at. WHITE SOX, 8/06

Sessh

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He should have brought in Givens as soon as the leadoff man Morneau got on base. Tillman was at 106 pitches and the next two batters were right-handed hitters. It was an obvious move that Buck screwed up.

I agree he should have taken him out after the first hit.

They had Rule 5 pitchers (T.J. McFarland and Jason Garcia) on their 25-man roster for most of the season when they made the playoffs in 2012 and 2014. How is this any different?

They got better results from the rotation and could afford it. This year they cant.

I think that it is possible that it was barely fair, but there WAS NOT irrefutable evidence to overturn it.

You have to be absolutely sure if you overturn the call, and there is no way that you could tell from any of those replays whether or not the thumb of Machado's glove was in fair or foul territory when the ball touched it.

This. The play last night that was not overturned was way more definitive, in my opinion. They need to clarify the standard of proof, because if they can overturn this one they should have overturned the one last night.

They aren't going to.

I've seen the same type of abuse of the rules (and yes, in a sporting sense I consider it to be abuse) in football. In football, they overturn calls when they don't have irrefutable evidence, and they let calls stand when it is clear that it ought to be overturned.

I see the same pattern in baseball, and I see no reason why they would considering changing the status quo after doing it the way that they have been doing it for the last several years.

Archived