Sensible Plans (I think)

Greg Pappas

still, if you trade a midlevel prospect, it is because you dont think he'll pan out. you dont then go and try to trade for him to get him back into the organization

It's not that unusual for a guy to be traded away, and then reacquired by an organization.

Just because a guy is dealt doesn't mean his team doesn't like him.

In Fontenot's case, his value to the O's would be much different under the circumstances where he's proven himself at AAA and reached the bigleagues, and the guy that was blocking him to begin with is gone.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trade Cabrera and someone for Adam Dunn. Sign a contract extension with him.

Sign Texeira next offseason. Gives us two 40 HR guys and a gold glove 1B.

By then Markakis will be even better. The pitching should be further along. And Wieters and Rowell will be almost ready. That gives us a decent team with 2 future studs on the way. With Erbe coming too

Trade Cabrera and someone for Adam Dunn. Sign a contract extension with him.

Sign Texeira next offseason. Gives us two 40 HR guys and a gold glove 1B.

By then Markakis will be even better. The pitching should be further along. And Wieters and Rowell will be almost ready. That gives us a decent team with 2 future studs on the way. With Erbe coming too

Say no to Adam Dunn. He has old player's skills. He is likely to age very badly.

Oh good lord, where to start...

Well to begin with, the Cubs' pending ownership change is apparently putting some major constraints on what kinds of deals can be made. Most folks interpret that to mean that Hendry's got the green light to add players with contracts expiring after 2007, but to get anyone with a contract that extends beyond this year, he'd have to shed a similar contract (or two) from our roster.

Of course this ownership situation is also what caused the Zambrano extension talks to break off.

Now as to the roster:

The catching situation is ugly right now. Barrett is an offensive catcher that isn't hitting, and is even worse than usual in the field. He's been really brutal of late, and in some key situations. I don't see any way out of this situation, short of finding a way to acquire Salty from the Braves.

The team's got 3 LFs (Sori, Murton, Floyd) and half of a RF (Jones). My best resolution to this situation would be to deal Murton and Jones, and platoon Floyd and DeRosa in RF, or get a guy like Jermaine Dye or Ichiro to hold down the fort in RF for the rest of 2007.

The infield is great at the corners, and passable up the middle. An upgrade at 2B or SS would be welcome. BRob would be a definite candidate, but the $$$ almost certainly rules out Tejada, for now anyway.

The starting rotation is solid on paper and has been great on the field, but a #2 guy like Bedard would obviously make it a more legit, playoff caliber group; DCab to a lesser extent.

The bullpen is in need of reinforcement -- one, maybe two. Guys like Eyre and Ohman would be strong candidates to be replaced.

BRob and Bedard would be top targets.

For BRob I could see something along the lines of Murton, Gallagher or Marshall, Fontenot or Theriot, and a salary-balancer (Jones, Izturis, or Eyre). You'd fill BRob's spot, and get a LF and a rotation starter.

For Bedard, maybe something like Murton, Gallagher or Marshall, Guzman, and a salary-balancer (Jones, Izturis, or Eyre).

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/teams/roster?team=bal

Bedard is making 3.4mill for the year (~1.7 mill if traded at the deadline). The O's could definitely get two players of Guzman and Murton/Gall/Mar caliber without adding payroll.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/teams/roster?team=chc

Not to mention these guys don't balance things...

Eyre 4mill

Jones 5.633mill

Izturis 4.25mill

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/teams/roster?team=bal

Bedard is making 3.4mill for the year (~1.7 mill if traded at the deadline). The O's could definitely get two players of Guzman and Murton/Gall/Mar caliber without adding payroll.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/teams/roster?team=chc

Not to mention these guys don't balance things...

Eyre 4mill

Jones 5.633mill

Izturis 4.25mill

As I explained, payroll this year isn't the issue.

Payroll next year is the issue.

Bedard will be in line for what, 7 or 8 million next year?

If the Cubs are worried about paying that to a top pitcher, they need to look elsewhere...Maybe they can get the Mariners to eat Weaver's contract or something. :rolleyes:

But you are saying salary will be an issue to the Cubs. I am saying the O's should be able to get equal value elsewhere without taking on a bad contract. If Tejada/Mora/Gibbons had salary coming back it would make sense. But to a team looking to go deep into the playoffs a 1.7 mill, high end rotation lefty shouldn't require a salary dump to get two players, especially one being an injury risk (Guzman as you posted earlier).

If the Cubs are worried about paying that to a top pitcher, they need to look elsewhere...Maybe they can get the Mariners to eat Weaver's contract or something. :rolleyes:

Did you bother reading anything I wrote?

The Cubs' ownership situation means that for all intents and purposes, their payroll is frozen.

It has nothing to do with whether Bedard is worth $10 million or ten cents. For a deal to work, the numbers for 2008 and beyond have to balance (or come close to it).

But you are saying salary will be an issue to the Cubs. I am saying the O's should be able to get equal value elsewhere without taking on a bad contract. If Tejada/Mora/Gibbons had salary coming back it would make sense. But to a team looking to go deep into the playoffs a 1.7 mill, high end rotation lefty shouldn't require a salary dump to get two players, especially one being an injury risk (Guzman as you posted earlier).

Well Guzman was the third player you were getting back, but who's counting. ;)

One conceivable outcome is that the Cubs could trade for Bedard in July, and then pending resolution to the ownership question, possibly trade him again over the Winter for prospects.

Well Guzman was the third player you were getting back, but who's counting. ;)

One conceivable outcome is that the Cubs could trade for Bedard in July, and then pending resolution to the ownership question, possibly trade him again over the Winter for prospects.

First I read it as Murton, Gallagher or Marshall (as in one of these, not Murton and one or M or G). Which is why I said they could do better then these 2 players. That makes it a bit better, but I still don't like the dump...

Jones is a FA right??? What about Eyre and Izturis

I am not a fan of either of these trades although i would love to get Buchholz from Boston.

Yeah Bucholz would be nice. Maybe him or Bowden with Lowrie and Lars Anderson or Zach Daeges. One of the pitchers and 2 of the position players would put the trade slightly in our favor in my opinion. Would Boston do it?

Doubtful.

Yeah Bucholz would be nice. Maybe him or Bowden with Lowrie and Lars Anderson or Zach Daeges. One of the pitchers and 2 of the position players would put the trade slightly in our favor in my opinion. Would Boston do it?

Doubtful.

I like Bowden an awful lot as well, though Lowrie is not someone I'd like back.

Did you bother reading anything I wrote?

The Cubs' ownership situation means that for all intents and purposes, their payroll is frozen.

It has nothing to do with whether Bedard is worth $10 million or ten cents. For a deal to work, the numbers for 2008 and beyond have to balance (or come close to it).

Yes i did and then i referenced back(in my mind) to your garbage offer for Bedard.

As i said, just move on. If we have to take back one of the terrible contracts for you guys to take back Bedard, it is even worth discussing.

Archived