Hats off to AJ -- Once again a model of consistency

FanSince88

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You really believe he prefers to settle?

He definitely does things his way. Whether that is settling, being stubborn or just being incapable of playing any other way, it can be frustrating at times and rewarding at others.

He plays in and gets beat deep too often defensively and flails at the first pitch a lot more than he should (yes I know his batting average on first pitches in higher than his regular BA) but he is one of our best players despite his flaws.

Whether he is capable of being more than just a good player is definitely debatable. It seems the tools are there for greatness but maybe not the head.

He definitely does things his way. Whether that is settling, being stubborn or just being incapable of playing any other way, it can be frustrating at times and rewarding at others.

He plays in and gets beat deep too often defensively and flails at the first pitch a lot more than he should (yes I know his batting average on first pitches in higher than his regular BA) but he is one of our best players despite his flaws.

Whether he is capable of being more than just a good player is definitely debatable. It seems the tools are there for greatness but maybe not the head.

I don't understand this kind of sentiment. Jones is a student of the game. It couldn't be further from the truth to suggest that he doesn't care enough or isn't smart enough to improve (I don't know if that's what you were implying).

Jones has his weaknesses as a player, for sure. Just as almost all players do. But nobody ever suggested that the reason Nick Markakis didn't hit more home runs is because he didn't have "the head" for it.

I don't understand this kind of sentiment. Jones is a student of the game. It couldn't be further from the truth to suggest that he doesn't care enough or isn't smart enough to improve (I don't know if that's what you were implying).

Jones has his weaknesses as a player, for sure. Just as almost all players do. But nobody ever suggested that the reason Nick Markakis didn't hit more home runs is because he didn't have "the head" for it.

I did not know how to respond to some of those horribly unaware or untruthful comments about Adam. Thankfully you did.

Wow, if this thread is representative of our fanbase... we don't deserve AJ.

He's not a perfect player, but very few teams have received more production for the money as the O's have with AJ in the time he's been here. He's not perfect... but he plays his heart out and hasn't had a true down year.

I don't think markakis had anywhere near the tools and gifts Adam has.

I think I worded my criticism poorly, I'm in no way shape or form saying Adam Ian a very good player.

I was simply saying he has the tools to be a top 25 maybe top 50 player but his approach keeps him from being that top tier played we all wish he was.

We can all draw our own conclusions as to the why.

Hers my criticism of AJ. When is the last time he's hit a slider or curveball in the dirt hard? NEVER. But he swings at that pitch 5 times a game at least. Laying off those pitches puts you in hitters counts where the pitcher has to come to you with better pitches to hit and thus more production. He could easily be a .300 hitter but would rather by .260-.270.

Hers my criticism of AJ. When is the last time he's hit a slider or curveball in the dirt hard? NEVER. But he swings at that pitch 5 times a game at least. Laying off those pitches puts you in hitters counts where the pitcher has to come to you with better pitches to hit and thus more production. He could easily be a .300 hitter but would rather by .260-.270.

He would rather?

Archived