Manny still worth 400 million?

brianod

Trout signed his deal much earlier in the process. That makes a huge difference.

1 year earlier. He had 3 arbitration years and 3 free agency years covered. If you give Manny a five year deal that is 2 arbitration and 3 free agency years. 125 million seems fair as he wont get close to 25 million in arbitration this year.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 year earlier. He had 3 arbitration years and 3 free agency years covered. If you give Manny a five year deal that is 2 arbitration and 3 free agency years. 125 million seems fair as he wont get close to 25 million in arbitration this year.

Two years earlier. Trout signed right before his third season.

Two years earlier. Trout signed right before his third season.

I see he signed a 1 year deal for 1 million for 2014 and later he signed a six year deal starting in the 2015 year season for 144 million. So you can think of it as 7 year 145 million dollar deal that covered 3 free agency years.

I see he signed a 1 year deal for 1 million for 2014 and later he signed a six year deal starting in the 2015 year season for 144 million. So you can think of it as 7 year 145 million dollar deal that covered 3 free agency years.

I do think the deals were dependent on each other. The Angels had no reason to give him the million and the extension was signed before the next season started.

I do think the deals were dependent on each other. The Angels had no reason to give him the million and the extension was signed before the next season started.

Ok then if Machado signed a 5 year 140 million dollar contract now it would be equivalent to Trouts 6 year 145 million contract as Manny made 5 million in arbitration last year. As Manny is t as good as Trout we get bak to my 5 year 125 million dollar contract.

Like the rest of the team, his production has declined in the second half. I think it has moved the needle down from "sign him for whatever he asks for" to something else. What that is, I don't know but someone needs to make that decision and someone needs to do it soon. Given DD's track record on major decisions, as opposed to fringe players, I have no faith in him to do it.

Is it possible you to make a post without insulting DD? Any extension for Machado will involve ownership.

Ok then if Machado signed a 5 year 140 million dollar contract now it would be equivalent to Trouts 6 year 145 million contract as Manny made 5 million in arbitration last year. As Manny is t as good as Trout we get bak to my 5 year 125 million dollar contract.

Except most folks (that I read/talked to) thought Trout left money on the table.

I just don't think Manny says yes to 5/125.

Do you understand how bad 5/125 is when you break it down? He agreed to 5M this year in ARB 1(2016) which means next year in ARB 2(2017) he's going to get roughly 9M and about 14M in ARB3(2018). This means you believe he'll forego a long term deal and instead agree to sell his 1st 3 years of FA for 117M total with no further guaranteed cash. Why would he accept this offer when in all reality he could wait two years, hit FA, and get a bare minimum of a 250M deal, if not substantial more? He's not going to leave that kind of money on the table and leave it up to chance, especially with the insurance the players have these days.

Do you understand how bad 5/125 is when you break it down? He agreed to 5M this year in ARB 1(2016) which means next year in ARB 2(2017) he's going to get roughly 9M and about 14M in ARB3(2018). This means you believe he'll forego a long term deal and instead agree to sell his 1st 3 years of FA for 117M total with no further guaranteed cash. Why would he accept this offer when in all reality he could wait two years, hit FA, and get a bare minimum of a 250M deal, if not substantial more? He's not going to leave that kind of money on the table and leave it up to chance, especially with the insurance the players have these days.

i a, not sure if your calculations are right if you assume he gets 23 million in two years of arbitration that would leave 102 million for 3 years. That is 34 million a year. Who would turn that down? He gets five years of security and he is a free agent again at 29. Plus he gets insane amount of money for the 3 years of free agency. If he won't take that he doesn't want to play for the team.

Trout didn't get close to those numbers and Machado isn't anywhere close to Trout performance wise. Give him a 5 year 126 million dollar contract.

Either Trout's agent is an idiot, or Trout is, or both. Or, Trout really, really wanted to stay with the Angels and wanted some security. He could have made much more.

Either Trout's agent is an idiot, or Trout is, or both. Or, Trout really, really wanted to stay with the Angels and wanted some security. He could have made much more.

I don't know why you say that. Angels overpaid for arbitration years and for his years of free agency he gave up he will make 34 million a year. I believe that is more than anyone made this year. Plus it gave him 145 million dollars of guaranteed salary instead of 1. I think the Angels overpaid.

Archived