Wade Miley... and Miranda to start on Thursday

webbrick2010

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Going into 2017 with 35 million committed to Gallardo, Ubaldo, and Miley sure makes fielding a competitive team more difficult

I don't know if the payroll is our biggest limitation in this regard anymore. DD was allowed to increase payroll in a big way. I'm more concerned that we have 3 mediocre (to be charitable) pitchers who cannot be optioned. And at least one of them would be occupying a long relief spot, which under the Buck/DD era, the O's have used to rotate fresh arms from the minors.

Going into 2017 with 35 million committed to Gallardo, Ubaldo, and Miley sure makes fielding a competitive team more difficult

No it really doesn't.

Dylan Bundy full season, Gausman progression, Tillman....having Gallardo and Miley as back end starters makes us just as if not more competitive than we are now. And exactly how much do you think even mediocre starters will cost these days? Gallardo and Miley will be at or below the going rate for veteran starters and they could have been Ian Kennedy and Mat Latos...lol.

DDs only true mistake was not letting Miggy take a few starts in the minors at the opening of the season and just taking that cost hit. They bet on Tyler and Mike Wright and while it seemed a reasonable play, it didn't pan out and then Gallardo went down and Ubaldo imploded.

Despite ALL of that, here we sit....pretty daggone competitive.

I would not be surprised if they don't ask Ubaldo to do some Instructional work in the offseason or bye bye.

Every year what looks expensive for starters turns out to be cheaper than you think because of the insane price escalation every year for pitching.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It gives us a significant handicap to overcome - no question. Dan has done a very good job on the whole - I've been thrilled with this 5 year run of competitive baseball - but we need an Assistant GM who just handles starting pitching transactions. Like how Offensive minded NFL coaches will often bring in a Defensive guru and completely let him run that side of the ball - we need to innovate some structure where we have a Starting Pitcher only AGM and any transaction involving a SP goes through him or her somehow. This is obviously a pipe dream - but let me daydream about this please.

It is only one start, but DD's coffee can't be tasting too good this morning. If he puts up comparable numbers to Miley over the final two months, DD will look like a real genius. By the way how many of our starters have thrown 6 innings and only 80 pitches this year?

It is only one start. Remember Mike Wright's first start in the major leagues? This is a topic to revisit in September. It'll be interesting to see how it develops but I'm not going to place too much weight on one game.

It is only one start. Remember Mike Wright's first start in the major leagues? This is a topic to revisit in September. It'll be interesting to see how it develops but I'm not going to place too much weight on one game.

I like Miranda and have for a while. Impressive that he kept the Mighty Red Stockings to only two runs. And he did not get hit on the leg or cause two of his fielders to misplay balls that cost his team runs.

Exactly...first time rookie starts are very often much better than when the book gets around on them. We have had a number of these kinds of pitchers start for us in the past and we certainly have made many callup minor leaguers look great in their first start. I will be very surprised if he gets this result too many times.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"Joseph was at his locker yesterday afternoon. Wieters appeared for about 10 seconds, grabbed something from his locker and left before I could talk to him. So, here?s Joseph on the process of getting comfortable with Miley, which shouldn?t be mistaken for a lineup prediction:

?I think there?s a blueprint there, but sometimes things seem one way and they?re really not, if that makes any sense,? Joseph said. ?A lot of it will be done by just talking to him and some video work, obviously, just going back and seeing if he?s faced these guys. The majority of it will just be talking.

?From a catcher?s standpoint, you want to know the guy?s best or favorite out pitch, the pitch he?s most comfortable throwing behind in the count 2-0, 3-1. An off-speed pitch maybe. Where he misses. What I like to know is if you get two strikes on a guy, do you normally bounce the slider? Very basic things just to make sure you?re prepared to present those pitches the best you can. But the game plan will be heavily dictated on their strengths and their weaknesses versus his strengths and his weaknesses.?

So much depends on the opponent, not just the pitcher.

?There?s a period there where you just want to learn the guy, because you don?t always want to go straight to their weaknesses because sometimes that may not be the best pitch,? Joseph said. ?Sometimes you want to go mano y mano. For example, let?s say whoever we?re playing does really well with changeups. Well, does that mean we?re not going to throw (Dylan) Bundy?s changeup? Not necessarily. Whose changeup do they hit and in what location. So, those are things you feel out.

?It takes more in-game experience than just sitting down and talking. You can talk all you want, but you really find out a lot in-game. So, there?s a level of communication and knowledge you can attain, but in my opinion, most of the work will be done during the game. Feeling him out in certain situations. And then you go from there.

?And of course, the catcher who?s not catching is paying close attention and watching and you can learn a lot just by watching, as well.?

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2016/08/the-best-of-britton-and-bonding-with-miley.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

This just says so much about Caleb Joseph and why pitchers throw better to him than Wieters. Ashamed Buck choose to start Wieters for the 9th time out of 10 games.

Yep. The only time I ever saw Miranda pitch was with the Orioles in his relief appearance, but the numbers say he will have a hard time continuing the success he had last night. I didn't know any scouts who thought much of Miranda but they did think he had a chance to be a 5th starter.

80 pitches in six innings against the Red Sox is a great, but he's been very inconsistent over his minor league career so it will bear watching how he does the rest of the year. If he does pitch well down the stretch, DD and his scouts will have some 'splaining to do. Not for trading him, but for not giving him a chance to start here a few times before making an evaluation especially when Buck had to ran out Ubaldo, Wright, and Wilson for 43 starts this season.

This just says so much about Caleb Joseph and why pitchers throw better to him than Wieters. Ashamed Buck choose to start Wieters for the 9th time out of 10 games.

As you know, I agree that Wieters shouldn't start 9 times in 10 games, considering that he's been dragging offensively and arguably defensively. However, there's not much evidence that the pitchers throw better to Joseph than Wieters. Joseph has a 4.53 CERA and the team is 15-15 in his starts; Wieters has a 3.91 ERA and the team is 41-28 in his starts. Those statistics have a lot of noise, but there certainly aren't any better stats I know of that suggest the pitchers are throwing better to Joseph this year.

As you know, I agree that Wieters shouldn't start 9 times in 10 games, considering that he's been dragging offensively and arguably defensively. However, there's not much evidence that the pitchers throw better to Joseph than Wieters. Joseph has a 4.53 CERA and the team is 15-15 in his starts; Wieters has a 3.91 ERA and the team is 41-28 in his starts. Those statistics have a lot of noise, but there certainly aren't any better stats I know of that suggest the pitchers are throwing better to Joseph this year.

Joseph hasn't had enough starts with pitchers other than Ubaldo to gauge anything, but from what I recall the pitchers consistently outperformed with CJ in 2014 and 2015 when he was playing a lot more. Unfortunately I don't remember where those numbers came from.

As with B Roberts back in 2013. Buck is going to start the guys, he feels gives him the best chance to win that game.

We don't always agree, but, its not like this team is out of control and in last place. So the use of a word like ashamed, it a bit harsh, isn't it?

I guess Bundy would have had two perfect games with Joseph catching. Also Tillman pitches better when Wieters catches. Hundley was his personal catcher in the second half that one year.

Sat about 11 rows deep over the O's dugout tonight. Miley has a nice delivery and seems to throw hard (91-92 with the fastball). It looked like he threw a few bad breaking balls, like the one Choo hit over his head.

Overall, I thought he looked good. It looked like Davis botched that one grounder at first base. Can someone fill me in? Did the runner get in his way?

Runner definitely got in his way but he still should have fielded it.

Archived