Manny still worth 400 million?

brianod

Before Harper completely fell off the table this year. That number was assuming he put up.numbers this year that he did last year.

The same people who advocate for megadeals can't handle a few months of slumping baseball from a guy making $5 million let alone $40 million. Let alone several years of sharp decline. Which does happen.

I've tried explaining this to them but they forget about the time they wanted to sign Alfonso Soriano/Carlos Lee/Johan Santana/Zack Grienke/Albert Pujols/Mark Teixiera/CC Sabathia/BJ Ryan/Jim Johnson/Nick Markakis/Brian Roberts to 40 years/$The Moon, and proceed to advocate giving the same contract to the next guy. Never mind that if they had their way with roster construction this would be a $300 million, 40-win team. They don't give a crap about pragmatism. They aren't serious about baseball, they just want to hear themselves complain about something, anything.

Pay the man baby. Lmfao.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The same people who advocate for megadeals can't handle a few months of slumping baseball from a guy making $5 million let alone $40 million. Let alone several years of sharp decline. Which does happen.

I've tried explaining this to them but they forget about the time they wanted to sign Alfonso Soriano/Carlos Lee/Johan Santana/Zack Grienke/Albert Pujols/Mark Teixiera/CC Sabathia/BJ Ryan/Jim Johnson/Nick Markakis/Brian Roberts to 40 years/$The Moon, and proceed to advocate giving the same contract to the next guy. Never mind that if they had their way with roster construction this would be a $300 million, 40-win team. They don't give a crap about pragmatism. They aren't serious about baseball, they just want to hear themselves complain about something, anything.

Pay the man baby. Lmfao.

Kind of late to the conversation, Manny is going to be expensive, the Orioles knew that when they gave Davis that contract.

While I truly believe Manny is a safer bet the idea of having 55-60 tied up in two players is really scary.

I don't know why you say that. Angels overpaid for arbitration years and for his years of free agency he gave up he will make 34 million a year. I believe that is more than anyone made this year. Plus it gave him 145 million dollars of guaranteed salary instead of 1. I think the Angels overpaid.

You're going to be absolutely shocked when 2018 FA hits. You have 30 year old pitchers like David price making 7/217 and Max Scherzer making 7/210. You don't think a position player, who is innately less risky due to not being a pitcher, who is also much younger and more valuable is going to get paid more if not significantly more?

I don't know why you say that. Angels overpaid for arbitration years and for his years of free agency he gave up he will make 34 million a year. I believe that is more than anyone made this year. Plus it gave him 145 million dollars of guaranteed salary instead of 1. I think the Angels overpaid.

With due respect -- you're out of your mind! :D

Ryan Howard won an arbitration award of $10 mm for his first year of arbitration in 2008. That scared the Phillies and they paid him $15 mm and $19 mm in his 2nd and 3rd arb years. There has been a ton of salary inflation since then, and Trout is a far more well-rounded player than Howard. If he had taken the Angels to the mat, he'd have destroyed Howard's salaries in arbitration. Instead, he's getting $6, 16 and 20 mm for his three arb years. The Angels are paying only for prime years and have no obligations to pay for his decline seasons. It's a ridiculously team-friendly deal.

1 year earlier. He had 3 arbitration years and 3 free agency years covered. If you give Manny a five year deal that is 2 arbitration and 3 free agency years. 125 million seems fair as he wont get close to 25 million in arbitration this year.
I think he will get 25 M in arb. 10 next year and at least 15 the following year maybe more depending on how he improves.

With due respect -- you're out of your mind! :D

Ryan Howard won an arbitration award of $10 mm for his first year of arbitration in 2008. That scared the Phillies and they paid him $15 mm and $19 mm in his 2nd and 3rd arb years. There has been a ton of salary inflation since then, and Trout is a far more well-rounded player than Howard. If he had taken the Angels to the mat, he'd have destroyed Howard's salaries in arbitration. Instead, he's getting $6, 16 and 20 mm for his three arb years. The Angels are paying only for prime years and have no obligations to pay for his decline seasons. It's a ridiculously team-friendly deal.

I disagree he will be highest paid player in the league next season how is that team friendly? You guys are thinking free agent prices when guys aren't free agents. Manny has two years more of pre free agency years. You don't need to pay those guys record amount of salaries. You can always just go year to year next two seasons and if Manny get serious injury or declines you are off the hook. If Manny wants lifetime financial security he shouldn't get highest salary in the league. If you want to do that you can always do that in 2 years.

Archived