Sensible Plans (I think)

Greg Pappas

Always a pleasure Dave, thanks. I mentioned BRob for Colvin and Gallagher earlier... does this seem a fair offer or are we getting too little as someone suggested earlier? I think it's a fair offer, but perhaps it could be expanded.

Were you the GM of the Cubs, what would your priorities be this season and whom might you be looking to acquire?

Oh good lord, where to start...

Well to begin with, the Cubs' pending ownership change is apparently putting some major constraints on what kinds of deals can be made. Most folks interpret that to mean that Hendry's got the green light to add players with contracts expiring after 2007, but to get anyone with a contract that extends beyond this year, he'd have to shed a similar contract (or two) from our roster.

Of course this ownership situation is also what caused the Zambrano extension talks to break off.

Now as to the roster:

The catching situation is ugly right now. Barrett is an offensive catcher that isn't hitting, and is even worse than usual in the field. He's been really brutal of late, and in some key situations. I don't see any way out of this situation, short of finding a way to acquire Salty from the Braves.

The team's got 3 LFs (Sori, Murton, Floyd) and half of a RF (Jones). My best resolution to this situation would be to deal Murton and Jones, and platoon Floyd and DeRosa in RF, or get a guy like Jermaine Dye or Ichiro to hold down the fort in RF for the rest of 2007.

The infield is great at the corners, and passable up the middle. An upgrade at 2B or SS would be welcome. BRob would be a definite candidate, but the $$$ almost certainly rules out Tejada, for now anyway.

The starting rotation is solid on paper and has been great on the field, but a #2 guy like Bedard would obviously make it a more legit, playoff caliber group; DCab to a lesser extent.

The bullpen is in need of reinforcement -- one, maybe two. Guys like Eyre and Ohman would be strong candidates to be replaced.

BRob and Bedard would be top targets.

For BRob I could see something along the lines of Murton, Gallagher or Marshall, Fontenot or Theriot, and a salary-balancer (Jones, Izturis, or Eyre). You'd fill BRob's spot, and get a LF and a rotation starter.

For Bedard, maybe something like Murton, Gallagher or Marshall, Guzman, and a salary-balancer (Jones, Izturis, or Eyre).

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
we traded him -- he was an oriole. he went to the cubs in the corey patterson deal. you are going to trade brob for him?!?!? that is the equivalent of trading brob for patterson :eek:

Not straight up, you goofball.

Oh good lord, where to start...

Well to begin with, the Cubs' pending ownership change is apparently putting some major constraints on what kinds of deals can be made. Most folks interpret that to mean that Hendry's got the green light to add players with contracts expiring after 2007, but to get anyone with a contract that extends beyond this year, he'd have to shed a similar contract (or two) from our roster.

Of course this ownership situation is also what caused the Zambrano extension talks to break off.

Now as to the roster:

The catching situation is ugly right now. Barrett is an offensive catcher that isn't hitting, and is even worse than usual in the field. He's been really brutal of late, and in some key situations. I don't see any way out of this situation, short of finding a way to acquire Salty from the Braves.

The team's got 3 LFs (Sori, Murton, Floyd) and half of a RF (Jones). My best resolution to this situation would be to deal Murton and Jones, and platoon Floyd and DeRosa in RF, or get a guy like Jermaine Dye or Ichiro to hold down the fort in RF for the rest of 2007.

The infield is great at the corners, and passable up the middle. An upgrade at 2B or SS would be welcome. BRob would be a definite candidate, but the $$$ almost certainly rules out Tejada, for now anyway.

The starting rotation is solid on paper and has been great on the field, but a #2 guy like Bedard would obviously make it a more legit, playoff caliber group; DCab to a lesser extent.

The bullpen is in need of reinforcement -- one, maybe two. Guys like Eyre and Ohman would be strong candidates to be replaced.

BRob and Bedard would be top targets.

For BRob I could see something along the lines of Murton, Gallagher or Marshall, Fontenot or Theriot, and a salary-balancer (Jones, Izturis, or Eyre). You'd fill BRob's spot, and get a LF and a rotation starter.

For Bedard, maybe something like Murton, Gallagher or Marshall, Guzman, and a salary-balancer (Jones, Izturis, or Eyre).

Is this a joke?

The Cubs don't really excite me. I could see dealing Miggy to them but not Bedard or BRob.

The Cubs would be a great team for the O's to deal with if you want three ML-ready youngsters back.

If you want one blue-chip, elite prospect back, or maybe 2 top-100 type guys, then you should call someone else, because the Cubs can't/won't give you that.

The Cubs would be a great team for the O's to deal with if you want three ML-ready youngsters back.

If you want one blue-chip, elite prospect back, or maybe 2 top-100 type guys, then you should call someone else, because the Cubs can't/won't give you that.

Yea, 3 ML ready players ain't cutting if they aren't good enough, which that package isn't, especially since i thought i saw Guzman is going on the DL with shoulder issues.

To make him part of any real package is a joke due to his injury history and you want to balance salaries out with those garbage players for a top of the rotation starter? Murton and Gallaghr are decent but nothing to make me even consider trading Bedard for them.

Good thing i never said that then i guess, huh?

Oh you didn't?

3 way trade:

Tejada and Bradford or Walker to the White Sox

Dye to the Dodgers

Loney, Kemp, Uribe and Gonzalez to the Orioles

Looking forward to hearing you explain how the inclusion of Walker/Bradford and Uribe makes this *much much* different.

Oh you didn't?

Looking forward to hearing you explain how the inclusion of Walker/Bradford and Uribe makes this *much much* different.

I am missing how this is some amazing package..Gonzalez is very good but Williams would probably prefer tejada to him and Dye.

Loney has a sub 800 OPS this year. Kemp has good upside but doesn't walk.

Tejada to the Cubs for Izturis,Pie and Kerry Wood. Would that work out? Wood has alot of upside,Pie is a very good young player and Izturis can flash the leather and make a good double play combo with Roberts. Thoughts?

Izturis sucks.

Wood is done.

Pie is untouchable.

Tejada the Cubs can't afford right now.

Tejada to the Cubs for Izturis,Pie and Kerry Wood. Would that work out? Wood has alot of upside,Pie is a very good young player and Izturis can flash the leather and make a good double play combo with Roberts. Thoughts?

Terrible trade for the Orioles on every level.

still, if you trade a midlevel prospect, it is because you dont think he'll pan out. you dont then go and try to trade for him to get him back into the organization

Unless you were wrong about him... what are the odds of that? :P

I am missing how this is some amazing package..Gonzalez is very good but Williams would probably prefer tejada to him and Dye.

Loney has a sub 800 OPS this year. Kemp has good upside but doesn't walk.

You can try to rationalize it to your heart's content.

It's still a joke and way way more than Tejada is worth at this point.

Archived