Manny still worth 400 million?

brianod

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we don't give him 400 than someone else will, and we all know who those teams might be. If we could extend Manny after the year and pay him 10/40 through his age 24-34 seasons, it will probably be worth it.

Isn't every 1.0 of WAR worth around 8 million. That means Manny has been worth 56 million this year in his age 23 season. It's a solid investment.

If we don't give him 400 than someone else will, and we all know who those teams might be. If we could extend Manny after the year and pay him 10/40 through his age 24-34 seasons, it will probably be worth it.

Isn't every 1.0 of WAR worth around 8 million. That means Manny has been worth 56 million this year in his age 23 season. It's a solid investment.

That's the free agent value but the math breaks down pretty quickly once you start getting past 2 wins.

A free agent Trout isn't getting a 1/80 deal.

That's the free agent value but the math breaks down pretty quickly once you start getting past 2 wins.

A free agent Trout isn't getting a 1/80 deal.

If, for some reason, Manny's agent explicitly told the world he was only looking for a one-year deal when he hits free agency I think he'd get north of $50M. Not too far off 6 or 7 times $8M.

But that would never happen and you have to start factoring in higher levels of risk the further out you go, and the building in of decline years to the deal. But Manny might hit free agency pre-peak, so his average year over the deal could plausibly be 6-7 wins.

I don't know if he'll get $400M, but a 23/24-year-old with a career value of about 25 wins (i.e. he's already passed a handful of HOFers) is worth about whatever the ceiling is.

Nick Markakis was a very good young player. Through his age 23 season he was worth 6.7 wins. Through age 23 Manny has already had three individual seasons more valuable than that.

Markakis also got 11 million a year when he became a free agent. The way people go over board over Manny is ridiculous. We already are overpaying for Davis why does everyone wants to overpay for Machado?

Markakis also got 11 million a year when he became a free agent. The way people go over board over Manny is ridiculous. We already are overpaying for Davis why does everyone wants to overpay for Machado?

Because, with twenty seasons between them, Markakis and Davis have had one season as good as Manny's third best.

He's 23.

When Josh Donaldson was 23 he put up a 795 OPS....in AA.

His offensive numbers are pretty similar to Justin Upton through 23 years old. Except Upton steals bases. He hasn't put up a 900 ops season yet and might never. Much less a 1000 OPS season. cal put up 10 WAR at 23. Had Manny done that.

Guys like Donaldson and Ortiz are exceptions. I wouldn't use them as comparisons.

I would offer Manny six years at 25 million if he doesn't take it let him play out his contract or trade him.

Because, with twenty seasons between them, Markakis and Davis have had one season as good as Manny's third best.

I don't know what Markakis and Davis have to do with Machado. Why are you comparing them? Are we going to throw out Flaherty's stats next?

Yes, the last time a player this good reached free agency this young was ARod, and he got a record breaking deal. It's not crazy to think we could be seeing another pretty soon.

I think Manny could break the record. I just don't think he'll devastate it. The record right now is $325 mm, and that's over 13 years. If Manny wants 13 years, I'd do it in a heartbeat, but I still doubt he'd get $400 mm. Certainly not for a 10 year deal.

I think Manny could break the record. I just don't think he'll devastate it. The record right now is $325 mm, and that's over 13 years. If Manny wants 13 years, I'd do it in a heartbeat, but I still doubt he'd get $400 mm. Certainly not for a 10 year deal.
An ARod type would get much more than 325 M today just taking in account inflation.

Archived