We got 2 hits

Natty

Just for the heck of it' date=' I'll guess Miley when he was with the M's even though I don't necessary remember him pitching against the O's this season. Maybe EdRod[/quote']

LOL. Wade Miley, May 17th. O's shut out 10-0. Miley with 6 innings of 2-hit ball.

Makes me dislike him even more.

It amazes me how much you overrate the abilities of the Red Sox. It's not like they're some super-team. They're on pace to win 91 games. Big whoop. They may beat us the next two days, we might win both, or we might split them. We're 6-7 against the Sox on the year, it's not like this is a mismatch.

Exactly. The Sox are good, but there are six teams in the AL that are about equally good. One could argue there are seven or eight teams... There is no standout team in the AL.

It amazes me how much you overrate the abilities of the Red Sox. It's not like they're some super-team. They're on pace to win 91 games. Big whoop. They may beat us the next two days, we might win both, or we might split them. We're 6-7 against the Sox on the year, it's not like this is a mismatch.

Well, they're scoring 5.6 R/G and allowing 4.4 RA/G. A difference of +1.2.

The O's, on the other hand, are scoring 4.8 R/G and allowing 4.6 RA/G. A difference of +0.2.

The Red Sox have an elite offense. They're better than Colorado (#1 in the NL w/ 5.3 R/G) and the Indians (#2 in the AL w/ 4.9 R/G).

Bad pitching gets destroyed by elite hitting. Miley, Drake, Worley and Duensing are evident of that.

Red Sox top 3: Porcello (3.21 ERA), Wright (3.33 ERA) and Price (3.81 ERA)

O's top 3: Gausman (3.61 ERA), Tillman (3.68 ERA) and Bundy (3.82 ERA)

Very close. The details are that the Red Sox #4 and #5 pitchers (Pomeranz, ERod) are much, much better than the O's (Ubaldo, Gallardo). Assuming Ubaldo gets his crap together, our rotation is at least competitive with theirs. I give them the edge because every 5 days they can at least get a quality start, where I think the O's might be able to eek out 3 (assuming health).

Bullpens...Red Sox 3.78 ERA, O's 3.69 ERA. If O'Day was healthy, I'd give the O's the edge. But the bullpen has been very shaky. Hopefully September can cure their woes, but Duensing is terrible, Drake has been meh at best...and Worley has fallen apart lately (5.89 ERA in his last 8 appearances).

So, no...not a super team. But a very good one with a very good outfield and an elite offense. That plays in Fenway.

Hoping the O's can snag at least 1 more out of this 2 game set. Would be ecstatic with 2 (duh).

birdwatcher55 said:

Sox better team. No question. We're 2 COFs and 1 solid starter below them in my opinion.

o

Aside from the fact that you said that the Red Sox would have the division wrapped up by May 29th, you also closed the books on the Orioles' season on September 1st:

birdwatcher55 said:

I have officially closed the books on this season. The only question I have is, do they bring Duquette back for another makeover?

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/154604-The-shame-of-the-Jays-series-was?p=4157648#post4157648

The Red Sox are the better team ........ but your assertions about it are not particularly revealing, in my rat's ass of an opinion.

o

• 8 months later...

I was at the game. The Orioles did hit a fair number of solid drives directly at people. I daresay the Orioles had better contact overall than the Twins. Dylan messed up with the leadoff walk in the 5th and got careless to Dozier, but was sharp overall. The baseball gods weren't smiling on us tonight. It's why you win those games where you're up 5-0, so games like this don't hurt you that much.

Archived