vs. GIANTS, 8/13

OFFNY

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Well called it earlier in the season when I said he probably would probably be back on the IL by June. I believe my words when he came back were, "I give him about a month or 2."
    • Okay not entirely unprecedented considering Daniel Hudson, but it’s a very short list. 
    • If Prieto can continue with the power surge, he could be quite serviceable.  He just turned 25 so he's approaching peak.  I imagine the recent power is an SSS, but if it's here to stay he becomes a pretty interesting player. 
    • If I am evaluating what is the most important skills of a backup catcher  it goes something like this. 1.  Call a good game 2.  Be good defensively 3.  Be able to control the running game 4.  Hit McCann is above average at the first 3 IMO.    Most backup catchers don't hit much.  I think the OH is a little too hard on McCann.   Remember the O's are paying him 4M this year.   They are not likely to DFA him.
    • I’m aware there are pitchers who have had the procedure twice, but needing another one that soon after coming back from the first one would be rather unprecedented. 
    • Unfortunately, I am. 
    • Something I find interesting is that Santander and Mullins seem to be having very similar issues. Per StatCast, Santander ranks #2 in all of baseball with a 17.2% popup rate, while Mullins checks in at #6 with a 14.4% rate. Relatedly, Anthony is also #2 with a 42.5% “under” rate, with Cedric landing #5 there at 38.5%. This checks out with my impressions from watching the games, as both players seem to be constantly popping the ball up. This has always been a major issue for both of them, as they are both among a group of guys who seem to consistently top the popups leaderboard (Daulton Varsho, Isaac Paredes, Nolan Arenado) — but it’s been worse than ever this year.    In looking at other guys who are running elevated (compared to normal) popup rates, there seems to be a fairly strong suggestion that there is some correlation with guys who would have cause to be “pressing” or trying to do too much. You see guys in huge contract years (Alex Bregman), as well as breakout stars who have struggled out of the gate (Corbin Carroll, Spencer Torkelson). Another name that stands out is 2022 Jose Ramirez, who had just signed a massive contract extension.  I don’t know how you fix that, or if you can. You can’t change the fact that both of these guys are in sight of their next (and probably only large) contract — there genuinely is a lot at stake for both of them. If Tony was to hit 40 HRs this year, his next contract might double in size compared to if he only hits 25. If Cedric was in the midst of a 2021 type season, he might be about to lock up the first contract extension of this era. That pressure is not going away. I hope they can settle in, start stringing a few hits together, and get back to being themselves — because I love both of them. It’s painful watching them try to hit 6-run HRs every time up, or do what Cedric did yesterday in trying to be the baserunning hero and instead ending up the goat. This is where Hyde has to earn his money, I think. He’s got to press the right buttons in terms of managing these guys’ mindsets. 
  • Popular Contributors