Who this year, of course, has a 4.99 ERA, 80 ERA+, and has gone 6+ innings in only 11/19 starts in the NL. At 2 years 28 million and then with a player option for 52 million for the next three years...hmm...Miley might pretty soon seem to be a bargain if he is anywhere even close to a Chen production.

Miley's at 5.8 IP per start this season - let's not pretend he's Old Hoss Radbourn tossing a a string of complete games. I'm not at all persuaded that I can't piece together 33 starts of roughly 5.8IP per star from multiple starters over a season and pay a lot less than 9 million we're sinking into Wade Miley next year and be a decent bet to outperform what he's likely to give you in terms of quality.
You are taking up 3 rosters spots to do what you can get from one. Miley has 8 QS this season so far. That would be third behind Gausman. Miley's 5.89 IP/GS would be second to Tillman on the O's.

Get to know Wade Miley:

It’s important for the catchers to learn Miley’s sequences and patterns.

“He’s a really quick-tempo guy,” Showalter said. “He’s got some (Mark) Buehrle in him, the way he goes about things, which is always good in August with the heat. But just looking for things he likes to go to. Look at the shake offs, a lot of things to get a feel for so you can cut to the chase.”

No word yet on whether Joseph or Matt Wieters will catch Miley tonight. Joseph was at his locker yesterday afternoon. Wieters appeared for about 10 seconds, grabbed something from his locker and left before I could talk to him. So, here’s Joseph on the process of getting comfortable with Miley, which shouldn’t be mistaken for a lineup prediction:

“I think there’s a blueprint there, but sometimes things seem one way and they’re really not, if that makes any sense,” Joseph said. “A lot of it will be done by just talking to him and some video work, obviously, just going back and seeing if he’s faced these guys. The majority of it will just be talking.

“From a catcher’s standpoint, you want to know the guy’s best or favorite out pitch, the pitch he’s most comfortable throwing behind in the count 2-0, 3-1. An off-speed pitch maybe. Where he misses. What I like to know is if you get two strikes on a guy, do you normally bounce the slider? Very basic things just to make sure you’re prepared to present those pitches the best you can. But the game plan will be heavily dictated on their strengths and their weaknesses versus his strengths and his weaknesses.”

So much depends on the opponent, not just the pitcher.

“There’s a period there where you just want to learn the guy, because you don’t always want to go straight to their weaknesses because sometimes that may not be the best pitch,” Joseph said. “Sometimes you want to go mano y mano. For example, let’s say whoever we’re playing does really well with changeups. Well, does that mean we’re not going to throw (Dylan) Bundy’s changeup? Not necessarily. Whose changeup do they hit and in what location. So, those are things you feel out.

“It takes more in-game experience than just sitting down and talking. You can talk all you want, but you really find out a lot in-game. So, there’s a level of communication and knowledge you can attain, but in my opinion, most of the work will be done during the game. Feeling him out in certain situations. And then you go from there.

“And of course, the catcher who’s not catching is paying close attention and watching and you can learn a lot just by watching, as well.”

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2016/08/the-best-of-britton-and-bonding-with-miley.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Archived